Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Will HomePod 'kill' BeoPlay?

rated by 0 users
This post has 215 Replies | 4 Followers

Bazzinga
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member
Bazzinga replied on Tue, Jun 11 2019 5:55 PM

what do you think about the future of B&O? Will the brand be closed or maybe it will lose its quality? Or they will stay afloat? I didn't know that B&O had that much problems actually.... So B&W does it better in that point? It is so strange to know now that B&O -best design, positioning of the brand etc. now nearly bankrupts... Small dissonance out there =/ Hope that B&O will overcome it.

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Tue, Jun 11 2019 6:56 PM

I wish they will survive but I cannot read the future. I hope they will finally 'catch the train' and find what to do to become healthy again.

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 812
Gold Member

Personally, I think B&O are finished. I hate saying that as a long time admirer of the brand but I strongly believe that to be the case. I think they have 5 years at best but more likely 2-3. They have had ample opportunity over several years to rethink their business strategy but keep making ludicrous decisions that aren't helping the company at all. With these decision makers still holding the reigns there is little hope and I do honestly think it's too late now for a turn around. It has all been about shareholders, not customers; the perfect recipe for disaster. A great shame but they have clearly demonstrated they just don't have the necessary foresight in business. In addition, their creativity died with David Lewis. Simon.

B&O products are V1-32, BS2, H95, E8 and an Essence remote.
11-46 now replaced with Sony A90J 65”, Sony HT-A9, Sony UBP-X800M2 and Sony SRS-NS7.

Bazzinga
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member
Bazzinga replied on Tue, Jun 11 2019 11:08 PM

Simon, I still think that they have great products. Love beoplay a9, beosound 2 but i think that beolab 50 can't compare in design with beolab 5 for example... If it happens, I don't know which audio brand I'd choose, I really like the combo that B&O delivers. Maybe they'll sell B&O to Harman/JBL (like they did with the car audio business) but after that I am not sure about the future quality of B&O and the sound.

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 812
Gold Member

They do have some good products I agree. I like the new Harmony, the BeoLab 50s and 90s, also the Edge; but aside from the Edge (to a point), what percentage of people in this limited market to begin with are able to afford these products and help the company stay afloat? An example of bad decision making in my opinion. Make smaller versions of the Harmony, lower the price to be more inline with the competition (a previous post highlighted B&O were somewhere between 2x and 3x the price of competitors before, not the 10x + they are these days). They have become greedy along with so many other companies these days and this is the result. To make matters worse, quality doesn't even match the price. No point having expensive products if nobody is going to buy them. What about product testing? That has been questionable in the last 10 years, as has product integration and software development. B&O used to have a reputation for superb quality, design, function and integration in the past, and now? The sad truth is they are just not up to par anymore and I find that a great shame. BeoPlay was an interesting idea, although I was never a fan of that route personally, but it has turned out to be a positive path for them to some extent. It's not enough though and products are too similar in look and function. There's just not enough creativity and thinking about the future and they have shown this by being late to the digital age and lagging way behind. Where are the young innovative students from Universities (for example) with all their inspiring and interesting concepts, which I am sure are out there in abundance? To me, there's a real old school feel of the older generation people at the top still stuck in the past with arrogance and perhaps ignorance blocking the younger more creative talent from exploding through with their ideas. A further example of bad decision making stunting the company's chance for any change or growth. It's not about products anymore, a complete rethink and new business model is needed. Simon.

B&O products are V1-32, BS2, H95, E8 and an Essence remote.
11-46 now replaced with Sony A90J 65”, Sony HT-A9, Sony UBP-X800M2 and Sony SRS-NS7.

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 644
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Fri, Aug 16 2019 6:37 AM

trackbeo:
I'll try updating the HomePod software (3 GigaBytes!) when I can take it back to the house where it was originally configured and where a registered, verified, Apple-head loaned me their iPhone to do it. [SNIP] EDIT (later): Updating the software [12.4] caused the Homepod not to work *at all* in "Everybody Play" mode!
A quick test also showed that everybody-play mode -- even when logged in to its own home WiFi network -- worked exactly the same way, i.e. just as poorly as when it wasn't connected to any WiFi network.

So I gave up and re-configured the HomePod to play for all users only on its own WiFi network.  In that mode, and with all the Siri & etc. features turned off, it finally worked as a plain dumb AirPlay speaker.  For me to use it, this required connecting my friend's iPhone to *my* home network, and then using their Home app in my house to configure the HomePod (which it found via Bluetooth because of course HomePod couldn't connect to the network at my location).  After shooting the new WiFi credentials to the HomePod and switching everybody-play into on-this-network-play, all worked as expected.  

The only remaining question is, now that my friend is back at home, can the HomePod device and/or the entire Home config be deleted on the iPhone with no ill effects?  Or does Apple reach out over the internet to my house, where it knows (remember, it knows!) that particular HomePod is attached and disable it?  Because the "normal" configuration will have Siri turned on, and maybe be streaming Apple Music or whatever, it could be considered insecure to leave it running if my friend's account deletes it.  I think I'll test that.  More later...  [EDIT: Yep.  Deleting the "Home" from my friend's phone remotely disabled the HomePod at my house, via the internet!]

So is it a BeoPlay killer?  Only if you use some of the features I turned off, like Siri and/or home control.  As a speaker, it's a little upper-mid-bass heavy, seemingly doing the psychoacoustic trick of boosting a higher octave to simulate lower bass.  I haven't moved it around to see if it re-adjusts for the room every time it boots; that would be worth it.  Otherwise, except for looks -- which is important to a B&O lover -- there is no reason to prefer it to a Sonos.

[EDIT: Not only that, certain versions of iTunes simply stop playing when they attempt to access an Airplay2 device, but work OK with an Airplay (1) device, e.g. iTunes 12.9.5.5 (running on MacOS 10.14.5) stalls on the HomePod & its Airplay icon turns from blue to orange.  This is easily verified by updating an Airport Express 2nd gen to the Airplay2 firmware and the same stall happens, until you downgrade it back again.  But, for example, iTunes 12.8.2.3 (MacOS 10.12.6) works just fine with the HomePod, probably because it only uses Airplay (1).  Buggy bugs bugging buggity bug.  Hopefully they'll fix them soon, but for right now, they're killing me, not BeoPlay!]

Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
Posts 520
Bronze Member

I agree. I have 3 Beoplay and 3 HomePod speakers. Here are a couple of my observations:

1. HomePods in stereo pairs sound good as a bookshelf speaker and at it’s price outperform the Beoplay M5, Beolit and others I have tried. Homepods sound about as good as the beosound 1 at a much lower price. I replaced an A6 and 2 M5s with HomePods and there is no looking back...

2. Beoplay has better higher end  speakers like the Beosound 2, Edge and A9 are best in class IMHO. I love the A9 and they work great with HomePods and other AirPlay 2 gear. I have 2 A9s now. I love them!

3. Beoplay battery powered products like the P6 are best in class IMHO.

4. Beoplay headphones look great but sound is so-so. I got rid of all my Beoplay headphones...

I avoid using ANY B&O software if possible. 

B&O in my life 😊: 

• Beolab 8002 + Beolab 2 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Office)
  • Beolab 6000 + Beolab 11 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Bedroom)
  • Beoplay A9 Mk2 (Living Room)
  • Beosound 1 with wireless dock (Portable)
  • Beosound Balance (Dining)
  • Beoplay H95 (Focused listening, travel)
  • Beoplay H9 (3rd gen) (retired)
  • Beoplay P6 (Portable)
  • Beotime wall clock (hallway entrance)
  • BMW X5 50i with B&O Audio Package (Commute/drive)

Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
Posts 520
Bronze Member

I agree. I have 3 Beoplay and 3 HomePod speakers. Here are a couple of my observations:

1. HomePods in stereo pairs sound good as a bookshelf speaker and at it’s price outperform the Beoplay M5, Beolit and others I have tried. Homepods sound about as good as the beosound 1 at a much lower price. I replaced an A6 and 2 M5s with HomePods and there is no looking back...

2. Beoplay has better higher end  speakers like the Beosound 2, Edge and A9 are best in class IMHO. I love the A9 and they work great with HomePods and other AirPlay 2 gear. I have 2 A9s now. I love them!

4. Beoplay headphones look great but sound is so-so. I got rid of all my Beoplay headphones...

B&O in my life 😊: 

• Beoplay P6 (Portable)

Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
Posts 520
Bronze Member

B&O in my life 😊: 

• Beoplay P6 (Portable)

Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
Posts 520
Bronze Member

B&O in my life 😊: 

• Beoplay P6 (Portable)

mm08642
Not Ranked
Posts 42
Bronze Member
mm08642 replied on Sun, Oct 20 2019 8:31 PM

Jaffrey2230:
I replaced an A6 and 2 M5s with HomePods and there is no looking back...

2. Beoplay has better higher end  speakers like the Beosound 2, Edge and A9 are best in class IMHO.

From a few high-end loudspeakers, and otherwise completely interchangeable products, neither the B&O dealers nor Bang&Olufsen will survive.

Jaffrey2230:

A key differentiator could be easy-to-use software. A great user experience should be the target. But as long as Bang&Olufsen affords an incompetent software development team, the future looks very dark.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
I still don’t know anyone that has purchased. Home pod.

Google home mini and their other speakers yes.
Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
Posts 520
Bronze Member

HomePod is too closed. Amazon, Google and Sonos are better. B&O’s connected line is getting better very quickly and prices are much more competitive. Main problem in US market is retail presence. I had given up on their headphones, but they recently put out an excellent firmware update for the H9 noise cancelling headphone. Made a big difference. I miss the fact they don’t have a Beolab 6000 replacement, but their designs are still A+ in my opinion.

B&O in my life 😊: 

• Beoplay P6 (Portable)

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 303
Bronze Member
poodleboy replied on Sat, Oct 26 2019 1:44 PM

Jaffrey2230:

HomePod is too closed. Amazon, Google and Sonos are better. B&O’s connected line is getting better very quickly and prices are much more competitive. Main problem in US market is retail presence....

Very great points.

As much as I hate to say it Apple may be very smart keeping their system less open. Google and Amazon systems have unlimited usefulness of our lives and data in their widespread ventures. That is scary and real to me. Apple's arrogance and independence now more of a benefit in my view. 

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Oct 26 2019 3:51 PM

Good point poodleboy. When shopping for a cell phone here, I have two choices. Apple iOS or Google Android. As much as I dislike Apple and their business practices, to me Google and their manipulation of search results and surveillance of users makes them just evil. Google's motto, don't be evil, that's our job.

So, it's iOS devices, much as I'd like to have another option there basically isn't one without going thru more hair pulling than I want to do for a phone. Guess I could get a Serene...Surprise

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
Posts 520
Bronze Member

I totally agree. If you care about privacy (you should). I work in the software industry and Apple is the only one among Google, Amazon and Apple that seems to care about user privacy (outside of China - where all data is compromised). I am glad to see that B&O has probably the best AirPlay 2 compliant audio ecosystem system out there. The new LG TVs are getting it as well so not sure if B&O will update the Eclipse and Harmony since they are running close to stock LG firmware. 

B&O in my life 😊: 

• Beoplay P6 (Portable)

Page 6 of 6 (216 items) Β« First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 | RSS