Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beoplay H9i Bluetooth or wired?

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

saobang3886
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
saobang3886 Posted: Mon, Apr 16 2018 4:14 PM

I just bought a H9i. The audio from Bluetooth is good, but only AAC code support. It miss aptX prom last gen. Is it good enough for Bluetooth streaming or I should use wired for better audio? Can you recommend some DAP or DAC, AMP can make it shine, thank you :D

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Apr 16 2018 4:55 PM

I would give it a few days just to make sure you want more / better than the Bluetooth streamy are currently experiencing.

I have high end BT over the ear headphones - similarly, i think the BT stream (from iPhone and MacBook Pro) is decent, but when i plug my headphones wired into my MacBook Pro, its just much better (quality and loudness).

So you may not need an additional DAC or AMP.

Macbbok Pro' are supposed to have decent DAC's for a laptop, so while there will doubtless be better stand alone DAC units / headphone amps, you may find that your laptop alone offers a good step up from a mobile device.

Wired is definitely better - i use my headphones wired at times and wirelessly at others, but if i'm in the mood for a more immersive louder experience, than it has to be wired. 

saobang3886
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

Thank's for your advice. I will give it some time for experience with bluetooth and try wired on my macbook. Just ask if it worthy update quality with DAC or AMP  :D

Jon
Top 500 Contributor
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Posts 241
Bronze Member
Jon replied on Tue, Apr 17 2018 2:58 PM
It all really depends on what you do with them - in quiet places there’s a huge difference between wired and Bluetooth (with or without aptX) but in noisy places like on a bus or in public, I find it almost impossible to tell the difference (and wireless is always more convenient in those kinds of places too).

As for a DAC, the built in one on a lot of Apple products are pretty good already but you could always pick up the B&O branded LG HiFi Plus module if you wanted to stay in-brand (they’re super cheap second hand these days). Otherwise the AudioQuest DragonFly stuff is supposed to be good?
Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 174
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Tue, Apr 17 2018 7:59 PM

saobang3886:

The audio from Bluetooth is good, but only AAC code support. It miss aptX prom last gen. Is it good enough for Bluetooth streaming or I should use wired for better audio? Can you recommend some DAP or DAC, AMP can make it shine, thank you :D

It depends on the digital music sources you are using. AAC code has a transfer rate cap of 250 kbps, creating a file similar to that of a mid-quality MP3.

If you are listening to MP3s anyway I suggest not to spend some extra money for a superior DAC to make it shine, you won't hear the difference.

In case you are listening at least to 16 Bit/44.1 kHz CD quality or higher, you will get a better sound for sure with a superior DAC.

Chord Hugo 2 I can recommend. Quite similar to the Chord Electronics Qutest, which I have, connected to a stereo amp with passive speakers. Nearly the best sound I have ever heard.

saobang3886
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

Thank you all your advice, I usually listen streaming 320 kbps on bluetooth, so AAC code maybe fine. If it not much different between wired and Bluetooth on noisy place then I don't need lossless source and DAC, AMP to play on wired, right?. It mean just use it normal :D

Kenobinai
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
Kenobinai replied on Wed, Mar 6 2019 10:31 AM

HI, I have a question on this. I've noticed that I need to turn on the headphones for a much better wired experience. Sounds becomes louder, etc.

Is this normal?

Thanks

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
The ANC gets turned on, I believe.

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS