Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 5 issue

rated by 0 users
This post has 31 Replies | 2 Followers

Michael
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 67
Bronze Member
Michael Posted: Tue, May 8 2018 3:37 PM

Hello other Beolab 5 owners or fellow Beoworld guys,

6 months ago I became the lucky owner of a preowned 2012 set Beolab 5, so far so good.

Now I'm having an issue with one of the speakers, that kind of "forget/loose" the calibration once a week, where the green light flashes but still plays.

I must power off the speaker and put in calibration mode again, wait to that's done and every thing works fine again, for at least maybe a week or so when the problem comes back.

Any good ideas or maybe someone has had the same issue, and found a fix or a repair from B&O?

Lets hear it from the experts.

Michael

Michael
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 67
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Fri, May 11 2018 8:05 AM

Nobody with the same issue at all, here in Beoworld?

Dante
Top 500 Contributor
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Posts 163
Bronze Member
Dante replied on Fri, May 11 2018 5:11 PM

I never heard about this problem before, however, I'll give it a try...

In order to reset the calibration of a BL5 you have to press and hold the top plate button for a few seconds.

Possible causes:

1) someone at your place loves to press the top plate button and you are not aware about that. :-)

2) there is a problem at your top plate, which is activating by itself.

2.1) your top plate button is too sensitive.

3) another deeper problem in the circuits.

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 742
Founder
Hi Michael, I’ve had this problem with one of my BL5s, but not the other.

At first I thought it was just forgetting the calibration, but then one day I was at home when it spontaneously started to calibrate itself. It did not complete the calibration, so I assume that’s why it flashed green intermittently the next time I turned my BV9 on.

(Temporary) cure was to disconnect it from the mains for about a minute, then reconnect and manually trigger calibration. It still forgets occasionally, maybe once a year.

I don’t know how hard is too hard to press the calibration button. If I merely touch it, calibration does not start.
Michael
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 67
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sat, May 12 2018 2:21 PM

Thanx for your reply, this is something I'll try to work with, before B&O comes to repair it.

Michael

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 742
Founder
Michael, did you ever get to the root cause of this problem?
Michael
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 67
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Jul 3 2018 7:43 AM

Nope, but my dealer will change the chassis with all the electronics of the speaker and hope the problem is gone.

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 742
Founder
Good luck, sir.
phult
Not Ranked
Posts 51
Bronze Member
phult replied on Tue, Jul 3 2018 11:18 PM

Dear Lawrence,

I had the EXACT same issue with a brand new pair of lab 5 that I purchased back in 2007. I tried to get the B&O store where I purchased them to repair them under warranty several times but finally gave up because they were so rubbish at customer service.

Upon moving to a new house last year, I contacted B&O UK and to their credit once managed to get to a person of authority they took responsibility and eventually got them to repair the problem.

Unfortunately (for your) this involved replacing the main PCU "Brain" which I believe would have cost around 1800 pounds if not under warranty.... 

I suspect that the actual problem is a fried and much less expensive EPROM chip, but the way B&O repairs work they can't actually try and replace small individual parts - which frankly I understand. 

So good news is you can fix this problem... bad news is its expensive if you have bought a second hadn't pair.... but good news (might be) that even once I had 'fixed the problem' I honestly did not hear any difference.

Best

Philip

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 742
Founder
Philip,

How kind of you to write and share your experience - thank you.

I bought them new from a dealer here in the U.K. in 2013. Whilst they are now out of warranty, it was an issue I reported to them very soon after purchase.

But it happens so infrequently now, and getting service is so challenging from a time/effort/logistics point of view, I am not minded to pursue it until I stop travelling.

Thanks again for responding.

Kind regards,

Lawrence
Michael
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 67
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Fri, Jul 6 2018 9:20 AM

Latest update regarding my Beolab 5.

Yesterday I had a visit from my dealer, with the task to try and update the SW from 3.20 to the newest 3.30a on both speakers.

There was a little problem with the faulty speaker, but after 2-3 times the update was in place for both speakers. Now only time will tell if this is a fix, and I can save some money for not buying the expensive chassis replacement.

I'll get back with any news.

Cheers

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder

phult:

I suspect that the actual problem is a fried and much less expensive EPROM chip, but the way B&O repairs work they can't actually try and replace small individual parts - which frankly I understand. 

This Eprom with the settings stored from each driver, can be taken out of the chassis and fitted on the new chassis. Which is a normal routine when a chassis is replaced.

If the Eprom fails, the settings can be downloaded via the serviectool as the these are stored under it's serialnumber on B&O's server and programmed on a new eprom.

Keep in mind that the fault isn't always caused by a "fried" eprom.

egj1975
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
egj1975 replied on Sun, Jul 8 2018 10:28 AM

Hi. This has nothing to do with the eprom or the chassis. This is a bad connection due to a bit of corrosion on a connector or a defective component on a small PCB thats under the "neck" of the speaker. The problem is that this bad connection tricks the speaker to think that you are pushing the top button on top and there for goes to calibration mode and than stays there. So when you arrive its blinking and waiting for a calibration.

Michael
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 67
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Mon, Jul 9 2018 12:05 PM

Okay that's interesting, do you know about a fix without buying a new chassis maybe?

/Michael

Michael
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 67
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Jul 19 2018 10:54 AM

Just a little update after 14 days since the update of my speakers, and still no problem with the speaker missing the calibrationSmile

Let's hope it stays like that and I've saved a lot of money.

/Michael

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Michael:

Just a little update after 14 days since the update of my speakers, and still no problem with the speaker missing the calibration

Let's hope it stays like that and I've saved a lot of money.

/Michael

Nice result Mike Lets have a Party !!!
Michael
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 67
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Jul 31 2018 6:13 PM

Bad news - the problem is back again, so the update did'n fix it.

Looks like I must get a new chassis after all, but hey Beolab 5 is still worth all the money Wink

Stay cool!

Michael
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 67
Bronze Member

Looks like I must get a new chassis after all, but hey Beolab 5 is still worth all the money Wink

Stay cool!

Michael
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 67
Bronze Member

Stay cool!

Michael
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 67
Bronze Member

Stay cool!

BeoMegaMan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 601
Bronze Member

I have experienced this in the past and a new EPROM was the fix. 

Ah, you know... A little B&O here, a little there 

Michael
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 67
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sat, Aug 11 2018 5:05 PM

Hi BeoMegaMan,

Can you tell me more about that and which EPROM fixed the problem please?

/Michael

pauljrog
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member
pauljrog replied on Sat, Aug 11 2018 9:29 PM

Hi,

Unfortunately one of my beolab 5 speakers is forgetting the calibration settings, ive had it for 10 months and has forgotten 3 times.

The unit flashes green, i need to perform a calibration which it successfully carries out first time, and it carries on as normal, just that this shouldn't happen.

The pair are from 2011, the good news is they are still under warranty so i'll email the B&O dealer, but i'd be interested if anyone else is having this kind of problem with there's.

pauljrog
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member
pauljrog replied on Thu, Aug 16 2018 7:44 PM

Just received message from my local B&O dealer, they have been discussing the fault with B&O and they will send a service guy round to replace the Eprom.

So good news, fingers crossed it cures the problem.

Michael
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 67
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Mon, Aug 27 2018 11:39 AM

Hi there,

Any news from the visit of the B&O service guy and your speaker?

Howzit
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 94
Bronze Member
Howzit replied on Mon, Aug 27 2018 8:02 PM

Thats great news!

Out of curiosity, did you buy your BL5s from a dealer second hand, or through a private sale; my question is weather or not you have/had any warranty for speakers when you got them? Or did you pay the dealer to come out? Here in the US, buying second hand is a tricky proposition in case you get issues after you get the speakers.

Beolab 9 | Beolab 8000 | Beolab 6000 | Beolab 2 | Beolab 3 | Beosound 9000 | Beoplay A9 | Beomaster 8000 | Beovox M75, / S75, / S45.2 

pauljrog
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member
pauljrog replied on Mon, Aug 27 2018 8:25 PM

No news at the mo, I'm currently working away so the repair hopefully will get done in the next few weeks.

I'll let you know once it's been done.

Michael
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 67
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Sep 26 2018 4:38 PM

Latest news update.

Seems like got my problem solved, with a simple and cheap solutionBig Smile

The top cover can be removed and fitted with a new one, since the bottom to start the calibration can sometimes be tricky and give the problem I've been having.

So for now the last months, I've had zero problems with the speaker and the best part is it was cheap to order a new top cover, at my local dealer for around 50€.

I'm happyStick out tongue
pauljrog
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member
pauljrog replied on Wed, Sep 26 2018 7:19 PM

My news about my faulty Beolab 5 is that a repair guy is coming round soon to replace the faulty EPROM unit.

I've been told by B&O that should sort the issue.

Glad you got yours sorted👍

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,391
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Wed, Sep 26 2018 8:59 PM

Hi

I have my pair with issue. One who begins its calibration and doesn't stop it, it stays at a level of the calibration and is not able to continue. It works well despite this issue.

The other one is recently having pb. When it power on and works it works great but regulary I have to unplug it because it doesn't react to powerlink command of stop and start. So it can stay red or green depending of the situation.

I will soon try another mk2 cable.

Otherwise I hope it's just a question of eprom.

4 beolab 5,  beolab 9, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000 mk2, beolab 6002, beolab 3500, beovision 7 55 mk2,  2 beovision 11 46 mk4, beotime, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beoplay A8, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,391
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Wed, Sep 26 2018 8:59 PM

Hi

I have my pair with issue. One who begins its calibration and doesn't stop it, it stays at a level of the calibration and is not able to continue. It works well despite this issue.

The other one is recently having pb. When it power on and works it works great but regulary I have to unplug it because it doesn't react to powerlink command of stop and start. So it can stay red or green depending of the situation.

I will soon try another mk2 cable.

Otherwise I hope it's just a question of eprom.

4 beolab 5,  beolab 9, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000 mk2, beolab 6002, beolab 3500, beovision 7 55 mk2,  2 beovision 11 46 mk4, beotime, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beoplay A8, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

danne99
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Bronze Member
danne99 replied on Tue, Dec 25 2018 11:40 PM

Hello!  I just wonder what numbers youre serial starts with?

And what year came the 3.30 software and what differs from 3.20?

Page 1 of 1 (32 items) | RSS