Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolink - Video Distribution (signal from PC VGA)

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

alfio
Not Ranked
Posts 59
Bronze Member
alfio Posted: Wed, Oct 17 2012 10:28 PM

Hi

in my system I used a HTPC as Blu Ray , DVD  and multi media video source for my BV8.

I learned in a previous thread that  in order to allow a Video distribution I need to add to the HDMI signal also a SD video signal.   I did  it with my SAT receiver ( HDMI and SCART) and it works fine.

My question is related to the PC  for which I do have a HDMI and a VGA ( the two exits can be controlled independently even with different resolutions.)   Will the signal of the VGA be considered and treated as SD signal and eventually be distributed via the RF modulator ?

I am asking that because the intervention on the TV is quite complicated and messy ( my wife will kill me for messing up the living room) and I would like to do it only one time.

The alternative I could think be to use an adapter HDMI to SCART after having duplicated the HDMI signal ( but it would be also more expensive than using the VGA).

Thanks for the support

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

No answer, but a question:

How do you plan to control the HTPC from your Linkroom?

Greetings Millemissen

There is a tv - and there is a BV

alfio
Not Ranked
Posts 59
Bronze Member
alfio replied on Thu, Oct 18 2012 8:10 AM

The HTPC is a Windows 7 based PC with Media Center.

The idea is to use it via the PUC.  I had the XBOX PUC  control elements loaded and I plan to use an IR USB unit on the PC.

In this way I will control as a general unit via the Masterlink

I checked on what was available on the market and I found the WME infrared receiver as a potential solution ( requiring some tweaking )  could be controlled by the XBOX remote ( this was my initial plan). In the meantime I found this link http://flirc.tv/ and I ordered one unit .

As plan B I could use IRTRANS.

Regards

hfat
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 663
Bronze Member
hfat replied on Thu, Oct 18 2012 9:51 AM

If you plan tu use Windows Media Center you need an MCEUSB remote control on your HTPC. The PUC needed is the Microsoft 1024 controller.

hfat

LarsJensen
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Bronze Member

Hi

The only signal that will be distributed is that coming in on a SCART connection so no your VGA signal will not be treated as a SD signal. You therefor cannot distribute the VGA signal directly.

There are a couple of solutions that may work depending on your video card and your HTPC software.

You either have to convert your VGA signal to SCART (you can buy a device for this but quality is not always that good) or you can find a videocard that has both HDMI and TV-out.

Either way you will also have to wire line out sound to the SCART for sound distribution through masterlink

You then run in to two problems:

Will your HTPC software support displaying it’s output on two screens with different resolution or does your videocard support “mirror” with different resolution

Will your HTPC software support playing sound on two devices at the same time. If it does not the sound will either be sent thtough the HDMI cabel and that is not distributed through masterlink or it will only play stereo even in the main room.

It is not an easy task but it can be done. I know from experienceSmile

/Lars

alfio
Not Ranked
Posts 59
Bronze Member
alfio replied on Thu, Oct 18 2012 1:19 PM

very interesting, I had the table updated by my B&O dealer  the only options he found were  for XBOX, that is why I am considering the FLIRC. Officially Microsoft does not provide anymore MCE and I was not 100% sure of the HP clone I can find around.

alfio
Not Ranked
Posts 59
Bronze Member
alfio replied on Thu, Oct 18 2012 1:32 PM

Thanks for the clarification.

According to the Motherboard manual the HD audio allows for dual exit but I will test it  just to be sure. Regarding the video, NVIDIA state that I could have the two ports ( HDMI and VGA or DVI) used independently or in mirror mode with two different resolutions.

Following your considerations however if I need to convert VGA to SCART than maybe I could try to do that with HDMI  directly ( I have also a DVI exit) 

Regards

alfio
Not Ranked
Posts 59
Bronze Member
alfio replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 8:39 PM

Hi Lars

just for further clarification. The Video useful for distribution shall necessary connected to a SCART ( AV1, AV2 and AV4) or I can also use  AV3 ( Pr, Pb, Y or  Video ) ?

Regards

hfat
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 663
Bronze Member
hfat replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 4:03 PM

alfio:
Microsoft does not provide anymore MCE and I was not 100% sure of the HP clone I can find around.

Yes, you are right. I also use a clone of MCE IR receiver. Sorry there was a typo in my previous post. The correct PUC to use is "Microsoft MCE 1039".

This one is compatible with MCE IR receivers. XBOX didn't work for me. 1039 is available since spring 2012.

hfat

LarsJensen
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Bronze Member

alfio:

Hi Lars

just for further clarification. The Video useful for distribution shall necessary connected to a SCART ( AV1, AV2 and AV4) or I can also use  AV3 ( Pr, Pb, Y or  Video ) ?

Regards

Hi
Must admit I have no idea how the BV8 works but my guess is you must use SCART. I don’t thing Pr, Pb, Y will work.
And on the HDMI to SCART subject I think your right. If you can get a HMDI splitter and a HDMI to SCART converter it would be better and save you a lot of trouble if you could avoid dual screen.
Good luck and let us know how you get it to work.
Regards,
Lars

hfat
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 663
Bronze Member
hfat replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 5:39 PM

LarsJensen:
it would be better and save you a lot of trouble if you could avoid dual screen.

I agree to Lars, I formerly had a dual screen solution with a lot of scripting to switch screens by Beo4. Now I use only HDMI  ouptput and convert to SCART with this converter: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B002CBN81S/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

hfat

alfio
Not Ranked
Posts 59
Bronze Member
alfio replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 6:47 PM

This may explain why they did not have it in their database when they come at home to amongst other things to update the list.

Nevertheless I am still waiting this FLIRC and I let you know my experience. Do you know if there is a way to update the list without the need to call the dealer ?

alfio
Not Ranked
Posts 59
Bronze Member
alfio replied on Tue, Oct 23 2012 8:51 PM

Hi  

today I installed this device called FLIRC on my HTPC. I connected the PUC IR terminal to it  and in few minutes I did all teh programming with the BEO4.

The system was set to emulated the XBOX. 

It was extremely smooth but I did only the minimal set up ( arrows, Enter and Back) . 
Tomorrow I will test the extended one.

I am still waiting the HDMI To AV converter to test the Beolink distribution with SD signal from the HTPC

Regards

LarsJensen
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Bronze Member
LarsJensen replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 11:41 AM

Keep us posted on the HDMI converter and the picture quality.

/Lars

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS