Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Apple TV starts wrong HDMI

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Sigmund
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
Sigmund Posted: Fri, Dec 15 2017 7:32 PM

Just got an Apple TV and connected to BeoVision 7 MK5. Apple TV manages to wake up BV7, but not with its own HDMI. The PUC-connected STB decoder starts up instead, from another HDMI. Any idea what could be wrong?

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, Dec 16 2017 7:29 AM

How are you switching on the ATV?  From its own remote or the Beo4 remote via another PUC?  If the latter, is sounds as if you have named/allocated the hdmi sockets incorrectly in the BV7's setup menu.

Sigmund
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
Sigmund replied on Sat, Dec 16 2017 9:29 PM

From its own remote. The BV7 gets the wake-up signal from the Apple TV's HDMI, then, all by itself, switches to this other HDMI, performs the PUC operation and is ready from the STB decoder. Strange.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Sat, Dec 16 2017 10:45 PM

I may have a strangely similar problem, however it is not as annoying. Currently I have the DTV button on my Beo4 mapped to the AppleTV (HDMI2) on my BV11. Let's say I'm watching something via the ATV solely using the Beo4, but for some reason I need to use the Apple TV remote, I have to "wake" it up, right? So I press a button on the ATV remote... once the ATV remote is activated, the TV switches to the HDMI1 source, once I switch back to the ATV source, I can use the AppleTV remote just fine, it is only in the "wake up" process that the BV11 switches sources. Weird, I don't know what could be causing it. Maybe it is something similar?

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Dec 17 2017 12:40 AM
My 3rd generation ATV activates when the BV selects the particular HDMI ... what I need to then do is toggle the volume on the Apple remote so that its presence is registered.

BeoNut since '75

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, Dec 17 2017 8:26 AM

Sal and Sigmund's problems sound similar and I would suspect the TV software. Perhaps worth reporting to B&O?

Is it possible to turn off the hdmi CEC on either of the BVs mentioned - could be worth checking the behaviour with it off, and/or then try toggling it off/on to see if that improves things.

Sigmund
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
Sigmund replied on Sun, Dec 17 2017 8:23 PM

Something similar to Sal's problem shows up here as well. The BV7 may suddenly shift from Apple TV to the STB decoder. I don't know how to reproduce this yet, as the Apple TV is new. On startup, however, the problem is 100% reproducible: Apple TV starts up itself, then the BV7, but in STB mod, from the STB's HDMI port, not the Apple TV's port.

Guy, what does it mean to turn off the hdmi CEC on the BV? Is it the AUTO SELECTION on the setup menu? I have tried to switch between ON and OFF, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. The corresponding switch on the Apple TV to not start the TV via HDMI works well and may be a temporary workaround to the problem until it is fixed: to enforce the TV to wake up manually.

If you suspect the TV software, what would be the consequences? A serviceperson with a software fix?

Thanks to everybody for your responses and suggestions!

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
BeoMotion replied on Mon, Dec 18 2017 5:18 PM

Hi,

Apple TV 4 detects via HDMI to which TV model it is connected to. If a BV7 is detected it sends the „TV“ source IR command out of the ATV remote every time you wake it up from sleep. If this source is not coupled to the ATV you will instead see the picture of your STB or internal tuner.

You can either disable this completely via ATV settings or in BV settings connect the ATV HDMI socket to the TV source. 

Not a bug but a feature... ;-)

BR,

BeoMotion. 

Sigmund
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
Sigmund replied on Mon, Dec 18 2017 8:33 PM

That makes sense! In the CONNECTIONS menu, the STB has the TV source on AV2, and Apple TV got the PC source on AV5, the only port that was left.

What would be the best strategy to change this? My remote is a Beo6, if that matters. Would the PUC driven STB be offended by not being the TV source? If not, is there a way for me to assign the TV source to the Apple TV at AV5?

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Tue, Dec 19 2017 2:57 AM

BeoMotion:

Hi,

Apple TV 4 detects via HDMI to which TV model it is connected to. If a BV7 is detected it sends the „TV“ source IR command out of the ATV remote every time you wake it up from sleep. If this source is not coupled to the ATV you will instead see the picture of your STB or internal tuner.

You can either disable this completely via ATV settings or in BV settings connect the ATV HDMI socket to the TV source. 

Not a bug but a feature... ;-)

BR,

BeoMotion. 

Thanks BeoMotion, I looked in the ATV settings and found the "Home Theater Control" and set that to Off, that has solved the source switching upon Apple Remote wake. I didn't even know that option existed -- thanks again!

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
BeoMotion replied on Tue, Dec 19 2017 2:53 PM

Sigmund:
That makes sense! In the CONNECTIONS menu, the STB has the TV source on AV2, and Apple TV got the PC source on AV5, the only port that was left.

What would be the best strategy to change this? My remote is a Beo6, if that matters. Would the PUC driven STB be offended by not being the TV source? If not, is there a way for me to assign the TV source to the Apple TV at AV5?

Unless you want to reprogram your entire Beo6 you might just want to switch off this feature in the settings of the ATV.

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
BeoMotion replied on Tue, Dec 19 2017 2:53 PM

Sal:
Thanks BeoMotion, I looked in the ATV settings and found the "Home Theater Control" and set that to Off, that has solved the source switching upon Apple Remote wake. I didn't even know that option existed -- thanks again!

No problem :-)

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS