Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 4002 renovation

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

NigelGee
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Bronze Member
NigelGee Posted: Thu, Oct 4 2012 1:11 PM

Hello.... first time poster here, please be gentle with me!

I recently bought a Beogram 4002 type 5504 s/n 305887 which was working (but not correctly) and the basic problem seems to centre around the PCB controlling the arm/tracking logic. There are two micro switches which reside behind the control ‘ruler’ which appear to have either been abused or have given up owing to their age. All I found was a number of fragments and other pieces floating around in the area. (See 1st Picture) What on earth that wedge shaped piece of metal is I have no idea but it appears to have been glued somewhere, but I cannot find where! Obviously these two microswitches (see 2nd Picture) need to be replaced but try as I may I cannot find anything similar anywhere. Are these switches a ‘B&O only design’ and if so are they available? Alternatively is the whole board available. As you can imagine, despite looking at the service manual, I cannot be entirely sure of how it all looked originally. Picture 3 shows  a similar microswitch, on the arm raising/lowering mechanics, to give you idea how they might have looked..

Can anyone help in either sourcing the switches (Part number 7400115) , or the PCB (PC8009032 or equivalent) or can anyone suggest a ‘re-design’?

I am not liking the idea of this problem beating me..... and don’t like the idea of reading the ‘last rites’ on this iconic over-engineered turntable!

I would be eternally greatful for any help and advice. Thanks in anticiptation!!

I hope this URL to my picture gallery works OK

default.aspx

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Thu, Oct 4 2012 9:53 PM

I imagine Martin is the chap to ask here! There are not that many who are able to satisfactorily repair these complex machines!

Peter

NigelGee
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Bronze Member
NigelGee replied on Thu, Oct 4 2012 10:48 PM

Thanks for that Peter, perhaps Martin will comment if he has seen the posting.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Oct 5 2012 6:41 AM

I've seen this cracked plastic head problem many times and so far, I have managed to replace with good switches from donor units but inventory is near depletion.
I would imagine it possible to take out the damaged switch and cast a new plastic head in epoxy (araldite) onto the metal and file it to shape.
Worth trying, I suppose.

Isn't there a tiny spring (plate) missing from one of the switches too ?
I'm sure, it is to be found down the bottom somewhere.

Martin

NigelGee
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Bronze Member

Thank you Martin. The more I look into the remains of this turntable the more broken bits I find. Perhaps there are still more to find :-)

I will certainly try to remove the broken switch and rebuild it....... what would we do without Araldite!?

I'll let you know how I get on!

Thanks again

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

NigelGee:

I will certainly try to remove the broken switch and rebuild it....... what would we do without Araldite!?

I'll let you know how I get on!

I would go for new switches, there is a million diff. types out there.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Oct 5 2012 5:37 PM

Oh yes, something in the 33-36 row could be useful, depending on size etc.

Martin

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Dillen:

Oh yes, something in the 33-36 row could be useful, depending on size etc.

Martin

Its difficult to see the size on the pic, but 11,13, are very small and would fit in without problem, mostly these switches are guarantied to last more millions work cycles, they are closed and in a TT they will last forever. The actuation arms are easily bent to fit, normally fastened with 2 M3 screws with nut and washer, so 2, 3.5 Mm. holes in the PCB will do it.

NigelGee
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Bronze Member

Thanks Martin and Soren for the suggestion. I think I have already looked at 1 million microswitches on the WWW and there are a few that might fit but the problem could be the alignment...... anyway thanks again....... I nearly bought another one off Ebay tonight.......my interest is turning into a fetish...lol.

Have a good weekend!

Cheers

NigelGee
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Bronze Member

Hi Folks, just a quick update on this project. Completely by chance I found a solution on EBay where a seller was disposing of PCB from a Beogram 3000, complete with it's power supply, and I couldn't believe my eyes when I spotted three micro contacts of the same type as those that imploded on the 4002.... so all is not lost (hopefully). I have another project on a Beogram 3000, about which more elsewhere! (I'm in trouble again!)

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Thanks for the update, and pics or it didn't happenBig Smile

NigelGee
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Bronze Member
NigelGee replied on Sat, Dec 1 2012 10:08 PM

Haha,...... it's not happened yet but when it has I'll post a pic!! Am busy with other projects right now :-)

chadbang
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
chadbang replied on Sat, Jun 20 2015 12:37 AM

Now I am facing the same problem with my 4002. It's heartbreaking such a small part is keeping me from completion. Can anyone suggest a solution? I think finding a B&O replacement will be very difficult and time consuming. I guess B&O no longer carries spare part? I have replaced and refurbished so many other parts on my table, but this one is the hardest to figure out!

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Check earlier responses to this thread, I posted some pics of micro switches, Martin agreed the numbers 33 to 36 may be a possibility.

chadbang
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
chadbang replied on Sat, Jun 20 2015 9:39 AM

I saw that post, Soren. Could you tell me where that photo comes from. What company, there are some interesting switches there but I didn't see any identification as to what company was offering them.

Looking at the switch, it seems to be a two position switch. At rest, it makes contact with one point and then when the arm hits it, it switch over to make contact with another point. Is this correct? I'm trying to work out what kind of switch to get.

Thanks for your help!

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I dont remember where I found that pic, but just search the web for micro switches, you will need one small enough to fit into the the BG, Nearly all micro switches comes with 3 wire connections:  one is "0" the other 2 is one NC and the other NO, you will need a switch with an actuator arm with a roll, I dont have a BG 4002 myself. But a pic of the PCB where the switch is located would help me to maybe help you further

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS