Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Input from BL-Passive into Beocenter 9500

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 2 Followers

Pestria
Not Ranked
Posts 58
Bronze Member
Pestria Posted: Thu, Jan 4 2018 11:20 AM

Hi

Does anyone know if it's possible to connect the output (powerlink?) from a Beolink Passive to the Aux input on a Beocenter 9500?

By way of explanation, I would like to pull the rest of ML components via the BL Passive into into the Beocenter 9500.  Essentially by pulling via the Passive I can share the speakers connected to the Beocenter.  If I connect via the ML system then I end up with 2  audio masters causing conflicts.

Thanks

Alan

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Alan,

Please can you give some more details of which products you have on the ML network on a room-by-room basis?  We can then help you to find the best way to get sound from the ML network to play through the Beocenter 9500.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

Pestria
Not Ranked
Posts 58
Bronze Member
Pestria replied on Wed, Jan 10 2018 10:07 PM

Hi _ thanks for the reply.

Room 1 = beosound 9000. (Audio master) + computer (Spotify via aux in)

Room 2 = beovision 8 (video master)

5 * other rooms with either beolink passive or ml products

I would like to input from audio and video master into a Bellini passive into room 6 in which I also have a stand alone beocenter 9500 which outputs to Pentas.

Ideally I want to share the speakers between the beocenter and the link system.   If I connect via ml ( using a converter) then I have 2 audio masters which doesn't work well) so I wondered whether the output from the beolink passive could be fed to the aux in on the 9500.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Alan,

Thanks for this.  A good approach here is to identify whether you would only need to play CD, tape and radio from the Beocenter in this room, or if this room would need to be included in the "whole house" ML network (ie. to play the same music as the other rooms, eg. during a party).

If this room is used separately, then the simplest approach is to keep the Beocenter and Pentas separate from the rest of the ML system.  Please let me know what you think and I will be pleased to assist further.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Pestria
Not Ranked
Posts 58
Bronze Member
Pestria replied on Thu, Jan 25 2018 9:08 PM

The ideal scenario would be able to play local sources in the room itself, and in additon to be able to select link-cd, link-aux etc to access masters in other rooms for multi-room party set up you mention.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your reply.  In this case, I would suggest running the Masterlink network to each room, with the Beosound 9000 as Audio Master and the Beovision 8 as Video Master.  In the room with the Beocenter 9500, add a Beolink Active (type 1636 with the PC socket fitted) and connect the speakers in this room to the Active.

I can then build a cable to connect the Beocenter 9500 to the PC socket of the Active to share the speakers in this room.  You can set the Beocenter into Option 0 (no remote control reception) to control this product manually via the touch panel, giving you remote control of the Beosound 9000 from this room.

To select the Beocenter within this room, choose "PC" via the LIST button on your remote control.  The Beocenter is now a "local" source within this room, with the Beosound 9000 and Beovision 8 being "global" sources that you can play in any room.

Please feel free to get in touch via my sponsor link below if you would like help with any of the cables required for this setup.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
Posts 2,920
Bronze Member
stefan replied on Sat, Jan 27 2018 12:07 PM

Pestria:

The ideal scenario would be able to play local sources in the room itself, and in additon to be able to select link-cd, link-aux etc to access masters in other rooms for multi-room party set up you mention.

This is exactly, what I`ve installed in one of my link rooms. BC9500 with BL5000 in link room as a local source. A BL active (sw 1.6 for BLGW control) with IR eye and a Powerlink switch from oneremote

https://shop.oneremote.dk/en/product/oneremote-powerlink-switch/

Set your BC9500 to A.OPT 1 (as usual) and BLactive to L.OPT 4. Connect Powerlink out BC9500 to PLswitch in 1 and BLactive PL out to PLswitch in 2.

BC9500 (and Pentas) will be activated by pressing RADIO, CD, A.TAPE..... Main room sources (and Pentas) will be activated by using LINK-CD, LINK-RADIO...even Penta displays will show the actual source and volume level, if we are talking about Beolab Penta (active Penta).

You will need fully wired Powerlink cables.

Stefan

Stefan

Pestria
Not Ranked
Posts 58
Bronze Member
Pestria replied on Mon, Apr 13 2020 12:51 PM

Hi

Surely a sign of COVID-19 lockdown, but I'vecome back to this problem!

Thanks for your answers so far, however I have a Beolink Passive which is free for use in this scenario I also have a spare ML/MCL converter if that's got any value).

So my thoughts were to use the Passive as an auxiliary input into the Beocenter via the power link socket on the Passive into the Aux socket on Beocenter- would this work?

Thanks

Alan

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Alan,

Please don't try to connect this way, it won't work.  The Aux socket on the Beocenter is fixed volume, so this cannot be used for connecting amplifiers or speakers.

If you can please explain some more detail of all the products and speakers that you wish to connect, identifying which ones are in which room, I will be pleased to help you to find a working solution.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Pestria
Not Ranked
Posts 58
Bronze Member
Pestria replied on Fri, Apr 17 2020 9:55 AM

Hi Steve

Thanks for finding he time to try and help.

The main part of the house is served by a traditional audio and video master via ML, which is great for distributing sound to various rooms but being an older system means that everyone has to listen to the same thing.

In the music room, I'd like to be able to have a choice of either listening to the same music as everyone else or playing something separately via the Beocenter 9500.

The music room has a single pair of passive non B&O speakers.  

The nub of the problem therefore is how best to feed the speakers from two separate sources in the most elegant way possible, ideally using a single B&O remote.

I have a spare beolink passive and MCL/ML converter which could potentially be used.

The options as I see it are:

1. Use a MCL/ML converter (which I have) to pick up from the rest of the house and feed into the Beocenter - unfortunately this creates a network with 2 master auto units.

2. Use a speaker switching unit - the downside to this is it would most likely be a manual switch and not a B&O solution controllable using a remote.

3. The third option which would be to connect output from the passive into the Beocenter  - the idea here is to be able to select local sources direct rom the Beocenter or pick up linked sources via the passive/2nd ir receiver.

The solid connecting lines show the current set up, with dotted lines the optional connections as I see them.

Many thanks for any advice you may have.

Alan

Pestria
Not Ranked
Posts 58
Bronze Member
Pestria replied on Fri, Apr 17 2020 12:01 PM

Apologies the picture is missing - will try & find out how to load

Pestria
Not Ranked
Posts 58
Bronze Member
Pestria replied on Fri, Apr 17 2020 12:01 PM

Apologies the picture is missing - will try & find out how to load

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Alan,

Any chance you could email me the picture please at steve@soundsheavenly.com as this isn't showing in your post?  I can then help you to get everything working!

Thanks, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Alan,

Thanks for emailing me the diagram.  There are a few options to consider:-

1) Add a Beolink Active from the ML system in the Music room, linked to the Aux input of the 9500.  You can then select Aux to play the ML music in the music room (although some adjustment of the option settings on the 9500 will be needed to get remote control operation correct).

2) If the music to be shared is mainly streamed online, then another option is to add Sonos or Bluesound players (or Essences or Cores) to both the main ML system and the 9500, then you can access the same online content in any room directly via the appropriate app.

3) An ML/MCL Converter should give a similar setup to option 1, with easier remote control access between the two systems.

Please let me know if you need any help with cables for any of these options!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Pestria
Not Ranked
Posts 58
Bronze Member
Pestria replied on Sat, Apr 18 2020 5:31 PM

Hi Steve

Thanks for your advice - it's very much appreciated.

with regard to the options:

1. I don't have an Active (only passive) - so this would buying one but that's not a major issue on eBay.

2. The main reason for pickup up the main house system would be for radio as this is where the roof FM aerials feed in (yes I know BBC sounds etc does much the same thing but it's so much cleaner to simply press 'Radio' on the Beo4!

3. I think would create a conflict of two master audio - unless you can produce a cable which negates this.

Many thanks

Alan

Pestria
Not Ranked
Posts 58
Bronze Member
Pestria replied on Tue, Feb 8 2022 3:55 PM

Hi Steve

This has been an unsolved problem for me for some time!

I've only just cottoned on to your last option of using a ML/MCL converter.

I may have tried this before and got a conflict of having 2 audio masters - do you think with appropriate cabling from yourself this wouldn't be an issue?

Thanks

Alan

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Alan,

The converter is only intended to be used with one audio master and one video master.  It won't really work properly if you have two audio products connected.  In this case, the simplest option is often to set one product (usually the older one, or the one you use the least) to option 0 (no remote control reception) and then operate this product manually.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Pestria
Not Ranked
Posts 58
Bronze Member
Pestria replied on Wed, Feb 9 2022 2:47 PM

Thanks Steve - will give that a go this weekend

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS