Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Will HomePod 'kill' BeoPlay?

rated by 0 users
This post has 215 Replies | 4 Followers

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Sat, Jan 27 2018 6:48 PM

Mark-N:
 I am a pretty basic user since I don't subscribe to Apple Music and only use my local library of music.

This is me and I also don't use Siri. However, the fact that one's true library isn't accessible via Home Sharing, and even if it was, it may not play all of the tracks based on limitations which are right now being reported by tech news sites is a bit problematic.

I'm eager to hear how it sounds so please keep us posted!

Mark-N
Top 500 Contributor
Maryland, USA
Posts 320
Bronze Member
Mark-N replied on Sat, Jan 27 2018 7:21 PM

Sal:
This is me and I also don't use Siri. However, the fact that one's true library isn't accessible via Home Sharing, and even if it was, it may not play all of the tracks based on limitations which are right now being reported by tech news sites is a bit problematic.

I'm not sure what this means, if I can't access my iTunes library and direct it to the HomePod via Airplay?  This would be a very bad move on Apples part if that happens.  I will use the iTunes Remote app which connects to my library via Home Sharing and just select the HomePod in Airplay.  If this doesn't work like it is expected to I will be returning the HomePods immediately.

One area where I expect Apple to be better than B&O is software updates for problems encountered.  We'll see though.  I still have to periodically unplug my Essence Mk II every now and then to get my Essence Remote to work again.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Sat, Jan 27 2018 8:45 PM

Mark-N, here's an excerpt from this article which is making the rounds:

"If you add music to your home iTunes library that was not acquired through a purchase, HomePod will not be able to access it. It appears HomePod doesn’t have Home Sharing, which would enable that kind of feature."

Mark-N
Top 500 Contributor
Maryland, USA
Posts 320
Bronze Member
Mark-N replied on Sat, Jan 27 2018 10:16 PM

I don't know of any Airplay speakers that has Home Sharing.  That is normally on the device that is playing the music and sending it to the Airplay speaker such as the iPhone or iPad.  I think there is a lot of information out there from people who are incorrectly interpretting certain statements from Apple, since it is not out of personal experience.  I just can't believe that Apple would do that!

Edit:  Thinking about it more, Home Sharing would be used by Siri to access your local music. Since the HomePod doesn't have that [yet], would make sense why Siri would only work for Apple Music.  This would have no affect for Airplay though.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Mark-N:

I have 2 pre-ordered but will only set up one initially. I am a pretty basic user since I don't subscribe to Apple Music and only use my local library of music. I won't be using Siri much if at all since it won't work well with Japanese words and then only pull my music off of iTunes Match which is lower resolution. I will be happy to report back on my Airplay usage and how well I think it sounds without doing any direct comparison's to my B&O devices. I don't know if I will have Airplay with Tunein or how elegant that might be, so that might be missed. The Tunein app for iPhone/iPad seems to require a paid subscription to use. I believe this will be an advantage for B&O!

@mark. I think they are released here next week. UnsureWhistleWhistle
Mark-N
Top 500 Contributor
Maryland, USA
Posts 320
Bronze Member
Mark-N replied on Sat, Jan 27 2018 11:21 PM

Aussie Michael:
@mark. I think they are released here next week. UnsureWhistleWhistle

Looks like a two week wait for mine!  No rush though, it will only get "exciting" when I can stereo pair them!

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Sun, Jan 28 2018 4:02 AM
I’m also looking forward to airplay 2 and hope the BS2 will eventually work the same way as a homepod. Once stereo pairing is in place, i could replace my BL8000 with two BS2.

In the meantime, i’m using an apple tv with my BV as many of you. Has anyone found a hdmi-sense that would turn on the BV if the apple tv plays (via airplay)?
Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
What even is Airplay 2?
egges
Top 500 Contributor
germoney
Posts 303
Bronze Member
egges replied on Sun, Jan 28 2018 6:42 AM

Aussie Michael:
What even is Airplay 2?

it brings multiroom

Wohnzimmer: BeoVision Avant 55", BeoLab 11, 12-2 und 12-3 für 5.1-Sound +  appleTV 4K und Philips BluRay-Player; BeoSound 2, BeoSound 3000 (fast nur noch Deko)////Schlafzimmer: BeoEssence MkII, BeoLab 4000 + Samsung 46"-TV////Büro: BLC NL/ML, BeoSound 35, Thorens TD320MkII, Samsung 32"-TV, WesternDigital 4TB-Server////Bad: BeoLab 2000; alles CAT7 verkabelt////Küche: M5 (drahtlos) plus diverse apple-Geräte (imac, macbook, ipads, iphones, timecapsule, watch)

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
In say iTunes in your phone ?

You can do multi room on your computer if I am not mistaken ?

egges:

it brings multiroom

Wohnzimmer: BeoVision Avant 55", BeoLab 11, 12-2 und 12-3 für 5.1-Sound + amazonFireTV, appleTV (4th. gen.) und Samsung BluRay-Player; BeoSound 2, BeoSound 3000 (fast nur noch Deko)////Schlafzimmer: BeoEssence MkII, BeoLab 4000 + Samsung 46"-TV////Büro: BLC NL/ML, BeoSound 35, Thorens TD320MkII, Samsung 32"-TV, WesternDigital 4TB-Server////Bad: BeoLab 2000; alles CAT7 verkabelt////Küche: M5 (drahtlos) plus diverse apple-Geräte (macmini, macbook, ipads, iphones, timecapsule, watch)

egges
Top 500 Contributor
germoney
Posts 303
Bronze Member

it brings multiroom to your ios-devices (click to enlarge)

Wohnzimmer: BeoVision Avant 55", BeoLab 11, 12-2 und 12-3 für 5.1-Sound +  appleTV 4K und Philips BluRay-Player; BeoSound 2, BeoSound 3000 (fast nur noch Deko)////Schlafzimmer: BeoEssence MkII, BeoLab 4000 + Samsung 46"-TV////Büro: BLC NL/ML, BeoSound 35, Thorens TD320MkII, Samsung 32"-TV, WesternDigital 4TB-Server////Bad: BeoLab 2000; alles CAT7 verkabelt////Küche: M5 (drahtlos) plus diverse apple-Geräte (imac, macbook, ipads, iphones, timecapsule, watch)

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Great thanks for that egges
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Jan 28 2018 8:57 AM

Also they have reworked the streaming process, so as to make it more robust to drop outs (essentially by getting the source / speaker to build bigger buffers).

And Airplay 2 is (supposed) to be fully integrated into the Home app, allowing the now playing screen to control multiple speakers etc.

Questions remains over whether multiple AP2 speakers can be used as part of surround sound with a TV. 

Also question over degree of control Siri gives you - is it just Apple Music that can be triggered, or will it there be some way to play radio stations?

Anyway, i'm not too bothered - either by voice control, or what AP2 brings over B&O NL. 

And as it says on the HomePod page, an Apple Music subscription is required for " full music functionality" - implying that an existing AP speaker updated to AP2 will be missing the odd feature.

egges
Top 500 Contributor
germoney
Posts 303
Bronze Member
egges replied on Sun, Jan 28 2018 9:17 AM

i‘m keen on the reports from the anglo-saxon members

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Jan 28 2018 10:30 AM
Mark-N:

Aussie Michael:

@mark. I think they are released here next week.

Looks like a two week wait for mine!  No rush though, it will only get "exciting" when I can stereo pair them!

Mine is scheduled for pick up on the 1st day of Oz availability 09/02.

BeoNut since '75

Mark-N
Top 500 Contributor
Maryland, USA
Posts 320
Bronze Member
Mark-N replied on Sun, Jan 28 2018 10:59 PM

So back to the original question:  Will HomePod 'kill' BeoPlay?

I think that Apple Marketing will not let that happen!  It looks like the main purpose of the HomePod is to increase the Apple Music subscriptions.

Where B&O targets the BeoPlay speakers to:

• Apple Users with AirPlay
  • Google Users with Chromecast
  • Everyone else with DLNA
  • TuneIn listeners
  • Spotify listeners
  • Deezer listeners
  • Everyone else with Bluetooth

Apple targets the HomePod speakers to:

• Apple Music subscribers
  • shhh - people with an iTunes library - but don't make that too known.  Most of the Apple info on HomePod is very vague on this capability.

While the HomePod may be an interesting product in its own realm, I don't think B&O will loose too much sleep over it.  Apple would have to open it up a lot more.

Cardinalsong
Not Ranked
Melbourne, Au
Posts 24
Bronze Member

To answer your question, No.

Thankfully for B&O, Apple is too proud with the HomePod. No line in, no stereo at launch, no other services except Apple Music Subscriptions. (What were they thinking).

The market is saturated with inexpensive speakers, and the quality of the sound is simply not a purchasing decision for 90% of buyers in this price range. 

It will sell well, sure - but it'll also be another Apple accessory that hangs around for 3 years, maybe gets a rev, and then disappears.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Mon, Jan 29 2018 9:46 AM

Cardinalsong:
It will sell well, sure - but it'll also be another Apple accessory that hangs around for 3 years, maybe gets a rev, and then disappears.

If that's meant as a criticism, its still better than some Beoplay products!

Ban boring signatures!

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Jan 29 2018 9:56 AM

Indeed, in a way we should stop all this pointed criticism of specific brands.

We all know that tech cycles are short, and all brands limit software updates to the newest products by and large. Apple are probably the least guilty when it comes to this. Look at LG TVs, where 2016 full 4K models dont get the latest webOS. Is that because they're dont have capable enough hardware, is that because they chose not to so as to maintain the attraction of the new models. Probably somewhere in between, but the refusal to do much at all with recent TVs is poor behaviour. Apple phones and laptops up to about 4-5 years old generally get the latest OS's, with feature exclusion generally down to the hardware limitation.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Maybe we should just take a deep breath - and wait untill it actually is there and has shown how it performs in different user cases.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Roger
Top 200 Contributor
Norway
Posts 417
Bronze Member
Roger replied on Fri, Feb 2 2018 9:40 AM

B&O customers that will go all-in on AirPlay 2.0 may get the HomePod, I guess. The B&O wireless speakers can co-exist with the HomePod in an AirPlay 2.0 setup, and they may even get a mic update this Fall as well.

For me, two typical Apple issues will keep me from jumping on the HomePod immediately: Siri is not very good in my native language and, for now, HomePod is more or less exclusive to your iTunes library and/or your Apple Music subscription. 

With a B&O wireless speaker I can cancel or sign up for any subscription with Tidal, Deezer, Spotify, Apple Music etc. Voice control may be the future, but for someone with a Scandinavian accent I still prefer a Scandinavian product with hands-on control.

Roger

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
Roger:

Siri is not very good in my native language and, for now, HomePod is more or less exclusive to your iTunes library and/or your Apple Music subscription

I am continuing to prepare my family for the arrival of the HomePod (shhhhh it’s a secret) by using the ATV remote to invoke Siri and access music.

Voice commands used today included:

- play playlist Chariots of Fire

- play playlist Mum’s Favourites

- play playlist For Marg

- play playlist A9 (one I built for testing an in store A9)

And some specific tracks for my son that I don’t remember

BeoNut since '75

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Tue, Feb 6 2018 6:38 PM

1st more serious reviews are out : https://www.whathifi.com/apple/homepod/review

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/6/16976906/apple-homepod-review-smart-speaker

Seems quite amazing. Waiting for comparaison with BS2 BS1 and M5...

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
So Apple has a chamber ?

And an audio team ?

But they don’t have Geoff and his colleagues !

http://www.loopinsight.com/2018/02/06/inside-apples-homepod-audio-lab/

Still Friday/Saturday’s unpacking and listening will be interesting.

Especially as I doubt any of the hundreds of employee homes in California are anything like mine !

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Feb 6 2018 10:19 PM
benoit:

1st more serions reviews are out : https://www.whathifi.com/apple/homepod/review

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/6/16976906/apple-homepod-review-smart-speaker

Thanks Benoit !

I had already read about the loneliest speaker in the room Big Smile (The Verge review) and perhaps this is THE speaker for Geoff Martin’s “man without friends” LaughingLaughing ...

More seriously, I found What HiFi review the most thorough and informative to date ...

So using Siri on the iPhone I started with ...

that track was the followed by a Simon and Garfield “The only living boy in New York”

And then DJ Siri spun The Beatles “A day in the life”

I then inserted a live Horowitz recording of a Mozart piano sonata, and then I said ...

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Feb 6 2018 10:20 PM
I said “hey Siri play something else” and this is what I got

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Feb 6 2018 10:24 PM
Certainly different from Mozart (apologies for multiple posts) as my big thumb 👍 hits “Post” instead of “📷”

BeoNut since '75

lizethkemny
Not Ranked
New York
Posts 1
Bronze Member

If you just can't wait for the HomePod to come out, here are some alternatives that will make an alternative for homepod: https://www.howtoisolve.com/best-homepod-alternatives/

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Feb 8 2018 11:43 PM
Unboxing ... in some ways I feel guilty posting this

It is HEAVY for its size ... and comes with pacemaker warnings !

Not quite 3 steps ... hold iPhone close to HomePod and you get a pop up with 5 steps 1st which room ? Ts&Cs ? Then share contacts etc (ie loss of privacy) ? Then sync settings ? One voice test and you’re ready to rock ...

Now playing something I’d like ... Peyroux, Gardot, Bruni, etc

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Fri, Feb 9 2018 12:39 AM
I have not done any B&O speaker shootout yet - I’ll save that for the weekend.

What I will say, based on some 30 mins of casual listening as I wandered between kitchen, bathroom, family room, and bedroom is that it is a pleasant speaker that was audible in all 4 rooms without an volume adjustments.

BeoNut since '75

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

Great to see first pics, thanks! :) Hope everything will run smooth with Siri... ;)

When Airplay 2 will be launched and B&O adds its support on current lineup I will be intrigued if HomePod could be used only as “Siri microphone” and AppleMusic streamer via Airplay 2 to B&O? Example: setting A9 in Home app in the “Living room”, setting HomePod in for example “Corridor” (even if it physically next to A9) and then asking Siri to play “some relaxing music from 50s in the living room”... :) 

I would like to bypass B&O app and fiddleing with mobile phone completely if possible. :)

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
AnalogPlanet:

Hope everything will run smooth with Siri... ;)

This is my 2nd gripe ....

Hey Siri what’s playing ?

She names a song ... by Melody Gar-DOT

Ouch !

Siri is good on track names but not non-US artists !

(Melody Gar-DOH is Canadian!)

My 1st gripe was “her” pronunciation of “Madeleine Peyroux”

BeoNut since '75

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Fri, Feb 9 2018 11:22 AM

elephant:
I have not done any B&O speaker shootout yet - I’ll save that for the weekend.

Will be interesting to hear how the audio quality compares, as I've only read positive feedback on the audio performance, but still have no idea how this compares to, say, a BeoSound, BeoSound 2 etc.

For a shade over £300, if the quality is decent, sadly I'd consider one. My A6 is very flaky even with a fixed IP. Sound quality is very mid-range and I'm seriously considering moving it on. A9 is amazing in comparison though.

svinaik
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 206
Bronze Member
svinaik replied on Fri, Feb 9 2018 9:58 PM

No direct comparison with B&O but just on standalone basis, HomePod is phenomenal. 

Received the HomePod today and have been listening for the past 2 hours. A real big sound in small package and lots of fun with Siri (though on the Apple Music quality) but I am not using this as a critical listening set up. Just a fun set up.

Sound remains pretty good through out the room and Siri has amazingly fine listening. 

Good separation of vocals and instruments. Everything comes out clean and not mushed at all.

If one can live in Apple universe (or use airplay without Siri), it seems a no brainer versus B&O small speakers.

Mark-N
Top 500 Contributor
Maryland, USA
Posts 320
Bronze Member
Mark-N replied on Fri, Feb 9 2018 11:46 PM

I received my two Homepods today and hooked one up for now.

- I am not an Apple Music subscriber

- I do have my iTunes library in iTunes Match

- I mainly listen to my music with iTunes Remote on my iPad using Airplay to the speaker(s) I want it.

- I have no reason to use Siri to select my music, I gather it would be more frustrating with Japanese words and Japanese names which is now a good portion of my library.  But it is fun to ask Siri "What's playing" and hear how Siri handles the names and titles.

My first listening session left me very impressed. Everything sounded good, but for me possibly a little bass heavy.  Without a direct comparison to anything I am very happy with it.  A lot of people think that the price of a Homepod is outrageous, but being a B&O customer I think it is a bargain.

I did move my BeoSound 2 to be next to it to see how it compares to a $2000 system.  I was mostly interested in initial impressions.

I used DB Meter Pro on my iPad to get the volume levels as close as I could.  I played a song on the HomePod and then the same song on the BeoSound 2.  The bass on the BeoSound 2 sounded very subdued in comparison, which made me go to the settings.  Bass & Treble - Flat, Position - Wall where it should be.  Loudness - off.  I turned it on to see if it would brighten up.  I wish I could adjust the bass on the HomePod a little, I would turn it down a bit.  The BeoSound 2 to my ears has better bass control, but I did find the mids and highs a little better on the HomePod, in general.  Sometimes in comparison (on a couple of songs) the mids on the BeoSound 2 appeared somewhat muffled in comparison.

The important test:  Kanna Hashimoto's Arigato

I've read that the HomePod is *not* a mono speaker so I was hopeful to hear the word of the out-of-phase word "bakari".  On the HomePod the sound level of this word is much lower, although it is clearly there. On the BeoSound 2 the word is either the same sound level or does even appear a bit louder.  I think the BeoSound 2 handles cases like this better.  I expect it will be fine when I can stereo-pair the HomePod.

Focusing on the vocals test: Alan's Sign

The HomePod is supposed to analyze the song and present the vocals toward you.  This song's lyrics are in Tibetan, but you would never be able to know this as the vocals are buried deeply in the instruments and you can barely hear them.  Listening to the song on the HomePod is like hearing a slightly different version of the song.  There seemed to be a pathway that opened up to the vocals, indeed a very pleasant new listening experience. The bass is handled better on the BeoSound 2, but everything else was wonderful on the HomePod.

This processing is what might be giving an edge to the HomePod in a lot of cases.  I still very much like my BeoSound 2, and I won't be doing back-to-back comparisons in my everyday use.  I have to admit that if I was deciding between a HomePod or the BeoSound 2 in a store, it would be hard to justify spending quite a bit more for the BeoSound 2, even after buying 2 HomePods.  The BeoSound 2 does look fantastic!  I do very much appreciate TuneIn being builtin to the BeoSound 2.  I do listen to that quite a bit.  If the HomePod was a little more open it would be a treal hreat to the existing market.  Apple doesn't claim that the HomePod presents the music faithfully, but it does do it in a very pleasant way, at least to me.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Feb 10 2018 4:34 AM
After Mark-N’s critical listening I am not sure my elephant 🐘 ears 👂👂 are up to that standard.

Whilst I haven doing some casual listening I have not tried the comparisons with my BeoLabs (sorry no BeoSound 1 nor 2).

This was going to be rant on techno journalism but first I must say that I just listened to these three songs:

Mrs Hemingway

Royals

The Firebird

And I was amazed at how the HomePod handle the transition between two quiet tracks and the Lorde bass. Which thumped — but without distortion.

The Firebird on the other hand sounds weak / thin ... interesting.

You will not from the image the tracks are from the BeoLab 20 test playlist Geoff Martin put together.

My rant is that despite the walled garden allegations I haves just played to the HomePod from Apple Music Airplay - switched to Spotify - switched to Deezer - seamlessly ! So come on journos, give me a break - do your homework!

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Feb 10 2018 4:42 AM
Some dB measurements playing Adele’s Skyfall directly from Apple Cloud and monitoring via iPhone at about 10 inches ... and SWMBO just yelled “too loud” 😇

BeoNut since '75

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

😇

did you think "This is the End.  Hold your breath and count to ten?"

:-)

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Feb 10 2018 5:00 AM
And this ... this is clever marketing ... by Sonos

Sonos cleverly mocks Apple on HomePod launch day - CNEThttps://apple.news/AU94-ZrmCQgmK2DVU7DPb-A

😄😅😂🤣

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Feb 10 2018 5:03 AM
Aussie Michael:

😇

did you think "This is the End. Hold your breath and count to ten?"

:-)