Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BL 5000 Classic Mexico

rated by 0 users
This post has 46 Replies | 2 Followers

RaMaBo
Top 150 Contributor
near Munich
Posts 626
Gold Member
RaMaBo replied on Sun, Jul 22 2018 8:57 PM

Hi Soren,

the scope pics look fine considering the wrong set level trimmers Stick out tongue

On the Signal Generator better set the Offset from + 1.0 V to +0.0V. This way there's just the generated frequency if you connect the FG085 output to a point in your circuit. The offset Voltage is added  to the 'center voltage' of your signal . This might shift levels within the amplifier.

Example:  Frequency sine wave, Voltage 2,000V, Offset +3.0V  results in a sine wave which swings from +2 V up to +4V !  The Offset shifts the frequency voltage swing  up or down! If you inject this signal into your amplifier the working point of the amp may be shifted dramatically.

If the signal is injected via the input connector(s) there are normally capacitors to protect the amplifier from DC Voltages but as stated before connecting the signal somewhere else it might get harmful.

The offset function is rarely used.

Ralph-Marcus

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Thanks Ralph, will go back to this one in September, as of now it is happy playing in my living room, levels adjusted according to manual Laughing

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Now playing for about 50 hours, mixed tuner, phono and tape (input from TV) no problems what so ever

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Tue, Jul 24 2018 11:33 PM

That's what I call a good burn-in test. Nice job as always Søren.

-John

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
Posts 1,249
Bronze Member

Nice job, Soren.

To tell the truth, I have never progressed from my old Tektronix Analog scope, to these new do-everything digital scopes. It would just intimidate me , and I'd probably throw up my hands in disgust.

I have NO idea what that Offset function is, and I'm glad I don't have those complicated things in my scope, to make me feel like a complete ignoramus ;-)

So, I guess that gives me a special incentive to keep my old scope operating at top condition, long after the majority of these have unfortunately been thrown out to the recyclers.

Menahem

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Menahem Yachad:
I have NO idea what that Offset function is, and I'm glad I don't have those complicated things in my scope, to make me feel like a complete ignoramus ;-)

I bought this scope as I was at  give it up on my first BL 5000, after several hours on the web and reading the manual I could use it to find failures, before that i used about 30 hours for fault finding, to no avail, with the scope I located the failure within 1 hour including time to set up the scope for the first time, for an amateur like me its a cheap solution, a professional scope I would never buy for a hobby like this. For my daily work I dont hesitate buying the most advanced quality tools available, I even buy to of a kind of the most important ones, if one should fail.

The China made scope gives me the possibility to learn something new, just to keep my old brain activated, and i still have a lot to learn about using it.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Wrote a long answer to Menahem, its up for moderation

Page 2 of 2 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS