Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

how warm amp at standby (recap necessery?)

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

BeoLignage
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 207
Bronze Member
BeoLignage Posted: Wed, Oct 17 2012 3:04 PM

Hi,

I noticed that the top of my BM3500 gets quit warm when left on standby. Is it normal?

It gets warm to the left of the middle, in the cooling flange area on top of the plastic ribs, currently not wall mounted but lying flat. Yeah, the place where you would expect it to be hot when played, and it is, but how warm is normal at standby?

BR //Goran

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 12:18 AM

Hi Goran

It is not normal that it gets hot at standby. I've just checked my BM 4500...I can only feel very little heat...like a little over room temperature.
If it feels hot, then something is wrong...

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

BM 2400, just hand warm or a little less, BM 5000 cool,

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
Posts 1,106
Bronze Member

I vaguely recall seeing a post quite some time ago saying that hot at standby means capacitors need replacement(?)

BeoLignage
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 207
Bronze Member

thanks for your answers,

hard to meausure our perseption of warm... if I hold my hand to the right side of the BM it will feel cool, this is beacuse it is 23 degreec C as the room, while my hand is somewhere around 37, and the part where it is warm is somewhere over 37.

after some hours of listening it is not much over this temperature, it was at moderate volume however. Nothing else indicates that something is wrong Hmm

since I became a member on the forum I have read on several occations about recap of beomasters.

is this a word to say; changing all capacitors on all boards, or is it changing all components in some areas? I can't say that I am experianced in soldering, but I have done some electric projects, and if I wouldn't have chosen to become an MSc. engineer I would have liked to be an electrician (still concidering) Whistle also since I in the first place bought the 3500 as a back up or donor for my 4500 I would concider giveing it a try.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 1:10 PM

Could be that the amplifier section is not properly shut down in standby.

Martin

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 1:27 PM

I don't think the 3500 has the notorious red capacitors, though obviously other types will go out of spec with time.

Peter

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 10:46 AM

I have a like fault in BM4500 years a go. There was one resistor burnt, dont know why. Sadly I dont remember witch one it was. Since then it has worked without problems.

blah-blah and photographs as needed

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS