Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beovision 14 the end of Bang Olufsen Tv

rated by 0 users
This post has 75 Replies | 3 Followers

IA64
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 135
Bronze Member
IA64 replied on Sun, Jul 22 2018 5:44 PM

beotex:
Desrux:

WebOS and Android has no B&O feel to them. Also curtains are missing!

Small clarification - you do have the curtains on Android. At least my Avant NG has them.

And for the record, I’ve been very happy with the TV, stability, and multi-room capability.

Very happy with the Tv ? no bugs, crashes, outdated Android Tv ? 

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Mon, Jul 23 2018 3:00 AM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. This is helpful.

Eclipse is not an option for me as it indeed looks too much like a LG televison pieced together with a soundbar. I know the arguments that it is not, but visually it does not do the trick for me.

The BV14 visually is best for me as it has the wooden grill making it superior in design to the BV11 or BV7. I am thinking of 55", so 4k may make a difference.

The absence of the "curtain" is a big deal though. Some people may laugh now, but it is a part of what makes B&O unique. Really a pity that B&O got rid of it.

Would I even notice that this is Android based if I only use the ATV? I thought the ATV GUI may be all I see in this case and I would never ever need to see that there is a Android somewhere in it?

How does googlecast and NL work with the BV14? Are they part of Android? What and how is albumart displayed when casting via googlecast or NL to the BV14? Can I cast via googlecast or NL when the BV is turned off (i.e., some sense-in that allows to turn on BLs when casting, while keeping the screen off)?

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
The wood lamellas are able to fit a BV11 from mk2 onward
steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Mon, Jul 23 2018 6:18 AM

Aussie Michael:
The wood lamellas are able to fit a BV11 from mk2 onward

Would not give me 4k (less critical) and also no integrated googlecast. If I were to use a googlecast dongle, it would not auto-switch and I would need to turn on the TV manually if I were to cast audio to it.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Jul 23 2018 10:18 AM
The 11 has a better panel / screen technology than the 14. I had the 14, and I cannot stress enough how the 14 struggles with dark scenes.

I loved the design and look of the 14, but in the end picture quality is still the most important thing.

Also the sound is a bit more punchy on the 11.

And 4k without HDR is marginal at best. I watched some 4K netflix on the 14, and the big issue was still the poor dimming on the 14, much more so than extra resolution.

I swapped the 14 for an Avant pretty Android - it's a much better panel.

Edge lit TV'S can be better than backlit ones.
Desrux
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
Desrux replied on Mon, Jul 23 2018 10:35 AM

You are right - curtains are only missing on WebOS which is the OS moving forward as I can gather.

Glad to hear it is working for you. How about issues with responsiveness when navigatig the menues on the Android platform? When I have tried the platform on Avant NG or BV14 it was noticeable. Perhaps it has been fixed since then.

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 707
Bronze Member

Desrux:

You are right - curtains are only missing on WebOS which is the OS moving forward as I can gather.

Glad to hear it is working for you. How about issues with responsiveness when navigatig the menues on the Android platform? When I have tried the platform on Avant NG or BV14 it was noticeable. Perhaps it has been fixed since then.

I never had any complained about the responsiveness on my BV14 but I did notice however increased responsiveness in the latest firmware update a few weeks ago which was a pleasant surprise.

Karel.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Jul 23 2018 11:32 AM

Sandyb:

And 4k without HDR is marginal at best. I watched some 4K netflix on the 14, and the big issue was still the poor dimming on the 14, much more so than extra resolution.

Yes, it's easy to forget the BV14 has an old 4K panel missing many key features such as HDR.

One thing I don't like about my BV11 is the speed from pressing the remote to showing a picture. Takes far too long. Almost twice the length as the BV12.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Mon, Jul 23 2018 12:04 PM

Try owning an Avant!  You press "TV" at kick off, and you're almost guaranteed to catch the second half Geeked

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Jul 23 2018 12:22 PM

9 LEE:

Try owning an Avant!  You press "TV" at kick off, and you're almost guaranteed to catch the second half Geeked

wow. Sometimes I think I musn't have pressed the remote, the BV11 takes so long to show a picture. BV12-65 is much faster!

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
I changed the times on the Avant so it’s quicker to startup when I get up

I have the times at 6 am and after 9 I think from memory
BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
Posts 1,404
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Mon, Jul 23 2018 1:43 PM

You can also speed up the start up on the BV11, I have forgotten what the option is called. I leave it on the economy start as I don't mind how long it takes really...

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 707
Bronze Member

9 LEE:

Same thing for the BV14... That's one of the things I still can't get my head around how B&O could release a tv that takes 2 centuries to start-up..

The fastest TV imho in startup and changing channels imho is still the MX7000... even the original Avant and BV3 were slower in changing channels

Karel.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Jul 23 2018 2:51 PM
I own both

The Avant startup time is fine - very similar to my 12-65. Must be quick start timer thing.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Jul 23 2018 2:55 PM
True re HDR

Though the global dimming on the 14 is very bad, irrespective of HDR missing or not

Looked good for sports, bad for movies. Even for sports, my Avant is more natural with the sports I watch (golf and tennis).

Neither a patch on my 12-65 though. Not even close

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Jul 23 2018 4:29 PM

Sandyb:

Neither a patch on my 12-65 though. Not even close

I still love my BV12-65. Arguably my best B&O purchase. It came from a famous footballer manager's....bathroom. Hardly had any use, too.

Love the natural look of the BV12-65. I do wonder why more people on here don't seriously consider one? With a BeoSystem 4 it's a killer and I see them appear ocassionally at dealers - saw one this morning. Everyone who views the picture on my BV12-65 is positive. There's something about it which makes people comment.

4K might be sharper and more detailed, granted, but you can't beat the natural smoother look you received from a great plasma + BeoSystem 4 + top quality source.

beotex
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 86
Bronze Member
beotex replied on Mon, Jul 23 2018 5:03 PM
IA64:

Very happy with the Tv ? no bugs, crashes, outdated Android Tv ?

I bought it in January after it seems the software had stabilized. I think it has restarted twice in 7 months, which is better than my iPhone ;)

I don’t use the Android menu much since initial setup, so that has not been an issue. It starts up, I can select my sound mode via remote, and join the multiroom setup with ease. I have the BL18’s and BL19 through WISA and they work like a charm.

Now, maybe I’m not sophisticated in my usage, but for what I do (DirecTV or AppleTV, and multi room music) it works great. And watching the speaker appear from below is still fun to observe.
Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
moxxey:

I still love my BV12-65. Arguably my best B&O purchase. It came from a famous footballer manager's....bathroom. Hardly had any use, too.

Love the natural look of the BV12-65. I do wonder why more people on here don't seriously consider one? With a BeoSystem 4 it's a killer and I see them appear ocassionally at dealers - saw one this morning. Everyone who views the picture on my BV12-65 is positive. There's something about it which makes people comment.

4K might be sharper and more detailed, granted, but you can't beat the natural smoother look you received from a great plasma + BeoSystem 4 + top quality source.

I’d get one but they’re still really expensive, probably for the reasons you mention. BV19 40s on the other hand are going for literally a couple of hundred pounds.

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Jul 26 2018 3:55 PM

Chris Townsend:

I’d get one but they’re still really expensive, probably for the reasons you mention.

I was lucky - I picked up mine for £2000 + a trade-in (MK1 old Avant 55"). Much better than the Avant 55" in so many ways.

And for anyone who says they 'enjoy' watching the daft mechanised speaker drop down from the Avant? wow. Not only did I think that mostly pointless, noisy and boring after a while, there were so many other issues, this just made me more frustrated.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
I enjoy watching the motorised speaker drop down and open up.
beotex
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 86
Bronze Member
beotex replied on Fri, Jul 27 2018 5:11 AM
moxxey:

And for anyone who says they 'enjoy' watching the daft mechanised speaker drop down from the Avant? wow. Not only did I think that mostly pointless, noisy and boring after a while, there were so many other issues, this just made me more frustrated.

Sorry you have such passion against the type of interesting movement / interaction so many people find lacking from today’s products. Good thing you ditched it. Smile

In fact, of all the people that have come to our home, not one has said “what a daft, pointless, noisy and boring TV speaker you have!” Surprisingly, it’s been quite the opposite. Wow, indeed.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Fri, Jul 27 2018 11:56 AM

beotex:

In fact, of all the people that have come to our home, not one has said “what a daft, pointless, noisy and boring TV speaker you have!” Surprisingly, it’s been quite the opposite. Wow, indeed.

My point was, the TV was so flawed in so many other areas that having this slow speaker appear just ended up grating after a while - more effort had gone in to the speaker than getting the TV right. As an example, the panning was awful. Kind of a key component for watching a TV, for me. It made watching football, difficult.

If that kind of thing floats your boat, fair enough. You've bought the right TV. If people came around my house and commented on the Avant speaker mechanism (I can't remember anyone doing that when I owned it...) I'd think they were mad. But, there again, people do have a bad habit of telling you what you want to hear.

BeoMegaMan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 601
Bronze Member

beotex:
moxxey:

Sorry you have such passion against the type of interesting movement / interaction so many people find lacking from today’s products. Good thing you ditched it. Smile

It has been my experience that the majority of people feel the same was as you and your guests do. As a person who has had virtually every B&O TV since 2003 and currently has every single gen of NL TV working in my home, I can tell you my Avant still gets the most attention. 

Ah, you know... A little B&O here, a little there 

beotex
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 86
Bronze Member
beotex replied on Mon, Aug 6 2018 5:43 AM
moxxey:

If that kind of thing floats your boat, fair enough. You've bought the right TV. If people came around my house and commented on the Avant speaker mechanism (I can't remember anyone doing that when I owned it...) I'd think they were mad. But, there again, people do have a bad habit of telling you what you w ant to hear.

You’d be happy to hear this. We invited some family friends over for dinner this weekend and a kind pensioner said the BL18’s looked like big wooden air filters and he really didn’t understand the center speaker dropping down from the TV.

Think he was telling me what I want to hear? Stick out tongue

Hope everyone had a nice weekend :)
StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 995
Bronze Member
beotex:

You’d be happy to hear this. We invited some family friends over for dinner this weekend and a kind pensioner said the BL18’s looked like big wooden air filters and he really didn’t understand the center speaker dropping down from the TV.

Think he was telling me what I want to hear?

Avant- what beauty, with magic too!

Mmm, what about a stand-alone sound bar with moving magic?
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

StUrrock:

Which kind of ‘moving magic’ do you imagine for that sound bar?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Aug 6 2018 10:13 AM

Millemissen:

StUrrock:

I was wondering the same. It would also get on my nerves after a while. I'm guessing he wants a small bar to open up in to a larger version, on system swich-on.

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 995
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Mon, Aug 6 2018 10:29 AM
moxxey:

I was wondering the same. It would also get on my nerves after a while. I'm guessing he wants a small bar to open up in to a larger version, on system swich-on.

I’m not a designer just want some B&O magic, not much around it seems just now Sad
moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Aug 6 2018 2:46 PM

StUrrock:

I’m not a designer just want some B&O magic, not much around it seems just now Sad

True, but personally speaking, I never really was won over by the moving doors or speakers on B&O equipment. Just seemed gimmicky to me. Ok, it was decent on the old BeoCenter 2300, but that was years ago. I just want my TV to function, function well and not focus on daft things like dropping down speakers.

When I owned my MK1 Avant 55", I had so many issues, that just got on my nerves. Didn't feel like 'magic', felt like overkill. I just wanted a quality working TV.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
beotex:

Think he was telling me what I want to hear?

Sounds like he is a fan - or even participant - of the TV show “Grumpy Old Men”

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
Millemissen:

StUrrock:

MM

Speaker cones would be good start Stick out tongue

BeoNut since '75

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 262
Bronze Member

Personally, I’m not at all impressed with the picture quality of BeoVision 12, way to soft for my liking...

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, Aug 7 2018 3:43 PM

SHEFFIELD:

Personally, I’m not at all impressed with the picture quality of BeoVision 12, way to soft for my liking...

That's the first person I've known who said they aren't impressed with a BV12-65. Incredible. One would be slightly paranoid you're only interested in shifting the latest sets? Big Smile

Seriously, I have a BV11-46 and the picture is very different. It's maybe slightly better for sport. It's far sharper and brighter. The BV12-65 is much better for movies and a picture which requires a warmer and smoother panel. However, not being impressed is something I've never heard before - my Avant 55" MKI was a shocker in comparison.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, Aug 7 2018 3:55 PM

eh?

Am i reading that correctly?

I have an Avant 55 Mk1 and a 12-65 - the 12-65 is so much more the capable TV it's not even really that close.

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 262
Bronze Member

moxxey:

SHEFFIELD:

That's the first person I've known who said they aren't impressed with a BV12-65. Incredible. One would be slightly paranoid you're only interested in shifting the latest sets? Big Smile

Seriously, I have a BV11-46 and the picture is very different. It's maybe slightly better for sport. It's far sharper and brighter. The BV12-65 is much better for movies and a picture which requires a warmer and smoother panel. However, not being impressed is something I've never heard before - my Avant 55" MKI was a shocker in comparison.

Not the case at all regarding shifting the latest product, always been slightly embarrassed selling BV12 - BV11 is far better in my opinion. Everyone views images differently. The Eclipse is the best picture I have ever seen...

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 303
Bronze Member
poodleboy replied on Tue, Aug 7 2018 10:46 PM

SHEFFIELD:

moxxey:

SHEFFIELD:

Not the case at all regarding shifting the latest product, always been slightly embarrassed selling BV12 - BV11 is far better in my opinion. Everyone views images differently. The Eclipse is the best picture I have ever seen...

To each his own but, not an apples and apples comparison, the BV12-65 featured an automatic screen adjustment scheme if I recall correctly (or was that the BS4?). But the main thing is the center speaker was a huge differentiator. Simple, gorgeous, and extremely powerful for its size. A buddy has that with BL12, BL 19, and rear somethings. Incredible and made me recognize my late BV11-55 as the #2 in the lineup. His picture was so strong it compensated for a wall of windows and pool reflection, with a little help from transparent shades. 

Page 2 of 2 (76 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS