Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Speakers foam tape replacement

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Johan
Top 500 Contributor
Uppsala, Sweden
Posts 239
Silver Member
Johan Posted: Thu, Oct 25 2012 11:40 AM

Hi everyone,

I have a number of speakers (RL60, BL3000 and a couple of Pentas Mk I). They all have this grey foam tape sealing where two parts of the cabinet join. This is now old and brittle and I'd like to replace it.

What are you guys using as replacement?

Thanks!

/  Johan

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member

Well, you're in Sweden, so this may not be your solution.  I used this from Meniscus to change the gasket material of a pair of Beovox M70s.  Meniscus is in Michigan, United States.  Sold by the foot (12 cents per foot).

Johan
Top 500 Contributor
Uppsala, Sweden
Posts 239
Silver Member
Johan replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 9:42 AM

Ok. At least I have something to google for.

Thanks!

/  Johan

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 6:02 PM

Try looking for something like this at a DIY store.

Michael Sean
Not Ranked
Lowell, Massachusetts, USA
Posts 31
Bronze Member

Hi:

A few years back, I installed new drivers in my BeoLab 6000's which I purchased from my local B&O parts supplier (Atlantic Systems - Hanover, MA USA).

I made sure to order along with the drivers (which are mounted in plastic frames) new baffle foam blocks but failed to purchase the B&O self-stick foam for the perimeter seals.

As such, I first went out and purchased high density / closed-cell self-stick weather strip foam from my local hardware store. I found that this foam (black if I remember) was a lot like neoprene and had just too much push-back. I decided not to use it as I felt that it required far too much screw pressure on the plastic flange. And seeing as the screws were being screwed into plastic, my fear was that over time, the flange could break at the screw area. I also could not get it to squeeze down tight enough.

I then inspected the original B&O foam tape and noted that it was an "open-cell" foam and that is what I set out to find. Although not as commonly available in hardware stores, after much local searching, I found one with a density similar to the original and of the correct thickness and width. It worked perfectly, although I do believe that it was white in color. No big deal though as it cannot be seen.

If I can offer any advice, I'd always go with low density, open-celled foam for anything that I have to screw down as a "foam-seal-sandwich".

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS