Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Will HomePod 'kill' BeoPlay?

rated by 0 users
This post has 215 Replies | 4 Followers

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sat, Feb 17 2018 6:03 PM

Apologies  my apple product is not helping me post.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Feb 28 2018 7:27 AM
This thread has been quiet for 10 days - perhaps indicating that the HomePod is a storm in a teacup (or perhaps a kettle !).

Anyway I have still been playing with mind and testing tracks that reviewers and MacRumor’s forums have reported.

One popular review that generated much debate was Pogue’s blind test of these tracks:

* “Star Wars: Imperial March.” Full orchestra, full volume, full of brass.

* “Havana” (Camila Cabello). Current pop hit. Distinct bass, drums, piano, and voice. Lots of rhythm.

* Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 in G Major. All strings, full range of pitches and dynamics.

* “Hallelujah” (Pentatonix). A cappella ballad, five voices, very exposed and close to the mikes.

* “Helpless” (from “Hamilton”). Broadway pit band, pop sound, female harmonies.

Here is a photo of one of my tests ... in a new setting for the HomePod ... an Ikea bookshelf:

I did conduct a discrete test with my wife of piano, non-vocal versions of “Havana” and for once she rated the BL6000s below the HomePod !

Finally I tried an artist recommended by someone on MacRumors ... TIPPER ... with three tracks that were um “interesting” 😮

- Scapula

- Dead Soon

- Six Pak

So far I find the HomePod good for background listening and in its current guest bedroom bookshelf position I have been using it while riding our exercise bike !

BeoNut since '75

Roger
Top 200 Contributor
Norway
Posts 417
Bronze Member
Roger replied on Wed, Feb 28 2018 8:13 AM

The HomePod is of limited interest for most of Europe until it becomes available in more locations.

The sound quality is one crucial aspect of the buying decision, but the user experience also plays a major part for most traditional B&O owners - and I do expect Apple to excel here. B&O still hasn't released the "final" sw-solution to their wireless speaker range, and it's sad that the recommendation in the "firmware" thread seems to be to wire them. That issues will never come up for the HomePod - it will just connect.

The other concern, seen from a B&O perspective, should be the price point: The HomePod will cost approx. 25% less than the BeoLit 17.

Roger

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Thu, Mar 1 2018 6:36 AM
elephant:

This thread has been quiet for 10 days - perhaps indicating that the HomePod is a storm in a teacup (or perhaps a kettle !).

Anyway I have still been playing with mind and testing tracks that reviewers and MacRumor’s forums have reported.

One popular review that generated much debate was Pogue’s blind test of these tracks:

* “Star Wars: Imperial March.” Full orchestra, full volume, full of brass.

* “Havana” (Camila Cabello). Current pop hit. Distinct bass, drums, piano, and voice. Lots of rhythm.

* Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 in G Major. All strings, full range of pitches and dynamics.

* “Hallelujah” (Pentatonix). A cappella ballad, five voices, very exposed and close to the mikes.

* “Helpless” (from “Hamilton”). Broadway pit band, pop sound, female harmonies.

Here is a photo of one of my tests ... in a new setting for the HomePod ... an Ikea bookshelf:

I did conduct a discrete test with my wife of piano, non-vocal versions of “Havana” and for once she rated the BL6000s below the HomePod !

Finally I tried an artist recommended by someone on MacRumors ... TIPPER ... with three tracks that were um “interesting” 😮

- Scapula

- Dead Soon

- Six Pak

So far I find the HomePod good for background listening and in its current guest bedroom bookshelf position I have been using it while riding our exercise bike !

BeoNut since '75

Played Tipper - Scapula...

Strange Surprise Big Smile

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Alen
Top 500 Contributor
Ljubljana Slovenia
Posts 86
Bronze Member
Alen replied on Thu, Mar 1 2018 7:34 AM

elephant:

Apple is not  my cup of coffe but LEGO.. Broken Heart

Great AT-AT MOC!

BS A1 2nd gen, BS 1, Beo 1, BL 2, BeoCom 2, 2x LC 2, Form 2, BS 2, Beosound 2, Beplay M3, 2x BS 3, BS 4, 2x Beo 4, BS 5 + CD rip, BM 5, BL 5, BL 6000, Beo 6, BS 6, H6, BL 8000, 2x A8, BV 8-40, H9, 3x A9 Keyring, BL 12 - 3, Serenata, BeoTime, BeoTalk 400, B&O Bottle Opener, BV Eclipse 55  My LEGO 

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Fri, Mar 2 2018 11:22 AM
@Alen - a Lego thank you

BeoNut since '75

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 621
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Fri, Mar 2 2018 2:50 PM
Just got a HomePod from UK, will test it this weekend in my typically moderately-sized Scandinavian living room.

A/B comparison with BeoPlay A6 and BeoSound 8. I really do not know what to expect, so this might be fun!

I'll do some HomeKit upgrades at the same time.

The toys:

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
KMA:

Just got a HomePod from UK, will test it this weekend in my typically moderately-sized Scandinavian living room.

A/B comparison with BeoPlay A6 and BeoSound 8. I really do not know what to expect, so this might be fun!

I'll do some HomeKit upgrades at the same time.

The toys:

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

Looks like a busy weekend !

I have started renaming my HomeKit devices ... what made sense for using an iDevice or an ATV App did not make sense when I am trying to give the HomePod voice commands.

Eg Hey Siri switch on chandelier only activated one bulb. They had been labelled chandelier 1, chandelier 2, ..., chandelier 5.

Now they are C1, C2, etc

I did not go to Michael H’s extreme of 1, 2, 3, etc !

So try some experiments before setting up everything only to have to change it.

BeoNut since '75

WilliamsSmith
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member

Well, I think it won't kill BeoPlay, Because HomePod is just for Apple Music so as for those who play other streaming music, they still have chance for playing their music on other devices, like BeoPlay. BTW, I am Apple Music users, so I might to buy HomePod for my Apple Music.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Mar 27 2018 11:24 AM
WilliamsSmith:

Well, I think it won't kill BeoPlay, Because HomePod is just for Apple Music so as for those who play other streaming music, they still have chance for playing their music on other devices, like BeoPlay. BTW, I am Apple Music users, so I might to buy HomePod for my Apple Music .

I stopped reporting all my testing ... after all this is a B&O forum :)

However I would have appreciated KMA’s feedback ...

What I will say is I am very happy with the HomePod being located in the Guest room with the exercise bike so I try to use both daily Big Smile

Where Siri let’s me down is after ~40 minutes of exercise ... but that may be because I am puffing 😤like whale 🐳 at that stage Laughing

BeoNut since '75

Ryan
Not Ranked
Toronto, Canada
Posts 33
Bronze Member
Ryan replied on Tue, Mar 27 2018 5:54 PM

I'm in Canada and homepod is not available here yet. A friend imported one. My first reaction was shock at how small it is. Was expecting something larger. Despite all of Apple's mumbo-jumbo about magical technology, this doesn't even sound as good as Sonos Play:1. And really the only thing I like about the Play:1 is that it moves a lot of air for such a small speaker.  My opinion: the raving articles saying people will abandon their stereos for these things are just internet noise. It sounds fine and balanced, but the max volume was not impressive at all.

For me it's similar to every iPhone announcement where they claim to have created the best camera ever made, then you get the new phone and it takes typical disappointing photos in all but perfect lighting conditions. No better than a $100 compact camera.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Wed, Mar 28 2018 7:03 AM

elephant:
What I will say is I am very happy with the HomePod being located in the Guest room with the exercise bike so I try to use both daily Big Smile
Hmmm, I see... The iBike !

Hey Siri :

Jump on that bike and go for a 40mn exercise

Laughing

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
elephant:

Looks like a busy weekend !

I have started renaming my HomeKit devices ... what made sense for using an iDevice or an ATV App did not make sense when I am trying to give the HomePod voice commands.

Eg Hey Siri switch on chandelier only activated one bulb. They had been labelled chandelier 1, chandelier 2, ..., chandelier 5.

Now they are C1, C2, etc

I did not go to Michael H’s extreme of 1, 2, 3, etc !

So try some experiments before setting up everything only to have to change it. BeoNut since '75

It’s good !

Cool
Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Alen:

Apple is not my cup of coffe but LEGO..

Great AT-AT MOC!

BS 1, Beo 1, BL 2, BeoCom 2, 2x LC 2, Form 2, BS 2, 2x BS 3, BS 4, 2x Beo 4, BS 5 + CD rip, BM 5, BL 5, BL 6000, Beo 6, BS 6, H6, BL 8000, 2x A8, BV 8-40, 3x A9 Keyring, BL 12 - 3, Serenata, BeoTime, BeoTalk 400, B&O Bottle Opener, BV Eclipse 55 My LEGO

Love your LEGO

I’m surprised how much the HomePod looks like the Sony connected speaker

Timmersch
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Timmersch replied on Wed, Mar 28 2018 2:24 PM

Please do keep posting your findings !

I find myself checking these forums once in a while in the hope of finding a nice comparison between a BeoSound 1/2 and the HomePod.

No luck yet, but your posts come close Wink

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 621
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Sat, Mar 31 2018 6:35 PM
elephant:

I stopped reporting all my testing ... after all this is a B&O forum :)

However I would have appreciated KMA’s feedback ...

What I will say is I am very happy with the HomePod being located in the Guest room with the exercise bike so I try to use both daily

Where Siri let’s me down is after ~40 minutes of exercise ... but that may be because I am puffing 😤like whale 🐳 at that stage BeoNut since '75

I'm getting there Big Smile

I've been so busy with my summer house project that HomePod is still in the box, after all these weeks! Also, I've been HomeKit enabling my home, where HomePod will be the hub.

Yesterday I made a firmware update to power outlets around my place – which was a breeze, but I also thought it was funny: Power outlets with Firmware!

ETA for unboxing the HomePod: tomorrow, Easter Sunday. I'll be playing it side by side with BeoPlay A6 at first, and I'm excited about the sound comparison!

KMA

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Mar 31 2018 6:56 PM

Power outlets with firmware...pretty much defines the concept of gilding the lily.

Just be thankful they're not BeoOutlets. The next s/w update would result in a blackout.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 621
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Sat, Mar 31 2018 7:48 PM
Jeff:

Power outlets with firmware...pretty much defines the concept of gilding the lily.

Just be thankful they're not BeoOutlets. The next s/w update would result in a blackout.

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

Elgato's products work perfectly with Apple. A very positive user experience. I just wish I could rename Siri as "Honey", so that I could say things like "Hey Honey, I'm home!" to control scenes Big Smile

KMA

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Apr 1 2018 1:48 PM

KMA:
Jeff:

Jeff

Elgato's products work perfectly with Apple. A very positive user experience. I just wish I could rename Siri as "Honey", so that I could say things like "Hey Honey, I'm home!" to control scenes Big Smile

You should name her Lucy. "Lucy, I'm home!" Ahhhh, Ricky...

Jeff

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Jeff:

Jeff

I re watched Lucy the other night.

It’s a good flick.
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Apr 1 2018 2:47 PM

Aussie Michael:
Jeff:

Jeff

I re watched Lucy the other night.

It’s a good flick.

I think you got the wrong Lucy there Babalooo.

Jeff

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Jeff:

I think you got the wrong Lucy there Babalooo.

Jeff

I know. I just wanted to share my juicy Lucy story lol.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Hey Lucy - play Hey Juicy ?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sun, Apr 1 2018 6:42 PM

If you want it to improved your musical experience, call it Jude...

"Hey Jude, don't make it bad
Take a sad song and make it better..."

Whistle

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
CB:

If you want it to improved your musical experience, call it Jude...

"Hey Jude, don't make it bad Take a sad song and make it better..."

Fantastic!

Well done - you put a big smile 😃 on my dial ⏱

BeoNut since '75

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Has anyone actually bought a HomePod?
benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Wed, Apr 4 2018 11:56 AM

Waiting for KMA's comparative sound review ;-)

ibg001
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
ibg001 replied on Wed, Apr 4 2018 12:57 PM

M3 is not expensive. 

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Apr 4 2018 11:14 PM
Aussie Michael:

Has anyone actually bought a HomePod?

I know of four in Melbourne Wink

BeoNut since '75

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
elephant:

I know of four in Melbourne

BeoNut since '75

Stick out tongue
expoman
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 182
Silver Member
expoman replied on Thu, Apr 12 2018 2:53 PM

Home pod sales are lackluster.  Apple just cut orders to supplier.  I think B&O is safe for now.

Timmersch
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Timmersch replied on Fri, Apr 13 2018 10:01 AM

Lackluster for an Apple product..., I bet B&O would kill for the buzz and revenue HomePod has generated.

Also remember, a similar headline has appeared for almost every Apple product since the launch of the original iPhone.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Apr 13 2018 10:20 AM

I think thats right i.e. dont underestimate Apple's ability to persevere with products and succeed to some degree.

That said, i was struck by how little prominence the HomePod had in my local Apple retail store.

They had one on display on the table, and its a big store.

And look at Apple Music subscriber growth / base...its ok at best, especially considering the install base of iOS devices. When they launched the subscription service, plenty speculated that they would catch Spotfy's paid base relatively quickly, but those expectations have not really been met as yet.

So not all Apple products and serves reach lift off. And i say this as an avowed Apple fan.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Fri, Apr 13 2018 10:21 AM
Hi,

To me, all this nonsense is so far from what real hi-fi has to offer. Just computer speakers, that will never ever replace my big boxes or panels, my all analogue setup, sorry.

The sound these devices produce - B&O or Apple alike - is just bad, not hi-fi.

Expensive kitchen radios, perhaps.

Jacques

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Fri, Apr 13 2018 11:12 AM

chartz:
Hi,

To me, all this nonsense is so far from what real hi-fi has to offer. Just computer speakers, that will never ever replace my big boxes or panels, my all analogue setup, sorry.

The sound these devices produce - B&O or Apple alike - is just bad, not hi-fi.

Expensive kitchen radios, perhaps.

Exactly my thoughts too. Manufacturers are brainwashing everyone to the idea that these little speakers, all around the home, with poor bass output, are somehow superior to true HiFi.

Graham

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Fri, Apr 13 2018 2:46 PM
vikinger:

Exactly my thoughts too. Manufacturers are brainwashing everyone to the idea that these little speakers, all around the home, with poor bass output, are somehow superior to true HiFi.

Graham

I think manufacturers are responding to a generation who value portability and accessibility over sitting in a sweet spot to listen to music.

Tastes have changed.
benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Wed, Apr 18 2018 8:19 PM

I have now a HomePod since some days and did a side by side listening with my BeoSound 2. Setting up was fluent and took less than 5 minutes. Just approach the iPhone and answer some few questions and done.

BS2 can get far louder but as I live in a condo I cannot push that much the level. I use the BS 2 at 35-55% when with the Homepod I'm between 40 and 60%. Max level of the HomePod is 2/3 of the BS2 I would say, but far too loud for my flat. (I refer to the sound cursor position in iTunes as I only Airplay music from my MacBook or iPad).

BS2 is a bit more clear sounding. Better mediums and trebles. Bass are sometimes a bit more heavy (boomy) on the HomePod (but I reduced them in the BS2 settings) and not as much as on my previous Beolit 15 which was very placement dependent.

To my ears I have to tell that I'm impressed with the feeling of having sometimes the voices placed in front of the instruments in some tracks. When I move around in my small living room (24 sqm) I think that the 360° is slightly better with the HomePod. None of them are stereo but the wideness of the scene seems better with the HomePod.

Design wise the BS2 is far better with perfect aluminium finish. HomePod is not bad but more discrete; it's very heavy for it's size, and well built as well.

If I had now to decide what to buy I couldn't anymore justify to spend 5 times more for a slightly better sounding device. HomePod is not bad at all. I'll see as the time passes if I feel the BS2...

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Duels:

I think manufacturers are responding to a generation who value portability and accessibility over sitting in a sweet spot to listen to music.

Tastes have changed.

Exactly - and that was the reason for Bang & Olufsen to create the subbrand B&O Play.

Different kinds of taste and needs. 

Those who value mobility as their luxury, tent to buy Beoplay products - those who value durability and constancy as their luxury,

prefer the B&O products (or even the older B&O products).

Nowadays most of us mix....because we are versatile and live complexe lives.

However, there has been a general shift towards more flexibility and portability - and Bang & Olufsen as a company does well in serving both.

Actually they were pretty fast to understand this.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Apr 18 2018 11:45 PM

I'm afraid that for the modern B&O products durability and constancy are not the words that come to mind to describe the ownership experience. Older B&O, yes, as I sit here listening to my 20 plus year old BS9000 setup. Newer, not so much.

Jeff

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Thu, Apr 19 2018 8:51 AM

Duels:
vikinger:

Graham

Tastes have changed.

Well my tastes haven't changed! With a proper system you can enjoy the sweet spot or listen to reflected sound all around the house.

The current trend is rather as if transistor radios in every room had been marketed as superior to Hi Fi in the 1960's.

Graham

Page 4 of 6 (216 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS