Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 1202 will only play 45rpm not 33rpm why is this and how do i fix it?

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Bob Marley
Not Ranked
Posts 71
Bronze Member
Bob Marley Posted: Sun, May 20 2018 7:32 AM

How do I fix this?

I have moderate repair skills can unscrew open up and use solder line, can change components, belts, bulbs etc

ProGram
Top 200 Contributor
59269 Beckum, Germany
Posts 383
Bronze Member
ProGram replied on Sun, May 20 2018 9:44 AM

For changing the speed, the idler wheel has to move on its shaft. There is a lifting arm, that might be worn out at the tip.

Chris

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, May 20 2018 9:46 AM

Seized or badly adjusted speed change mechs.
Missing part in mech.
Incorrect belt.
Any combination of the above. 

Not a lot of electronics in there. It's all mechanical.

Martin 

Bob Marley
Not Ranked
Posts 71
Bronze Member

I'm good at mechanical stuff but what is a mech?

Bob Marley
Not Ranked
Posts 71
Bronze Member

Mech - mechanism?

Shall I open it up and post a photo?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, May 20 2018 2:26 PM

G7Trader:

I'm good at mechanical stuff but what is a mech?

Mech=mechanism = mechanicals.
The parts that together makes a more complex machinery work by performing each their small function.

Martin

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, May 20 2018 2:29 PM

We can't see if something has seized or not by looking at a photo.

But it's not THAT complex.
Watch what happens when you change the speed.
The idler wheel is supposed to jump up and down the steps on the motor bushing.

I'm sure, that you can see how it's supposed to work and why right now it doesn't.

Martin

Bob Marley
Not Ranked
Posts 71
Bronze Member
Bob Marley replied on Mon, May 21 2018 12:15 AM

Is it safe to open the top cover plug into mains then press the buttons and see which one is not moving correctly?

Is the voltage on those boards above 24V?

If my hand slips and i touch an electrical board will i die? Lolz

I seen guys open up their stuff and connect to mains on youtube I'm getting more skilled and moving in this direction.....

Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 182
Bronze Member
Calvin replied on Mon, May 21 2018 12:45 AM

Well all electronics is safe to operate when it's open - as long as you keep your hands well away when it's turned on! Seriously though, if you're watching mechanical bits of a hifi moving there's little reason to be touching it anyway. Turn it on at the mains, press play, see what it does, watch it fail and turn it off before you touch it again. If you're that concerned maybe wear some gloves or film it on a phone for reviewing again afterwards.

I'm always way more concerned with the low-voltage level chip based electronics, the thought that I could get a static charge from the carpet and fry something accidentally is way more concerning than a moderate level shock from a capacitor discharging on me!

What got me way more confident about running open systems was laptops. It's such a pain to close them up that if you're fixing/replacing something it's easier to just become comfortable with turning them on when they're naked than spending 10 minutes reassembling it, only to maybe have to take everything apart again if you've not plugged a cable in properly.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, May 21 2018 6:08 AM

You cannot take off the top cover. Beogram 1202 has all the business going on on its top so the majority of serviced is done from below.
This makes it a bit akward to watch what happens backstage, because it will only function correctly in normal position, horizontal or at least close to horizontal , but raise it up on two thick pieces of wood, stacks of large books or similar and look in from below.

There are no circuit boards inside. There are no electronics to speak off. A simple diode and a capacitor, that you cannot touch because they sit inside the start relay.

There are no low-voltage parts. No transformer. Not even a fuse!
It's all mechanical. 

I understand that you haven't already opened it and looked inside.
But why. now that you are so worried, haven't you googled the model to see what it looks like below decks?

- Or just looked around at Beoworld:
https://archivedarchivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/41665.aspx

Martin

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, May 21 2018 8:02 AM

Hi,

I like to observe how the pulley/belt work from the top too.

I remove the platter and use five D-type big batteries instead to compensate. Don’t try to make the Beogram work without its platter : the belt will slip.

Jacques

Meesterkerel
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member

Hello,

I came across the same issue with my Beogram 1202. I'm not skilled in lots of repairing but I did found out what the issue was in my case.

You can see the cog (idler wheel) with the rubber band sitting agains this gold plated pin (stepped pulley screw?) on the left. The pin is being turned around by the motor, but somehow the cog won't turn when it's against it in 33rpm mode, but it does turn in 45rpm mode. Maybe it needs a new rubber band? Or at least find a way to get him to sit tighter against the pin, and keeping it that way even when I change speeds. I'm not sure yet on how, but when I find a fix I'll post it here.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS