Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BS Essence in an integrated setup with tv?

rated by 0 users
This post has 34 Replies | 2 Followers

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member
Millemissen Posted: Wed, Nov 8 2017 10:59 PM

As you might know it is possible to use an Essence (2nd gen) - or a Core - as an integrated part of a NL-BeoVision - to let it share the speakers of the tv.

Would be nice to hear from someone, who uses this kind of setup on a daily basis.

How does the setup behave, when you start an Essence source via the app?

Does all sources act the same?

Does using Spotify Connect turn on the BV?

How about when you cast using ChromeCast to the Essence - or Airplay to it.

Or using bluetooth?

I suppose, that these sources also are visible in the source list (of e.g. a BV11) - (this is not the case, if the Essence is just connected to the tv).

Does the timer functions of the Essence turn on the tv, then?

When the Essence is integrated with a BV, can it still be connected to another (in another room)?

All these questions because I ‘only’ have personal experience with the Essence as a connected (to a BV in another room in my house) device.

A post from Mr Andersen in another thread about the behaviour of the Bang & Olufsen app used with an Essence/Core that is integrated with a BV triggered my curiousity.

Read here: http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/28341/223426.aspx#223426

In other words - will it be worth it to have a dedicated Essence/Core integrated with the BV?

Or is connecting an Essence (used in another room with its own speakers) to the BV just as good?

Pardon me for this/these sophisticated/somewhat nerdy question/s - but this is where the fun with the current B&O products begins ;-)

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Really - no one has a BS Essence or BS Core set up to integrate with his/her BV???

MM

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Thu, Nov 9 2017 11:51 PM

I'll see if I have time this weekend to move my Essence over to the BV and not have any speakers connected to the essence directly, and report back.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Thanks a lot Sal.

But I could do that myself at home.

Just thought that someone must have an integrated setup running already - and that he/she could report back.

MM

talfaia
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Silver Member
talfaia replied on Fri, Nov 10 2017 4:57 PM

Hi MM, I have a BS Core integrated with BV11 with BL9 as fronts and BL3s as surrounds and backs on a 7.1 setup. The reason I included a core into this is because I wanted to get spotify connect and chromecast added to my setup and control music via the B&O app. I also use DLNA a lot and have a large library stored on my NAS (qnap) using twonky server. All my files are in FLAC format and most were ripped from my old CD collection.

Chromecast and airplay do not work on an integrated setup (apparently due to licensing, etc)

Spotify connect works well, but if you make a queue on spotify, that would replace the queue that you have on the B&O app (ie you cannot program the core to play a song on spotify and then play another one from your on collection via DLNA).

On the other hand, Deezer and DLNA are supposed to be fully integrated, which would be nice that you can make integrated playlists using deezer and songs from your collection. However, whenever I do this, I have no sound from any song played from my NAS via DLNA. This is the biggest issue that I have from this setup. If I play the song directly from the BV11 via the home media, it plays fine...

Deezer HiFI works well on this setup as well.

MrAndersen
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 226
Bronze Member

Hi Millemissen

In an integrated the TV is linked to a Essence MKII or BS Core and "enhanced" with the capabilities of that product. If you play Spotify or other sources on the linked product (EZMKII or BS Core) it will play on the TV. You can also start the sources directly from the TV as the sources are added to the source list of the TV.

What we have done in the latest version of the app is to make this setup appear as one. This means that in the Home view you will only see the TV and only interact with the TV. So Deezer, TuneIn, expand etc. will all behave like it would for example on a BeoSound 1, just with the TV speakers. The integration will be detected by the app and you are notified when they are merged. 

This is quite complicated and in my opinion not something you do unless you get help from an installer or are a super user. When done this is, however, quite powerful and really makes the TV more capable. 

I hope this helps

Thomas, Bang & Olufsen

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Thanks Thomas,

once I have my ‘new’ main tv - and I get the money together for an extra EZNKll/Core - I’ll give it a try.

I am pretty sure, that I’ll figure out how to set it up.

I was just wondering how much benefit there is in dedicating/integrating the EZMKll/Core to the tv versus having one somewhere in the setup ‘just connected’ to it.

Seems to be the way to go, though....since the NL capacities of the tv’s are far behind those of the audiosystems.

You (or Petros Beli...) really should do a tutorial video on this subject - in order to show the costumers, what is possible today in terms of integration.

Petros once made one, but things move on...new app, new products etc.

MM

jimcaj
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 126
Bronze Member
jimcaj replied on Wed, Nov 15 2017 1:19 PM

Millemissen:
once I have my ‘new’ main tv - and I get the money together for an extra EZNKll/Core - I’ll give it a try.

What model do you have in mind? For my part, I cannot afford the Eclipse, don't want Android and I'm not sure about BV11 Sad

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

I’ll post pictures as soon as I get it up and running ;-))

MM

Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Flere replied on Thu, Nov 16 2017 8:48 PM
It works as if the Essence sources are built in the BV.

So the answers to most of your questions is yes.

- Flere

smile and enjoy the moment

Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Flere replied on Thu, Nov 16 2017 9:07 PM

Millemissen:

As you might know it is possible to use an Essence (2nd gen) - or a Core - as an integrated part of a NL-BeoVision - to let it share the speakers of the tv.

Would be nice to hear from someone, who uses this kind of setup on a daily basis.

How does the setup behave, when you start an Essence source via the app?

==> BV wakes up, applies the settings for this source and the music is played.

Does all sources act the same?

==> Per source you can configure the default settings like sound and speakers etc

Does using Spotify Connect turn on the BV?

==> yes, but I do not know if you will hear the music. It did not work in the past and now I do not have Spotify anymore.

How about when you cast using ChromeCast to the Essence - or Airplay to it.

Or using bluetooth?

I suppose, that these sources also are visible in the source list (of e.g. a BV11) - (this is not the case, if the Essence is just connected to the tv).

==> yes, see picture of previous post

Does the timer functions of the Essence turn on the tv, then?

==> do not know, did not try, but I guess it will work

When the Essence is integrated with a BV, can it still be connected to another (in another room)?

==> yes. and vice versa. Except for the licensing related problems (like with Spotify) it really works as if the BV has built in the sources of the Essence sources. In the app you still see two devices, but I understand that this will be changed and you see the BV alone instead and the BV will be able to do what the Essence2 or Core can do.

All these questions because I ‘only’ have personal experience with the Essence as a connected (to a BV in another room in my house) device.

A post from Mr Andersen in another thread about the behaviour of the Bang & Olufsen app used with an Essence/Core that is integrated with a BV triggered my curiousity.

Read here: http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/28341/223426.aspx#223426

In other words - will it be worth it to have a dedicated Essence/Core integrated with the BV?

==> IMHO yes.

Or is connecting an Essence (used in another room with its own speakers) to the BV just as good?

==> No. 

- Flere

Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Flere replied on Thu, Nov 16 2017 9:24 PM
I was wrong.

Like Spotify, Google Cast does not seem to work in the integrated setup with an Essence2.

Do not know for the Core.

- Flere

talfaia
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Silver Member
talfaia replied on Thu, Nov 16 2017 10:38 PM

HI Flere,

I have a core integrated with BV11. I can confirm that Spotify connect works very well. Google Cast does not work at all though (if you look at the set up page in the B&O app there's a disclaimer stating the same).

I'm having a problem with my core as it does not play music stored on my NAS (I use twonkyserver) and all my files are flac from ripped CDs. The source Music is shown on my BV11 but whenever I call a song from my NAS using the B&O app, it doesn't play (the playlist stops but the file is shown on the TV as "now playing). Do you experience the same?

Thanks 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Flere:
I was wrong.

Like Spotify, Google Cast does not seem to work in the integrated setup with an Essence2.

That was, what I wanted to know....
.....and it kind of contradicts what Mr Andersen wrote.
Feeding Deezer using the app will start the tv right away, I am sure and that is nice.
Starting DLNA/Music also.
But one already hs Netradio built in to the tv (in your screenshot as Radio) and can start that with one touch (or two) on the remote.
Personally I don’t use Bluetooth on the main setup - but for those, who do, it’s nice.
Not being able to start up the tv (from Standby or to switch source instantly) when you use Spotify Connect and Casting is a drawback.
(Nothing, that B&O can be held responsible for, I know)
Maybe this integrated version is at most important to those, who use Deezer as their music streaming provider.
My conclusion - as of now....with no Deezer account - there is too little benefit adding/integrating an extra Essence/Core, if you already have one elsewhere in the setup with its own speakers connected.
Maybe it is time for a change from Spotify to Deezer ;-))
NB!!!
Writing the above, I just saw the post that talfaia wrote - there is more to this....must be.
Also I can easily join in to a Spotify Connect session (as well as a Cast session) on my Essence from my V1 (Essence connected there).
Will make some screenshots tomorrow (time for bed here)
MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Millemissen:

Flere:
I was wrong.

NB!!!
Writing the above, I just saw the post that talfaia wrote - there is more to this....must be.
Also I can easily join in to a Spotify Connect session (as well as a Cast session) on my Essence from my V1 (Essence connected there).
Will make some screenshots tomorrow (time for bed here)
MM

As you see, I can easily play Spotify Connect content from my Essence on my V1 in a remote room.

This Essence is connected, not integrated.

I can initiate the playback (on the V1) either through adding it in the app or through using the Join command there.

When this is possible, why shouldn’t it be possible to do the same with an integrated Essence (or Core)?

Question is: would starting the playback on the (integrated) Essence then turn on the tv from standby....

.....which would be nice.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

This is how it looked on the (old) app

MM

Mogelmose
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 88
Bronze Member
Mogelmose replied on Sun, Nov 19 2017 9:50 PM

Just to be clear here.

If i have a BV11, 14, Avant or such and i add a core i get a TV that works exactly as my other Multiroom speakers until i press TV on my remote, then its a TV?
How do i integrate it? Is it a part of the core setup?

Besides the size, why should i choose the Core instead of a Essence MkII and vice versa?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

You might be interested in the digital line-in of the BS Core - the Essence ‘only’ offers an analog line-input port.

There might be other differences in the hardware - but whether you/we will notice that in daily life/listening or not, is questionable.

And then there is the thing with AirPlay 2 - we still don’t know anything there....which devices will support AirPlay 2?

MM

Mogelmose
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 88
Bronze Member
Mogelmose replied on Sun, Nov 19 2017 10:09 PM

I wont be ising the line in. Im only interested in the possibility to use BV11 speakers as a multiroom device without the screen turning on.

As i understand that is possible with this setup? :)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

The Essnce/Core would be a source (or rather more sources) of the BV11 and therefore the tv screen will always turn on, when you use this/these.

However - as with any source of the tv - you can configure how the screen behaves in the settings.

Personally I find it nice to see the track infos etc of what is played back.

MM

Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Flere replied on Fri, Nov 24 2017 11:32 AM
Is it also possible to connect the BeoLab speakers to the Essence in stead of to the BeoVision and then configure these BeoLab speakers as speakers in the BeoVision?

So for Essence music I do not need the BV but for BV I can use the BL ?

- Flere

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 521
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Mon, Jan 28 2019 9:18 PM

Millemissen:

The Essnce/Core would be a source (or rather more sources) of the BV11 and therefore the tv screen will always turn on, when you use this/these.

However - as with any source of the tv - you can configure how the screen behaves in the settings.

Personally I find it nice to see the track infos etc of what is played back.

MM

I’m sorry to dust of my this old topic; but I still can’t figure out the role of integration re: screen behaviour. If I configure the Emk2/Core as Integrated and select ‘Screen always off’ in my V1 for the sources coming from Emk2/Core, can I wake up to a timer from the Essence without the V1-screen turning on? Will the screen turn on when I change the radio station?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

I can’t tell for sure - my Essence is ‘connected to’ the tv’s (I am sorry, but I don’t want to change my setup).

However, I see no reason why an ‘integration’ should be different.

In my case playing from my Essence via the tv (= using the JOIN function), the screen turns on indicating what/which source is playing.

It then turns off approx 10 seconds later.

It is set to Time Out....because I prefer seeing what happens, when I start the playback. Tipping the remote (in my case the joystick) will display the metadata of what is playing - again just for a short time.

You can - if you please - set the screen behaviour to Never (or Always) on. This can even be set individually for each audio source.

I suppose, it will be similar, if you use the timer function/integrated setup.

Changing the radio station - when the screen is off - does not cause it to turn on.

You will only see the green light in the indicator at the top - which tells you that the tv is active.

Hope this helps.

MM

chucky
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 331
Bronze Member
chucky replied on Thu, Feb 7 2019 3:27 AM
I am playing with my new, yes I am stupid, Beosystem 4 with no 4K. I do not need dolby atmos, 7 speakers is more than enough as for the 4K I use OPPO, like more on the forum. Still experimenting.

I seriously do not see the the benifit of a dedicated core. I would spend my money on a Beoliving. It works fine, I am not happy with the integrated Deezer in the BS4 but I can play anything without turning anything else in the house. I use the Beolink 2 app. You can skip, play etc. It does not work exactly the same as the beolink app, which to me is a bit annoying when picking another playlist but then you can set a second source on the back and use the beolink app

Here it plays without the core in the kitchen on. So you will need to turn on the core in the kitchen on, secondly the bs4 in the living and then kill the kitchen again. With a macro still easy to programm. I am still experimenting as my new TV is in front of a glass panel running wires 7 meters away from a cabinet in the floor. This you want to test fully before running wires. I can always plug in a new core, I have even have a spare, but at this time I am pretty happy.
chucky
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 331
Bronze Member
chucky replied on Wed, Feb 20 2019 9:55 PM
I stand corrected. I have lost the connection with my Lutron. As soon as the beosystem 4 turns standby I am not to send any light commands. Looked at the energysaving settings, nothing. Wake up LAN ok. Always on is not really an option I think.

So I have a few options

Put in an ML active kit with the same IR eye, I think that is possible as long as you do not use double power. But it is another box in my cabinet.

I still have a Core but the old version, before the IR option. Question is if I set up the Core with integrated setup in my system 4 will it send light commands? There are already 2 drawbacks, the IR connected to the system 4 is dead, you cannot press it to turn volume up or down, it looks therefor well shabby and I cannot press it later on to β€œjoin”. However I have a good relation with my dealer so he can swapp it, however will this solve my light problem?

Option 3 get another lutron in which accepts light commands... very expensive and a lot of labour.

Maybe someone can give me some pointers if there is another way or how the old core behaves in an integrated setup.

Tx Chucky
chucky
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 331
Bronze Member
chucky replied on Fri, Feb 22 2019 7:25 PM
Made my point

Good bye.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Wow - yet another suicide πŸ™„

MM

chucky
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 331
Bronze Member
chucky replied on Fri, Feb 22 2019 7:42 PM
Millemissen:

Wow - yet another suicide πŸ™„

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Ditto
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Feb 22 2019 8:01 PM
Deep breath sir.

Your setup is more complex and involved than many on the forum have for themselves.

Speaking for myself, I didn't really understand the schematics of your setup exactly, so I have literally no way to help I'm afraid.

I'm sure someone with experience of this kind of setup will help at some stage, may just require a bit of patience.

Your initial post outlining your problem also barely made sense - so I'd hold off before calling people idiots.

Why is everyone in such a bad mood today? Did I miss something...

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

With that sort of reaction I am not sure that I would have wanted to help - that is if I would have understood the question and would have been able to...

Have a good day.....with or without this forum.

@ Sandy

I am not in a bad mood today πŸ˜‰

MM

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 521
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Fri, Apr 12 2019 12:11 PM

I finally took the plunge some time ago and now have an Essence Mk.2 integrated with my V1. Since the updates of both the app (Beta track 2.5.1) and the Essence (1.20.x) I cannot start music from the App! "Deezer content cannot be played from this device"

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Lare
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
Lare replied on Fri, Apr 9 2021 11:33 AM

Yes, someone has e.g. me. I have BeoSound Essence MKII integrated with BV Avant 55" MKI :)

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Fri, Apr 9 2021 10:18 PM

1990:

I finally took the plunge some time ago and now have an Essence Mk.2 integrated with my V1. Since the updates of both the app (Beta track 2.5.1) and the Essence (1.20.x) I cannot start music from the App! "Deezer content cannot be played from this device"

I've encountered a similar problem with that same message -- although not necessarily with a BeoVision. For me, I get the message if I've played a source from a linked NL/ML Converter and then I try to switch to Deezer or TuneIn from the main NL device. The app seems to think you're trying to play Deezer from the NL/ML Converter -- which is not capable of Deezer or TuneIn. I have to place the products into Standby and start again in the app to use Deezer/TuneIn. This seems to be a design flaw with the app. I find it very annoying.

ebnrob
Top 500 Contributor
UK
Posts 174
Bronze Member
ebnrob replied on Fri, Apr 9 2021 10:20 PM

Yes I too had this problem. I now use the beoliving intelligence app which doesn't have this issue. It does require a beolink gateway however. 

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Sat, Apr 10 2021 5:12 AM

beojeff:
1990:

I've encountered a similar problem with that same message -- although not necessarily with a BeoVision. For me, I get the message if I've played a source from a linked NL/ML Converter and then I try to switch to Deezer or TuneIn from the main NL device. The app seems to think you're trying to play Deezer from the NL/ML Converter -- which is not capable of Deezer or TuneIn. I have to place the products into Standby and start again in the app to use Deezer/TuneIn. This seems to be a design flaw with the app. I find it very annoying.
Strange!

Your (and others) response is on a post of 2019.........didn't you update your systems?

Note: the BLC integration was and is never been 100%, but it works to my satisfaction though.

Page 1 of 1 (35 items) | RSS