Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolit 600 external power supply connection

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Keith1958
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
Keith1958 Posted: Thu, Feb 1 2018 4:59 PM

I have just acquired a beautiful Beolit 600 1501 ( the slim mid 1970,s one) and want to use an external 7.5volt power supply to run it. Looking at the circuit diagram in the little envelope It looks like the radio is positive ground and the supply is negative. Therefore I think the power supply plug should be - outer sleeve positive and pin negative. Can anyone more technically savvy please  confirm that this is the case. I would hate to get it wrong and blow a perfectly usable radio.

many Thanks in advance

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
Posts 764
Gold Member

I think it was an odd size connector,that you may have trouble finding nowaday's?

Prap's another Beoworld member has more info on this?

The modern switching type powersupply adaptors could be problematic too,as they can generate interference,that the Beolit will pick up.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had success with this,as I would like a power supply adaptor for my own Beolit.

Nick

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Fri, Feb 2 2018 11:23 AM

All my colouradios are mains powered so they don't have a DC socket, but I have a Beolit 1000 and I didn't find anything special in the connector(*. Any "multi" power supply with a selection of plugs will probaby include a working option.

The polarity is indeed - in the inside, + in the sleeve (opposite to almost all modern day kit). The radio circuitry is positive ground. If you get one of the power supplies with multiple invertible plugs, fix the one you need permanently to the cord with shrink tubing or something, and dedicate that PSU for your Beolit.

*) The one I use actually sits a bit loose in the socket, but works fine nonetheless. It's possible the socket in the Beolit has a thinner center pole than usual in that outer diameter socket.

--mika

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
Posts 764
Gold Member

I think that must be correct.Mine was intermittent,which was a nuisance.Probably rather oxidised contacts too?

Nick

Keith1958
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member

Thanks for the good advice, much appreciated. I’ve ordered a linear psu off eBay and will dedicate that to the Beolit for its sole use

Keith1958
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member

Thanks for the good advice, much appreciated. I’ve ordered a linear psu off eBay and will dedicate that to the Beolit for its sole use

Jonty_L
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
Jonty_L replied on Wed, Feb 23 2022 3:03 PM

Rather late to this discussion, but I found myself in exactly the same position…a perfect Beolit 600, but no external power supply.

I took a chance and ordered an "Eagle 2250 mA regulated switch Mode PSU" online.  £20/$25.  Multiple modes, voltages, and switchable polarity. Works perfectly.

So pleased to have got this classic radio up and running.  And after 40 years, FM still sounds superb. Powerful, mellow. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS