Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beocord 8002 - Faulty fast forward and PPM

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Sevensad
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
Sevensad Posted: Wed, May 2 2018 4:31 PM

Hi all,

First let me introduce myself briefly. I've recently discovered the B&O vintage equipment and I fell in love with their design and quality. So I've decided to buy some elements and started to build a complete setup. I first bought a Beomaster 3000-2, in fully original condition, and with the exception of the red FM tuning lights, fully functional.

I then bought a pair of matching Beovox 4000 which sound fantastic together with the Beomaster 3000-2, very deep bass and clear mid / high tones.

And now I got myself a Beocord 8002 in order to rediscover my cassette tapes. It's in pretty good condition. The seller had it serviced in 2005 and since had it stored in his basement. When I plugged it in, it worked fine with the exception of two functions (so far):

1- Fast Forward: if I ffwd directly, it tries but doesn't winds the tape. If I rewind for 10-15s and then ffwd, then it works, initially pretty well but as it goes, it starts slowing down.

I've read a couple of threads of other users having this issue. However, what causes it does not seem very clear: faulty belts, lubrication issue, dirt, etc.... Anything I should be looking at first?

2- the PPM: it doesn't work. When I play a tape, I get sound on both channels, but the PPM lights (green and red) do not show anything. So the 8002 is usable, but the PPM would look really nice and would be the cherry on the cake.

What could be the source of this problem?

I'm not afraid of doing things if I know what to do, so any help or advice would be very much appreciated. 

Thank you in advance.

Nelson

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Thu, May 3 2018 12:24 AM

Hi,

I have restored a number of BC8004 and BC9000 models which have their roots in the BC8000 and 8002 designs. They all share the same basic cabinet with changes to the internals (and a few external things). The way the cassette assembly installs is the same on all of them and the problem you are experiencing with the fast forward is common. That problem is most likely mechanical while the PPM problem is likely electrical.

For the cassette assembly mechanic restorations I always take them apart to clean and lubricate. While doing that I replace the two belts and four rubber wheels. The belts and wheels I always get from Martin (Dillen here on the forum). You can be sure that his parts will be accurate replacements for the originals. There is also a clutch assembly that has a plastic part that can start cracking and causing problems. Those mechanical restoration steps have always been successful for me in solving any cassette forward, reverse or play mechanical problems.

These Beocord units are also getting to the age where some of the electrolytic capacitors are starting to fail. It didn't used to be so critical to replace those on these Beocord units as it was on the Beomasters but I have started to find some Beocords with failed capacitors lately. 

The lamps for the displays of course can burn out and the segmented LED displays will eventually start to have LEDs that fail.

All of those things are repairable though and though other people may not like audio cassettes I still enjoy them and like using these Beocord units with the Beosystems they were designed for.

-sonavor 

Sevensad
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
Sevensad replied on Thu, May 3 2018 10:51 AM

Thanks a lot Sonavor for the prompt reply and your suggestions. I've read thoroughly some of your posts related to your restoration works, and I must say, these are pretty impressive!

I will start with the FFWD issue by checking the belts and the components of the transport mechanism. I've read also about the idler pulley and it's hardened rubber which causes issues with the FFWD. I'll try the "sanding" fix first on top of cleaning and lubricating. If it doesn't resolve the issue, I'll probably have to order the belts and wheels as you suggest. However, I must confess that having to take apart most of the mechanism to access the idler pulley is a bit of a scary perspective...

I'll also use this opportunity to check the condition of the clutch for cracks. I've read the post about the fix with pipe sections, so I would know what to do if it is in bad shape.

For the PPM, it is surely electrical. I will check if there are any apparent failed components who could be the source of the visual silence. The other display (counter) works as it should with all segments being bright red.

With 3 small children at home, I need to find enough spare time to dig into these repairs, that's why clear pointer would be so precious for me ;-)

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Thu, May 3 2018 2:39 PM

The PPM problem could just be that the lamp for that display has burned out.

Pindsen
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 49
Bronze Member
Pindsen replied on Sun, Oct 3 2021 3:05 PM

I have had a BC8002 with no activity in the PPM and it turned out to be cracked soldering at R113 on PCB1.

/Pindsen

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS