Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Which capacitors and where to get them?

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

GTS
Not Ranked
Northern California
Posts 28
Bronze Member
GTS Posted: Thu, Oct 4 2012 9:45 PM

All - help!

About to rebuild my Penta crossovers - was told to go get some Audyn capacitors - which range?

On paper the Audyn Q4 range should outperform the original units - am I wrong?

What are people using/what's recommended?

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder

Did forget your e-mail.

Sorry fo that.

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Thu, Oct 4 2012 9:58 PM

Beobuddy, could you advise me where to get reasonable priced bipolar caps in the Netherlands?

Brengen & Ophalen

GTS
Not Ranked
Northern California
Posts 28
Bronze Member
GTS replied on Thu, Oct 4 2012 10:00 PM

No problems! Send one on, I've got time to rebuild these in the next few weeks, keen to get started. Penta 2's.

Currently just looking at replacing everything with poly versions of what's there.

Looking at Jensen Crosscap and Audyn Q4 parts though this report (http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html) has nothing nice to say about either!

Any help appreciated.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Fri, Oct 5 2012 1:07 AM

I buy from Mark at Meniscus.  He generally fills orders same day.

I've used Solen caps in M70s, S45-2s, S40s, and CX-50s and have been happy.  (Listening to the S45-2s as I type this, actually.)

EDIT

Added link to website.

GTS
Not Ranked
Northern California
Posts 28
Bronze Member
GTS replied on Sat, Oct 6 2012 9:59 AM

Right - done! Many thanks to egoh for assisting here with his own experiences.

Ended up mixing PulseX (3%), Dayton 5% (on the biggest values) and Dayton Precision (1%). Resistors are Mundorf 10W (2% parts; 1.8ohm to be replaced by two in parallel to give 1.785ohm; may just change these out for Mills). I figured that if I'm only doing a pair and won't have many parts to match pairs from, that buying what best tolerances I could get at what I could afford might be a good strategy.

Read all the reviews on anything going and I tend to think that if you're willing to drop $800+ on a set of crossover capacitors then the rest of your system is unobtanium, or your room is perfectly anechoic, or you have too much time. I couldn't find an audio designer that recommended uber-expensive anything. At this level there are simply better ways to spend small money for significant results. These caps all have equally good reviews from some people, and equally poor reviews from some anoraks. Importantly they're 250V parts which are a shade smaller for packaging (aside from the .68uF parts, couldn't find anything smaller in stock).

Realistically recapping the Pentas is a bit like reconditioning the midrange drivers: they'll never sound as they did originally. Original parts no longer exist; what replacements you might use introduce their own bias.

If one could find 10% electrolytic capacitors these would likely do a fine job, being what B&O's engineers designed around. Maybe a little better than the poly caps, and a *lot* cheaper. 10% is a tall order, though, even Elna's best are 20%.

I spent enough time looking for suitable electrolytics that I gave up, buying poly effectively was cheaper after factoring my time. Some of the Roederstein's are new-old-stock on eBay currently, though the effectiveness of any capacitor that can 'dry out' over time that has 'made in West Germany' on it is a bit questionable. Whilst it's potentially possible to rejuvenate these, the procedures aren't always successful. And they're time consuming. Time is money... etc...

Wish me luck! It'll be amps next...

Mikael
Not Ranked
Sweden
Posts 58
Gold Member
Mikael replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 7:54 AM

I got the kit from Dillen. Just my 10 cents to the discussion. Have not rebuilt my Penta MK3 crossover yet, but it is on my todo list ;)

Beocenter Overture | Beolink passive | CX100 | CX50 

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 2:10 PM

Mikael:

I got the kit from Dillen. Just my 10 cents to the discussion. Have not rebuilt my Penta MK3 crossover yet, but it is on my todo list ;)

More than adequate, you will not notice any difference between these capacitors and boutique things :)

Olly

GTS
Not Ranked
Northern California
Posts 28
Bronze Member
GTS replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 5:29 PM

Dillen was my first stop; I was told that the kit was being upgraded and is currently not available... hence the route I took. Thankfully this Beoworld community is sufficiently big that there are multiple options for any one problem :)

I'm reliably informed that Dillen's kit is very, very good though.

stampfki
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 138
Bronze Member

I intend to replace all the really old capacitors of my 20 years Beolab 5000 speakers. One of the big ones is even bleeding. I got the Service Manual but it is difficult to me to identify the ones which make sense to replace. Which brands and types of caps is already mentioned here in the Forum. Could anybody help me out, please?

stampfki
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 138
Bronze Member
stampfki replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 4:10 AM

no ideas?

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Replace the electrolytic, polarized by Mouser, bipolar at Parts Express

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
Posts 1,249
Bronze Member

How to choose capacitors....

Right-click Here, and select "Save Target As"

Menahem

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 3:46 PM

Very usefull info Menahem, thanks. Saved in my favorites...

Brengen & Ophalen

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS