Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

CDM12 IND Reads CDs sometimes

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

delroy
Not Ranked
Posts 43
Bronze Member
delroy Posted: Thu, Jun 28 2018 8:03 AM

I have a Beocenter 9300 with a CDM12 IND which sometimes can't find focus (Laser tries to find focus and the motor doesn't turn) I can see the red laser light. But after a few tries it does work and plays the CD just fine and continues to play fine even when changing CDS. It's almost like it needs to warm up before it will work. Does anybody know if this could be laser related or capacitor related (I am able to replace both but I would like to know which is more likely to be at fault)?

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Thu, Jun 28 2018 8:42 AM

delroy:

I have a Beocenter 9300 with a CDM12 IND which sometimes can't find focus (Laser tries to find focus and the motor doesn't turn) I can see the red laser light. But after a few tries it does work and plays the CD just fine and continues to play fine even when changing CDS. It's almost like it needs to warm up before it will work. Does anybody know if this could be laser related or capacitor related (I am able to replace both but I would like to know which is more likely to be at fault)?

It needs a new laser.

You can use CDM 12.4 lasers.

/Jacob

TheTinman
Not Ranked
Posts 30
Bronze Member

Well, it doesn't ALWAYS need a new laser.  WHEN it works, try a CDR.  If it pays it fine, the laser is usually ok.  Check the surface mount capacitors on the board.

I have had a mixed bag of these, some had leaking capacitors, others were fine and needed a laser.

Either way, not hard to repair.

Peter
Top 500 Contributor
Siemianowice Sl., Poland
Posts 111
Bronze Member
Peter replied on Wed, Jul 4 2018 12:57 PM

I have BS9000 and have the same problem with warming up. I have replaced a laser but the new one ( it was working in another CD player) has to warm up as well. I have "reironed" the old laser and it works OK but in that "another CD". I didn't put it back to BS9000 so I don't really know if it is a laser fault or capcitors fault, however on the PCB responsible for laser reception it's hard to see a capacitor needing replacement

TheTinman
Not Ranked
Posts 30
Bronze Member
TheTinman replied on Mon, Jul 9 2018 10:54 PM

It is common for the few aluminum electrolytic surface mount capacitors to go bad.

These type of capacitors are well known to be troublesome. 

The "warm up" is usually a clue, as they tend to recover some functionality as the heat up.

Hey, a few caps are cheap.

Peter
Top 500 Contributor
Siemianowice Sl., Poland
Posts 111
Bronze Member
Peter replied on Tue, Jul 10 2018 1:46 PM

For BS9000 there are:

7 pcs of 3,3uF 16V 20%
1 pc of 2,2 uF 10V 10%
1 pc of 1 uF 16V 10%
1 pc of 47 uF 10 V 20% tantal
3 pcs of 47 uF 10 V 20% ( don't know if they are the same as above)

Which ones do you consider as troublesome ?

TheTinman
Not Ranked
Posts 30
Bronze Member
TheTinman replied on Wed, Jul 11 2018 1:46 AM

Been covered before:  https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/members/Orava/files/cdm12ind.jpg.aspx

Hope this helps.  It's always worth a shot first, as ORIGINAL lasers or one's that actually work properly are hard to come by.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS