Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 5005 tonearm height not consistent

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

halkyardo
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
halkyardo Posted: Wed, Oct 31 2012 11:59 PM

I've just picked up a Beogram 5005 with a minor issue, and I'd appreciate some advice on how to go about fixing it up.

When playing a 12" record, the tonearm tracks to the right spot, and lowers, but stops just short of the record surface. If I move the tonearm 1cm or so inward, it makes contact and will play just fine all the way to the end, as with 7" records.

I do have a copy of the service manual, but I'm not entirely sure which adjustment I should be looking at. If it were slightly too high across the whole record, I presume that tweaking the tonearm height down would solve it. But the fact that it doesn't seem to be quite parallel to the record surface makes me think that something else might be at play.

I'm new to tangential Beograms, but I've fixed up a few radial turntables of both B&O and other makes. Any pointers?

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:30 AM

I would check if guides where tone arm assy glides are on their position, they might "pop up" from other end if player were transported.

blah-blah and photographs as needed

halkyardo
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member

You were exactly right! The front guide had popped out of its retainer on the outside. Pushed it back into place, and everything works perfectly.

I like how those sets come apart, with the hinge at the side. It's nice to work on something that, for a change, was actually designed to be opened up!

Something else, that I'm curious about, is getting Datalink to work. As is so often the case (at least for me!), a previous owner has removed the extra pins from the DIN connector. Since I presume that the original part is hard to find, is there any way that I can make do? I notice that the schematic indicates that only one of the extra pins is connected - would it be sufficient to borrow one pin from another piece of equipment? Alternatively, if anybody knows the thread size, I suppose that would be another avenue to explore...

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

halkyardo:
would it be sufficient to borrow one pin from another piece of equipment? Alternatively, if anybody knows the thread size, I suppose that would be another avenue to explore...

One pin is enough, and I have here some extra pins, as I made some new 7 pin plugs, but I´m in Mexico, so if you can find someone near you it would be easier, the thread is same as the pin D,

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS