Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Just want to listen to music on my Beolab 8000 sometimes...

rated by 0 users
This post has 41 Replies | 2 Followers

didole
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Bronze Member
didole Posted: Sat, Sep 16 2017 7:41 PM

Hi all,

right now I have a Beoplay V1-40 in my living room, with an Apple TV and 2 BeoLab 8000 speakers connected to it. This is an amazing setup for watching movies!

However, when I want to listen to music (typically through AirPlay from my iPhone to the AppleTV), the time between "I feel the need to listen to music" and the moment when the music starts playing drives me crazy. I have to:

- Press "VMEM" on my beloved Beo4 remote

- Wait for a looong time until my TV is turned on

- Switch to "Speaker Mode 2" (default for the source AppleTV is 3, because for movies, that's what I need)

- And THEN I can finally start streaming music

I am looking for a solution where this is instant, I want to push one button to turn on the "stereo", and get going - while still using my gorgeous Beolab 8000 speaker, of course!

Any proposals what I can do?

Thanks in advance,

Christof

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member
Perhaps you could use a Beo1 remote and set a memory button to your desired settings?

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Sep 17 2017 9:37 AM
You could go down the Moment route, it achieves the one button start.

But means using Deezer and some local music, which works for me, but in the software isn't quite as slick as it should be
mczac
Not Ranked
Posts 49
Bronze Member
mczac replied on Sun, Sep 17 2017 10:23 AM

1. Daisy-chain your BeoLab speakers or connect them via Y-splitter to be driven from one Din8 connector in the end/

2. Get https://almando.com/index.php/b-o/b-o-apple/almando-multiplay-stereo.html

3. Get https://www.apple.com/airport-express/

4. Connect your TV output to Almando Input 1

5. Connect AirPort Express to Almando SPDIF Input

6. Connect your BeoLab 8000 speakers to the output

Now if you want to listen to the music on any of your Apple gear, just stream it to Airport Express and BeoLab 8000 will turn on "immediately"

If for some reason you are watching TV and streaming music to AirPort express at the same time, priority will always be on Input 1(TV), you will have to switch off TV to get the music from the AirPort Express.

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Sun, Sep 17 2017 10:37 AM

didole:
- Wait for a looong time until my TV is turned on
program the Quick-Start Timers (Power Settings - Standby) 
didole:
- Switch to "Speaker Mode 2"
You can first start the music and then switch the speakers with the Beo4 (SPEAKERS - 2)
didole:
I am looking for a solution where this is instant, I want to push one button to turn on the "stereo", and get going - while still using my gorgeous Beolab 8000 speaker, of course!
as proposed a Beoremote 1

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Or:

assign a stereo mode (what you call Speaker 2) to the ATV and change to Speaker 3, when you use it for video content.

Or:

connect another AirPlay-capable device and set that up for music listening - assign it to one of the spare buttons/commands on your remote.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

didole
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Bronze Member
didole replied on Sun, Sep 17 2017 7:19 PM

mczac:

1. Daisy-chain your BeoLab speakers or connect them via Y-splitter to be driven from one Din8 connector in the end/

2. Get https://almando.com/index.php/b-o/b-o-apple/almando-multiplay-stereo.html

3. Get https://www.apple.com/airport-express/

4. Connect your TV output to Almando Input 1

5. Connect AirPort Express to Almando SPDIF Input

6. Connect your BeoLab 8000 speakers to the output

Now if you want to listen to the music on any of your Apple gear, just stream it to Airport Express and BeoLab 8000 will turn on "immediately"

If for some reason you are watching TV and streaming music to AirPort express at the same time, priority will always be on Input 1(TV), you will have to switch off TV to get the music from the AirPort Express.

Isn't it strange that the only complete solution requires buying a third-party product? Shouldn't buying a device like the Essence/Core also provide the capability to stream music to my Beolabs without either waiting for ages for the TV to turn on, or running the TV in a power-consuming "Quick Startup" mode?

didole
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Bronze Member
didole replied on Sun, Sep 17 2017 7:20 PM

I would have to give up my beloved Beo4... Used to it since 1996 (when I got my Ouverture).

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, Sep 17 2017 7:31 PM

To get around the speaker setup problem, how about using a cheap hdmi splitter on the ATV output, and connecting both to two different hdmi inputs on the BV1.  Hence when selecting the 'music hdmi' the default can be Speaker 2. 

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member
didole:

I would have to give up my beloved Beo4... Used to it since 1996 (when I got my Ouverture).

I had the same problem, I bought beo5 and beo6 sold them

It took years but after finding Beoremote 1 I moved on and replaced all Beo4

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, Sep 17 2017 8:55 PM

Get an Amazon Echo Dot, attach to Beolab and if your have Amazon Music, just ask it to play what you want. Works for me!

Peter

didole
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Bronze Member
didole replied on Sun, Sep 17 2017 8:55 PM

Guy:

To get around the speaker setup problem, how about using a cheap hdmi splitter on the ATV output, and connecting both to two different hdmi inputs on the BV1.  Hence when selecting the 'music hdmi' the default can be Speaker 2. 

Wow, that's a creative idea! But it still does not solve the issue with the startup time. Does anybody have an idea about the power consumption of Beoplay V1 in "deep sleep" vs. "quick startup" mode?

In the end the solution might be buying a Beosound 35 for listening to music, but this sounds stupid...

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Mon, Sep 18 2017 3:36 PM

Have you considered a Playmaker? they would connect to the speakers and the TV into the playmaker - you would then be able to use your beo4 to control the music and it would be quite instant - quite a cheap workaround. I have a playmaker 2 that is wired to the router and it's really quite good and flexible.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Mon, Sep 18 2017 6:07 PM

Will a Beoplay S8 hub be of any help here ?

Don't know if the ATV can be connected to both the BV (for image and sound via HDMI) and the hub (for sound only via optical) at the same time ?

The Connection Hub allows users to connect up to three audio sources (e.g., TV, audio streaming device, and amplifier) depending on how you want to set up your product. You need to purchase the optical cable and analogue cable separately. The Connection Hub enables you to change the volume via IR learning by the remote control. The Connection Hub will automatically switch to an audio source that plays. 

didole
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Bronze Member
didole replied on Mon, Sep 18 2017 7:15 PM

Andrew:

Have you considered a Playmaker? they would connect to the speakers and the TV into the playmaker - you would then be able to use your beo4 to control the music and it would be quite instant - quite a cheap workaround. I have a playmaker 2 that is wired to the router and it's really quite good and flexible.

Does this really work like this? I always thought that speakers must be connected to the TV, and the Playmaker/Essence/Core to the TV? Sounds like the perfect solution, too good to be true...

Ryan
Not Ranked
Toronto, Canada
Posts 33
Bronze Member
Ryan replied on Tue, Sep 19 2017 1:23 AM

playmaker has powerlink in and out - so it would do exactly what you want!

BeoRTB
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
BeoRTB replied on Tue, Sep 19 2017 1:31 AM

Hello Christof,

This is quite simple as B&O has built a product that is designed for complete home integration, including the ability to trigger Macro commands that can execute a series of commands, including exactly what you have described.  Purchase a BeoLink Gateway from your local B&O store, and have the custom integrator / programmer over to your home to tailor the programming for you.  This can be executed with one button press.

Ryan

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Tue, Sep 19 2017 8:42 AM

Hi Ryan

Your BV would connect to the line in on the Playmaker and the Playmaker to the BL8000 via Powerlink, switching on the TV brings the TV sound through the BL8000's, selecting airplay on your iphone or streaming from another phone switches on the playmaker and the sound comes through the BL8000's with no need for the TV to be on. You can control the volume, bass, treble and Forward to next track or back using the Beo4. Have a look at the manual as it will give you an idea on how easy it is to use and flexible. They can be bought for around £100 second hand and sound quality is very good. You will need the right RJ45 to powerlink cables or converters and one from the TV to playmaker but they can be bought from Steve on this site.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Sep 20 2017 1:56 PM

Andrew:

Hi Ryan

Your BV would connect to the line in on the Playmaker and the Playmaker to the BL8000 via Powerlink, switching on the TV brings the TV sound through the BL8000's, selecting airplay on your iphone or streaming from another phone switches on the playmaker and the sound comes through the BL8000's with no need for the TV to be on. You can control the volume, bass, treble and Forward to next track or back using the Beo4. Have a look at the manual as it will give you an idea on how easy it is to use and flexible. They can be bought for around £100 second hand and sound quality is very good. You will need the right RJ45 to powerlink cables or converters and one from the TV to playmaker but they can be bought from Steve on this site.

Won't this affect the sound and volume adjustment possibilities from the TV? 

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
Posts 2,920
Bronze Member
stefan replied on Wed, Sep 20 2017 2:24 PM

Why not just use V.MEM in audiomode? - AV - V.MEM

I have a Fire TV connected to a BV7-40. Speakers are set up to SPEAKER 1 (videomode) SPEAKER 2 (audiomode).

IF I press LIST on my Beo 4(s) AV will be displayed , now pressing V.MEM will start BV7 in audiomode (selecting V.MEM as source, keep the screen black, turn on the Fire TV, keep STAND in STDBy mode, start SPEAKER2). Now I can use may iphone for selecting Spotify music. It`s quite fast, a two button solution for my Beo4s and BL1000, a one button solution for my Beo6 and Beolink app with MLGW. And it works in all linkrooms in my Beolink setup (I don`t need to press AV in the audio linkrooms with BL3500/BL2000).

Should also work in your setup with V1 and apple tv...(?).

Stefan

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Michael:

Of course it would!

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

stefan:

There is no AV-mode on BSys4-based BV's.

And besides, the OP doesn't want to turn on the tv, when he wants to listen to music.

MM

didole
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Bronze Member
didole replied on Wed, Sep 20 2017 8:20 PM

Millemissen:

Michael:

Of course it would!

MM

What does this mean exactly?

didole
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Bronze Member
didole replied on Wed, Sep 20 2017 8:21 PM

Andrew:

Hi Ryan

Will the center speaker on my TV still work in that scenario, when I watch TV?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

didole:

Will the center speaker on my TV still work in that scenario, when I watch TV?

That really depends....

....on how your setup is configured.

The audio engine of your V1 gives you the opportunity to tweak a lot of settings and to save these to presets.

One of these opportunities is to determine which speakers (internal and external) should be active in a given situation.

You can (or should I say, you might) configure the internal speakers to act as the center speaker and configure the PL outputs, that you want to use for connecting the Playmaker (as right/left front speaker) as a line-out connection - see the User Guide for how to.

However, now begins the trouble, because then you would have to deal with volume controlling of two systems (the V1 and the Playmaker) and you would loose all possibility to set distances and delays of the fake-front-speakers (means the BL8000 connected to the Playmaker).

A way of setting up speakers, that I would not recommend!

With the audio engine in your V1 you have excellent possibilities to make different settings for different combinations of speakers/connected speakers and to save these as Speakers Groups - you already know that.

Maybe you should just accept that the tv is the hub/the best hub for your sound listening, including 2 channel music listening.

Just let the BL8000's be connected to the V1 - after configuring the power settings in order to have the tv turning on faster for times, when you typically need it, it will 'play' your music quite instantly.

Having to switch from the default Speaker Group for your ATV to the one, you have setup for the BL8000's only, may be annoying - but can be done.

Only way too avoid this switching would (as I already have recommended) be to use a second ATV (an older 3rd gen would be ok) for music only...

...with settings made just for this.

N.B. In this case you could even choose 'Music' or 'Flat/Direct Mode' as the default Sound Mode for that device - the 'video-ATV' will normally start in 'Movie mode' as the default 'Sound Mode'.

Please consult the Technical Sound Guide, if you need more information on that.

MM

didole
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Bronze Member
didole replied on Thu, Sep 21 2017 7:09 PM

Millemissen:
Maybe you should just accept that the tv is the hub/the best hub for your sound listening, including 2 channel music listening.

Yes, maybe I just have to accept this. I was hoping to be able to just connect a B&O Music System to the V1, connect speakers to it, and then benefit from the quick startup, without losing any functionality. Basically like it was in the good old ML days, when I had my Avant and my Ouverture... Guess I was too ambitious!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Of cource you can connect a B&O 'Music System' to V1 - using NL (and maybe a NL/ML Converter)

However, if you connect the BL8000's to the 'Music System', they won't be there for the V1....

....which probably is not what you would want.

MM

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Thu, Sep 21 2017 9:41 PM

And what about my suggestion of a S8 hub ?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

CB:

And what about my suggestion of a S8 hub ?

Would be usefull, if the connected speakers can turn on/off via the line signal.

The BL8000's needs to be triggered - the newer speakers not.

The PL-output (for some reason) turns into a line-output, if you connect a B&O device/PL to it.

I am not aware, that this should have changed.

MM

stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
Posts 2,920
Bronze Member
stefan replied on Fri, Sep 22 2017 1:58 PM

Millemissen:

stefan:

There is no AV-mode on BSys4-based BV's.

And besides, the OP doesn't want to turn on the tv, when he wants to listen to music.

MM

No AV mode? thanks for the information, I didn`t know that - so, again a feature lost in NL-TVs, and another reason not to buy....:(

If you turn on the TV (BV) in audiomode, you just turn on the audiosection, stand (if present)...screen stays black.

Stefan

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

stefan:

No AV mode? thanks for the information, I didn`t know that - so, again a feature lost in NL-TVs, and another reason not to buy....:(

Just like reading a Peter Pan posting Big Smile

MM

didole
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Bronze Member
didole replied on Sat, Sep 23 2017 6:58 PM

Millemissen:

Of cource you can connect a B&O 'Music System' to V1 - using NL (and maybe a NL/ML Converter)

However, if you connect the BL8000's to the 'Music System', they won't be there for the V1....

....which probably is not what you would want.

MM

Well, of course not! The one and only reason why I stick to B&O is that I can use my fantastic Beolab 8000 speakers for both TV and Music. But thanks for asking Stick out tongue

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Sun, Sep 24 2017 3:32 AM

I am surprised there are not more B&O fans interested in exactly this use case. I love my BL8000 (connected to a BV7) and considering to buy more BLs to connect to other televisions.

My use case is exactly the same as above. I would love to stream music to the BL speakers without turning on the television and ideally even without using the Beoremote One. Unfortunately, this does not work easily as this thread confirms.

I would have thought that it works better in a NL setup though? I thought you could use the Beomusic app to stream directly Deezer, TuneIn or from a DLNA server to a NL BV (such as the V1). I thought this would not require the remote at all and audio would just play? Am I missing something?

If this is not possible, this indeed leaves you in the same situation as I am. Unfortunately, DVD-A is no longer possible with the Beoremote One. So, you can either revert to an Beo4 and program DVD-A or you need two clicks (DVD and then P.Mute). I am eager to hear easier ways. Ideally, I'd find some way to play audio to the BL8000 without touching the remote (i.e., through some form of auto-sense).

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

I don't know how the BP V1 configures?

A trick for the Avant is to set startup timers for ON from say some things nscialable hour 03:01 to 03:00 next day. This effectively keeps the BV on quick startup. 

I assume pressing CD or Vmem etc.... can be fired up in 2.0 mode?

didole
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Bronze Member
didole replied on Sun, Sep 24 2017 8:43 AM

Mr 10Percent:

I don't know how the BP V1 configures?

A trick for the Avant is to set startup timers for ON from say some things nscialable hour 03:01 to 03:00 next day. This effectively keeps the BV on quick startup. 

I assume pressing CD or Vmem etc.... can be fired up in 2.0 mode?

You can do the same thing on the V1, but it will consume more power all the time (they don’t tell how much more), and I don’t want this. 

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Sun, Aug 5 2018 3:07 PM

steve1977:

I am surprised there are not more B&O fans interested in exactly this use case. I love my BL8000 (connected to a BV7) 

I'm a few weeks late to this discussion but I too have a very similar setup, the only difference is a MK1 BV10.

I have an ATV4 that is called up with V.MEM and configured with PUC etc so I can have the full joy of a Beo4 driven operation.

Just now I have tested my system: Pressing V.MEM, waiting for the curtains to open, selecting the music app (ATV is configured to never sleep), shuffling, then LIST LIST LIST, SPEAKER 2. Took a grand total of 51 seconds (I rounded up there).

I have found that using iTunes music with the BV on to be pretty great, as I can use the Beo4 to browse and search for more music and look through my library, cue up the next song etc. And if the act of typing searches with the Beo4 becomes too tedious, I just reach for my iPhone X and type in the name with the ATV app (which is usually ready and waiting on the iPhone screen). 

Before 2018 I was exclusively operating a very hi-fi style system without a BV and had an aux cable for tablet, phones, laptop and also a few beograms plus my beogram CD. But now my phone and ATV libraries are synced all the time and I just choose the device I want to hear it on basically. 

Beo4 'til I die!

didole
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Bronze Member
didole replied on Sun, Aug 5 2018 4:15 PM

Well, I basically gave up in the meantime, bought myself a pair of HomePods and enjoy listening to my music through them. Even through it feel SO stupid to have one pair of speakers for audio, and another one for video, in the same room...

didole
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Bronze Member
didole replied on Sun, Aug 5 2018 4:15 PM

- duplicate deleted -

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi didole,

Sorry for the late entry to this thread.  Another approach could be to add a music system that plays your required formats, which also has a Line input socket.  This could be a Beosound, an older B&O Beomaster, or a third party product such as Sonos Connect.

You can then connect from the Front Powerlink socket of the TV to the Line input of the music system and connect the speakers to the music system for easy access to the same speakers from both devices.

If this could work for you, please feel free to drop me a line via my sponsor link below with details of which music system best fits your needs and I will be pleased to suggest a way to cable your Beolab speakers to this to include the TV.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
Evan:

And if the act of typing searches with the Beo4 becomes too tedious, I just reach for my iPhone X and type in the name with the ATV app (which is usually ready and waiting on the iPhone screen).

Have you tried voice for the search term ?

I know that means putting the Beo4 down Smile

And picking up the Apple remote but you’re doing that for the X.

Of course you could use voice on the X as well.

I get about a 90% success rate.

BeoNut since '75

Page 1 of 2 (42 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS