Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Will HomePod 'kill' BeoPlay?

rated by 0 users
This post has 215 Replies | 4 Followers

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit Posted: Tue, Jan 23 2018 6:23 PM

Hi,

With HomePod coming February 9th, will BeoPlay be that successful? Will they still manage to sell the non battery powered BeoPlay audio speakers (except A9) ? I think that even BeoSound 1 and 2 could highly suffer... I guess that soon we will learn if HomePod is far superior than BeoPlay (audio quality speaking) and maybe not far from BeoSounds for a much much lower price. And I don't speak about the wireless connectivity dropouts that happen...

What do you think?

badgersurf
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Gold Member

Personally I am not keen on the look of the home pod, I have a BS1 in brass and it is beautiful to look at and sounds amazing in the bedroom. Some People will always want something that is more of a statement piece rather than a run of the mill looking speaker

Mark-N
Top 500 Contributor
Maryland, USA
Posts 320
Bronze Member
Mark-N replied on Tue, Jan 23 2018 9:58 PM

I was contemplating buying an M5 for another room, but the HomePod is very tempting.  Given the cost of the HomePod I think I will have to give it a try.  At the worse, if the [mono] HomePod does not pass the Kanna Hashimoto "Arigato" song test I can buy another one and have true stereo for just a little more than one M5, and I'll bet it will sound amazing.  I will find out.  Pre-ordering this Friday.

Since I mostly use AirPlay it will be fine for me.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@benoit

If you ask an Android user, the answer will probably be a loud NO!

If you ask someone, who is used to the possibilities/versatility of the B&O/Beoplay devices

in a NL-network (= including the tv’s), it probably will be a no, too.

However, someone, who just wants AirPlay, will have a strong alternative, I guess...at least if he likes the design of the Hpods.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

jimcaj
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 126
Bronze Member
jimcaj replied on Tue, Jan 23 2018 10:47 PM
I think B&O should implement stereo pairing. A stereo M3, would be a killer product. I would buy for sure.

Also, the HomePod has no input ports. I imagine young kids buying their turntables and two M3s. Hook it up via the M3 line-in port. That’s something.

I did read that the Homepod is bass heavy - we’ll see when it’s released. Exciting times for sure.
Mark-N
Top 500 Contributor
Maryland, USA
Posts 320
Bronze Member
Mark-N replied on Tue, Jan 23 2018 11:03 PM

jimcaj:
I did read that the Homepod is bass heavy - we’ll see when it’s released. Exciting times for sure.

Most of the reviews I've read for the M5 said that it was also bass heavy!

jimcaj
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 126
Bronze Member
jimcaj replied on Tue, Jan 23 2018 11:17 PM
Deleted
Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Wed, Jan 24 2018 1:07 AM

Millemissen:
However, someone, who just wants AirPlay, will have a strong alternative, I guess...at least if he likes the design of the Hpods.

More competition will come when Airplay 2 comes to Sonos. They already have Alexa integration. If you don't have a whole house integrated with B&O, Sonos is a compelling and more inexpensive alternative. No way Sonos has the design finesse of the B&O offerings, however their SW is head and shoulders in a different league than what B&O has today. And Sonos' sound isn't too shabby (no, I'm not saying Sonos competes in the audio quality dept. with B&O, but for what the speakers are designed to do, they do it well for their price).

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Jan 24 2018 1:51 AM

Will BeoPlay managed to "kill" BeoPlay?

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

mczac
Not Ranked
Posts 49
Bronze Member
mczac replied on Wed, Jan 24 2018 2:01 PM

Speakers have never been a core expertise at Apple, although a vast amount of engineers were musicians. For instance iPod HiFi speaker didn't last long as it wasn't the best product on the market, HomePod will clearly win a space in a personal assistant market, plus its wireless and software integration will be far more superior than BO currently offers. Design wise HomePod is rather awkward and resembles a Harman Kardon sub or a previous generation Mac Pro. If customers will be willing to choose better design and likely better sounding systems,  BO will have a space. Otherwise corporate Steamroller "Apple" will run on its brand equity fuel and smash all relatively small players like it did with a smart watch market.

NickPG
Not Ranked
Posts 25
Bronze Member
NickPG replied on Wed, Jan 24 2018 2:27 PM

The aesthetic, sound and build quality of the HomePod will never match the A6, A9, BeoSound 1 and 2. What will be interesting is how this impacts the M3 and M5 B&O range. I haven't heard the HomePod but have the expectation that it will be better than the M3, and the M5 is £200 more expensive. Would two HomePods in stereo outperform an M5 - maybe...

Beoplay A9 MkII, BeoLab 4000, BeoSound Essence MkII

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,169
Bronze Member
Mikipidia replied on Wed, Jan 24 2018 2:55 PM
Am i the only one that isn’t that fond of a microfoon that listens all the time in your private space?

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 28's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Mikipedia on Intagram: https://www.instagram.com/mikipedi4/

Old: Beosound 9000 mk3, Beolab 3's, Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

NickPG
Not Ranked
Posts 25
Bronze Member
NickPG replied on Wed, Jan 24 2018 3:09 PM

Very true about the microphone element!

Think I feel more comfortable with it in an Apple product rather than Amazon or Google though...

Beoplay A9 MkII, BeoLab 4000, BeoSound Essence MkII

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Jan 24 2018 3:15 PM

NickPG:

The aesthetic, sound and build quality of the HomePod will never match the A6, A9, BeoSound 1 and 2.

Well see. I own the A9 (best speaker I've owned), the A6 (mediocre compared to the A9) and BeoSound 1 (sold it!), I wasn't overly impressed with the latter two. The BeoSound 2 is another step up though, but it's £1500.

A lot of people will buy the HomePod simply as it's from Apple. People are like sheep in this respect, sadly.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Jan 24 2018 6:36 PM

NickPG:

Very true about the microphone element!

Think I feel more comfortable with it in an Apple product rather than Amazon or Google though...

Im amused that you thunk they're different,  let alone better!

Ban boring signatures!

Mark-N
Top 500 Contributor
Maryland, USA
Posts 320
Bronze Member
Mark-N replied on Wed, Jan 24 2018 9:08 PM

NickPG:
I haven't heard the HomePod but have the expectation that it will be better than the M3, and the M5 is £200 more expensive. Would two HomePods in stereo outperform an M5 - maybe..

My expectations will be that one HomePod will be about the same as the M5, and two HomePod's in stereo should out perform the A6.  The DSP on the HomePod seems to do some interesting things.  We will have to see if this extends beyond Apple Music, and what it does when stereo paired.  I will order 2 on Friday, but I will have to wait a while to hear it in stereo.  I can compare it to the A6 but not the M5.  I can report back if anyone is interested.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Jan 24 2018 9:57 PM

Mark-N:

NickPG:
I haven't heard the HomePod but have the expectation that it will be better than the M3, and the M5 is £200 more expensive. Would two HomePods in stereo outperform an M5 - maybe..

My expectations will be that one HomePod will be about the same as the M5, and two HomePod's in stereo should out perform the A6.  The DSP on the HomePod seems to do some interesting things.  We will have to see if this extends beyond Apple Music, and what it does when stereo paired.  I will order 2 on Friday, but I will have to wait a while to hear it in stereo.  I can compare it to the A6 but not the M5.  I can report back if anyone is interested.

Surely two decent speakers will always outperform a single at stereo given the fact that they can actually be separated and thus have at least half a chance of reproducing a "real" stereo image! Single speakers are OK for background listening but are no good for creating that (maybe 70's) experience of (possibly darkened rooms with) "closed eyed pretend you're there" listening!Unsure

On the other hand lets all walk around in public  and get the tube listening to sh1t MP3's!Big Smile

Ban boring signatures!

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Thu, Jan 25 2018 12:42 AM

moxxey:
A lot of people will buy the HomePod simply as it's from Apple. People are like sheep in this respect, sadly.

A lot of people won't buy the HomePod simply because it's from Apple. To each their own.

People who find value in it will buy it, and those who don't won't.

svinaik
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 206
Bronze Member
svinaik replied on Thu, Jan 25 2018 2:56 AM

Sal:

Well,  for record, I will be buying HomePod. Just looking at the tech speck , I think it will be a great little speakers and it may be best sounding in that price range.

For real music listening, I only listen to real speakers (BL 5, BL 50) and the little speakers are just for fun and Siri integration. At $ 350 , HomePoD is cheap enough to be lots of fun and not expensive enough for a serious Apple vs. B&O shoot out...

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Thu, Jan 25 2018 4:33 AM

svinaik:
Well,  for record, I will be buying HomePod. Just looking at the tech speck , I think it will be a great little speakers and it may be best sounding in that price range.

As will I, but later this year. My aim is to compare HomePod with comparable Sonos offerings. I'll buy only after Apple implements stereo pairing and multi-room, and only after Sonos implements Airplay 2. My comparison will help me decide which I'll go with for casual listening. That being said, the sound from HomePod would have to really wow me in order to overcome the amazing Sonos software. 

I just re-read what I wrote, and realized a BeoPlay product is/wasn't even in the running. I've been so underwhelmed with the B&O software as the gateway to my music that BeoPlay isn't worth the price of admission.

Software is what's ailing B&O / BeoPlay. But we all know that. 

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Jan 25 2018 10:54 AM

Sal:

moxxey:

A lot of people won't buy the HomePod simply because it's from Apple. To each their own.

Interesting reply, when you view the reviews of BeoPlay products here: https://www.facebook.com/pg/beoplay/reviews/

Of course, not saying that "some" people won't buy a HomePod as it's from Apple, but sadly the number of those people still outweigh ALL the people who will buy a product from B&O. Not being pessimistic, but realistic.

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,169
Bronze Member
Mikipidia replied on Thu, Jan 25 2018 1:58 PM
Wow, that almost read like b&o doesn’t yet know people leave reviews online. Besides that though, i still can’t imagine wanting to have our corporate overlords listening in on private conversations which they share with third parties. They listen to more than just hey siri/google/alexa, they pick up more info from regular conversations too for the purpouses of ad shaping. So with that in mind i’d rather have a somewhat “dumb” speaker or nothing at all Stick out tongue

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 28's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Mikipedia on Intagram: https://www.instagram.com/mikipedi4/

Old: Beosound 9000 mk3, Beolab 3's, Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
I’m sure the HomePod will sell. People trust products that come from Apple in terms of design, materials, software and general ease of use.

I think an issue with the HomePod is that it is late to the market and people that love the “smart” features have already purchased google home / home mini. I have 3 of them. They work with my BS1, 6, 9 etc.

When i bought the BS1 i thought this would have made an ideal “smart” speaker.

They have their limitations and as much as i say to my phone hey Siri, it never returns the results as i expect whereas the google home mini does. So whether that limitation will lessen peoples trust with the brand time will tell.

BeoPlay like many of its competitors have changed their products to be “dumb” BT devices, albeit sophisticated ones. I dont think it will kill BeoPlay but the level of trust will dictate whether there is an attrition.
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Jan 25 2018 11:50 PM

It looks like you can turn off the always listening microphone on the HomePod.

At least according to 9to5mac, which found some of the possible options (relating to the HomePod) in the Home app.

There are plenty of reasons to be more trustful fo Apple's approach to your own data than Google, down to the way devices like the iPhone handle machine learning (its done much more locally to your device than by sending all your data, patterns and activity up to their servers for processing).

It may mean they're less able in than respect, but i'll take that as a compromise over me willingly handing everything i do / own over to Google.

But anyway, the HomePod looks like it will have the option to toggle off the always on speaker.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Jan 25 2018 11:57 PM

Completely agree.

I am somewhat staggered, disappointed and yet ultimately unsurprised how the language around audio and speaker has changed.

Reviews of these single unit speakers, whether they are cheap or more expensive, often refer to room filling sound. Its utter garbage - out of the many hundreds of these single-point speakers on the market, there may be perhaps no more than 5 that even get close to room filling sound (the A9, Naim Muso the better of the bunch).

The rest range from outright rubbish to OK at best, fine for a kitchen / bathroom, but not much beyond that.

Rant over.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Nice rant :-). It’s always needed

Interestingly the google home you can turn off the microphone but then it wont know when you say “hey google” which i wish you could program to be something else.

Weirdly though when i went in to the app, and it actually saves your actual voice and what you have asked the speaker - i found that a bit distressing, i thought it would just perhaps save your words (it does both). So i was like... oh I’m being tracked lol.

Then i got over it (to an extent)

I wonder if BeoPlay will adapt to a smart speaker themselves or do a collaboration? Beo X ??

I think perhaps their product line may become simpler perhaps.

I still see a market for BeoPlay as there are already smart speakers on the market and although i have them, i would NEVER use them for music. Just the time, the commute to work, the weather, sleep sounds (thunderstorm while I’m sleeping)
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Jan 26 2018 12:23 AM

They (B&O) apparently have already chosen Voice Integration as a principal control interface for many / as many as possible of their products, using one or more of the existing voice assistants.

Personally i loathe them, but guess i'll have to use them one day. Just putting that day off until they actually work much much better than they actually do at the moment. Just because Amazon and Google have sold 10 million of the cheap 50 dollar versions doesn't necessarily suggest to me that voice control has taken off in a big way. But a good way of getting people habituated to using voice, by giving away dirt cheap hockey puck sized devices as a downpayment on the future.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Sat, Jan 27 2018 3:15 AM

Well, if some of what is stated in the article linked below is true, I'm not purchasing the HomePod however nice it sounds:

https://9to5mac.com/2018/01/23/homepod-can-play-purchased-itunes-music-podcasts-and-stream-beats-1-without-apple-music-subscription/

If it can't access music in my iTunes library that I've ripped from CDs, then that's a dud device in my book. No Home Sharing? Come on, Apple. For once, B&O's Twonky integration to make your iTunes library available via DLNA beats what 9to5 Mac are reporting as limitations to HomePod. Unbelievable.

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
Posts 780
Bronze Member
Sandyb:

They (B&O) apparently have already chosen Voice Integration as a principal control interface for many / as many as possible of their products, using one or more of the existing voice assistants.

Personally i loathe them, but guess i'll have to use them one day. Just putting that day off until they actually work much much better than they actually do at the moment. Just because Amazon and Google have sold 10 million of the cheap 50 dollar versions doesn't necessarily suggest to me that voice control has taken off in a big way. But a good way of getting people habituated to using voice, by giving away dirt cheap hockey puck sized devices as a downpayment on the future.

I really struggle with voice control.

My New Year’s resolution was to start using voice command on my devices at least once a day to prepare for the new world of talking to plastic rather than people. I hate it. I swear so much.

But, I’m also a person who would rather use a keyboard than a mouse; if I must use a computer, so I’m probably not the best marketing target.
TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sat, Jan 27 2018 6:21 AM

moxxey:

you're 100% right!
People don't care about the quality or other brands. As soon as there's an Apple logo on something they're blind and ignorant. So the Homepod can sound as awful as it looks: Many people will buy it!

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

Correct. And then, there is an option it will sound decent, integrate nicely with other Apple products and services many people are using already and the build quality could be good, right?

What would be the last Apple product, in your opinion, to qualify a buyer for an attribute like “sheep, blind and ignorant”?

Anyway, ontopic: as someone wrote - HomePod will likely be an elegant solution for those with AppleMusic subscription and the only music streaming service. Cannot imagine someone who is using Deezer/TuneIn combo to happily take HomePod as a first choice...

egges
Top 500 Contributor
germoney
Posts 303
Bronze Member
egges replied on Sat, Jan 27 2018 7:46 AM

and why not??? i suffer the difference every day at work with the Microsoft-doorstopper and the Android stuff of my friends, family etc. nobody would complain that a Porsche is more expensive than a, let´s say, VW Golf. i’m fine within the Apple-cosmos since 1995 and therefore keen on the new Homepod, telling it to connect to my B&O devices

Wohnzimmer: BeoVision Avant 55", BeoLab 11, 12-2 und 12-3 für 5.1-Sound +  appleTV 4K und Philips BluRay-Player; BeoSound 2, BeoSound 3000 (fast nur noch Deko)////Schlafzimmer: BeoEssence MkII, BeoLab 4000 + Samsung 46"-TV////Büro: BLC NL/ML, BeoSound 35, Thorens TD320MkII, Samsung 32"-TV, WesternDigital 4TB-Server////Bad: BeoLab 2000; alles CAT7 verkabelt////Küche: M5 (drahtlos) plus diverse apple-Geräte (imac, macbook, ipads, iphones, timecapsule, watch)

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
So.... who’s gonna buy one ?
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Jan 27 2018 9:00 AM

Are there not still too many unanswered questions about Airplay 2 to know?

If, as it seems, many of the BeoPlay / BS speakers will be updated to the Airplay 2 protocol, does that effectively turn your BeoSound 2 for example into a HomePod?  Outside of the integrated voice control, it may well effectively be the same, especially in conjunction with an iPhone. 

I'm not sure what extra then a HomePod will get you? When you are saying "Hey Siri, etc etc" , your phone is listening and talking to the airplay 2 enabled speaker, rather than talking directly to the HomePod.

Of course, Siri on the HomePod may have a different capability set to the iPhone - that wouldn't be unusual, it works that way elsewhere (a Chromebook vs an Android phone). So who knows if that combination is the equal of a HomePod? 

And of course, at what point down the road (if at all) will Apple open up the HomePod to other music streaming services in the same way as Apple Music.

Apple have been late to the game in other product categories before without harming them, this time its not going to be so easy. Launching without some of the capabilities finished yet plus the huge delay is not encouraging i would suggest.

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

@egges: I am comparing my today’s experience with Deezer/TuneIn built-in within B&O prodcust (native/elegant/does not consume my mobile phone’s battery) with Airplaying experience when I want to stream AppleMusic. Plus it is not one-click-music quick playback. 

Then for the HomePod I anticipate the reverse thing. Not that it should stop Deezer users from buying it... ...just thought it might not be so ultimately elegant.

@Aussie Michael: we hope some adventurous forum members from countries where it is released might buy one and share experiences here... :whistle: ;j

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

However, still waiting for AirPlay 2 to be released ;-(

Might be more interesting for B&O/NL users (supposing that many also have ATV’s) than a ‘simple’ HPod.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

egges
Top 500 Contributor
germoney
Posts 303
Bronze Member
egges replied on Sat, Jan 27 2018 1:21 PM

sorry, AnalogPlanet, i was answering moxxey and TWG, who consider Apple-users as blind and ignorant sheeps, sadly(haven't seen your post before posting mine). of course i can't use AppleMusic out of the B&O-app, but that's not a problem for me at all. i hope Airplay 2 will give B&O the tool to enable BS 2 (and their other monospeakers) for stereo-mode as it is announced for the HomePod; at least i won't hesitate to get a second BS 2

Wohnzimmer: BeoVision Avant 55", BeoLab 11, 12-2 und 12-3 für 5.1-Sound +  appleTV 4K und Philips BluRay-Player; BeoSound 2, BeoSound 3000 (fast nur noch Deko)////Schlafzimmer: BeoEssence MkII, BeoLab 4000 + Samsung 46"-TV////Büro: BLC NL/ML, BeoSound 35, Thorens TD320MkII, Samsung 32"-TV, WesternDigital 4TB-Server////Bad: BeoLab 2000; alles CAT7 verkabelt////Küche: M5 (drahtlos) plus diverse apple-Geräte (imac, macbook, ipads, iphones, timecapsule, watch)

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Sat, Jan 27 2018 2:24 PM

Personally, I'm keeping away from voice control. Too many stories about people suddenly getting advertising for something they've mentioned in a private  conversation, even though they were convinced that their mobile device microphone was supposedly turned off.

Just wait until rogue political parties start exploiting this technology and are listening to your views..... Big Brother???

Graham

Mark-N
Top 500 Contributor
Maryland, USA
Posts 320
Bronze Member
Mark-N replied on Sat, Jan 27 2018 3:38 PM

AnalogPlanet:
@Aussie Michael: we hope some adventurous forum members from countries where it is released might buy one and share experiences here... :whistle: ;j

I have 2 pre-ordered but will only set up one initially.  I am a pretty basic user since I don't subscribe to Apple Music and only use my local library of music. I won't be using Siri much if at all since it won't work well with Japanese words and then only pull my music off of iTunes Match which is lower resolution. I will be happy to report back on my Airplay usage and how well I think it sounds without doing any direct comparison's to my B&O devices.  I don't know if I will have Airplay with Tunein or how elegant that might be, so that might be missed.  The Tunein app for iPhone/iPad seems to require a paid subscription to use. I believe this will be an advantage for B&O!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Jan 27 2018 4:43 PM

vikinger:

Personally, I'm keeping away from voice control. Too many stories about people suddenly getting advertising for something they've mentioned in a private  conversation, even though they were convinced that their mobile device microphone was supposedly turned off.

Just wait until rogue political parties start exploiting this technology and are listening to your views..... Big Brother???

Graham

Orwell was prescient in predicting abuses of the surveillance state, but he never would have imagined that Big Brother might not be the government but rather the tech giants like Google, Facebook, etc. I am far too distrusting to let voice command products have free reign around the house.

For a while I worked in computer forensics, the things I can tell you after looking at your cache and search results would astound you. We've seen cases over here where the police obtained Siri and Alexa search records that were quite damning. Siri, how do you get rid of a body? Seriously. But what kind of moron asks that and doesn't think it's recorded somewhere in the cloud?

Once again, it's a tradeoff between privacy and convenience. Usually convenience wins for most people. As for the HomePod, I look forward to hearing what it really sounds like, the blurbs on the drivers and such look promising.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Page 1 of 6 (216 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS