Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Re-Covering the material on beolab 8000 frets

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 3 Followers

Ronnie
Top 500 Contributor
Milton Keynes, UK
Posts 110
Bronze Member
Ronnie Posted: Mon, Oct 22 2012 10:45 PM

Hello there, 

i have a pair of beolab 8000s that need new material on the frets, i've heard that they aren't the same as the material used on the 6000s and other beolabs, so could anyone point me in the right direction of some suitable material to recover them.

Would be much appreciatedSmile

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 10:57 PM

Ever saw this thread?Smile

Brengen & Ophalen

Ronnie
Top 500 Contributor
Milton Keynes, UK
Posts 110
Bronze Member
Ronnie replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 11:05 PM

Leslie:

Ever saw this thread?Smile

Yes, as thats the method i've used on my 6000s (will be putting pics up soon once i've finished the decorating), but I heard that the 8000s require a different type of material.

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Tue, Oct 23 2012 9:08 PM

Why does it require a different fabric? You wanna use the exact same as the original?

Brengen & Ophalen

mayface
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Bronze Member
mayface replied on Tue, Oct 23 2012 11:05 PM
You won't be able to make a neat job of the top corners without using the thinner cloth. Also the normal speaker cloth will be too thick and not allow the frets to clip back on.
Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 7:23 PM

mayface:
You won't be able to make a neat job of the top corners without using the thinner cloth. Also the normal speaker cloth will be too thick and not allow the frets to clip back on.

That's a challenge! Hmm Whenever I have those frets in my hands I will give it a try. So if the thicknes could be an issue then why not using the fabric I've been using on my Beolabs 6000, those are pretty thin, ask the ladies?Whistle

Brengen & Ophalen

mayface
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Bronze Member
mayface replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 7:38 PM
I did try tights many years ago and they do work well. Unfortunately I think my customers especially B&O stores would raise their eye brows if their frets turned up with a pair of 40 denier tights wrapped around them!!

Also as we trim many pairs a week we have to consider the time it takes per pair to Make them cost effective, I can trim a pair in under 30 mins but we've had to make jigs up to hold them and the cloth.

BL8000s are the trickiest fret to trim in my opinion. Well to make them look like they have come straight from the factory. I'd love to know how they do them in Denmark. The machinery must be amazing!!
Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 7:44 PM

mayface:
Unfortunately I think my customers especially B&O stores would raise their eye brows if their frets turned up with a pair of 40 denier tights wrapped around them!!

Don't tell them!

mayface:
BL8000s are the trickiest fret to trim in my opinion. Well to make them look like they have come straight from the factory.

Don't we all? Ever tried to do Penta's? You think those 8000's are more difficult to handle? 

Brengen & Ophalen

mayface
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Bronze Member
mayface replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 8:16 PM
Pentas are a pain because the frames are not fixed. I made an insert that pushes into the frames and holds the tight while the cloth is stretched round. Without that they are really tricky!!! If you want to use a make shift insert a VHS cassette box is exactly the tight size!
Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 8:24 PM

mayface:
Pentas are a pain because the frames are not fixed. I made an insert that pushes into the frames and holds the tight while the cloth is stretched round. Without that they are really tricky!!! If you want to use a make shift insert a VHS cassette box is exactly the tight size!
That's a great tip, thanks!

Still I wanna know why, if you have the workmanship to do Penta's, you can't do 8000's? The shape doesn't seem that hard is it, comparing to Penta's?

Brengen & Ophalen

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 8:29 PM

By the way, I did two Beovision 3 32" frets last time for a friend of mine and it has been succesfull. And you know what, he gave me ordinary fabric for clothing which almost didn't had any stretch in it!

Brengen & Ophalen

mayface
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Bronze Member
mayface replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 8:38 PM
Too much stretch mages it hard to shrink it into internal corners. I've always found the bv3 frets to be very rewarding. The end result is easier to achieve than it should be if that makes sense.

The 8000s have many challenges. The frame can flex. The top of the fret is not that easy. With the thin cloth it's important to get the same tension down the fret or in a certain light the back sides of the frets look like they gave light patches where the cloth been slightly over stretched.

The biggest secret/tip I can give after doing frets in general is to always run the grain of the cloth across the shortest distance of the fret. As its the least stretchy in that direction and you do not have to worry about a wonky grain line down the long side of the fret and lets face it nobody likes a wonky grain line !!!!
Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 8:42 PM

mayface:
The 8000s have many challenges. The frame can flex. The top of the fret is not that easy. With the thin cloth it's important to get the same tension down the fret or in a certain light the back sides of the frets look like they gave light patches where the cloth been slightly over stretched.

That makes sense, still I'm gonna give it a try whenever I get them. Thanks mate!

Brengen & Ophalen

mayface
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Bronze Member
mayface replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 8:46 PM
I have eight pairs to do if you want to pop round!!!

Cheers,

Darren.
Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 8:52 PM

You must be kidding? Got other priorities then doing Beolabs 8000's...

I will show the results whenever I did those!

Brengen & Ophalen

mayface
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Bronze Member
mayface replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 8:59 PM
Yep only kidding. Good luck with the frets!
Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 9:05 PM

Thanks!

Brengen & Ophalen

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS