Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beocord 9000 won't stop calibrating

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

goodrat
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
goodrat Posted: Tue, Jul 17 2018 12:04 AM

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Beocord 9000 cassette deck. All of the functions seem to work properly except for the auto calibration. I say "seem" to work because I'm waiting for the arrival of a Din to RCA adapter wire I ordered. So all of the listing I have done is via the headphone jack. The problem I am having is even with a brand new tape, when I try to auto calibrate the machine starts the calibration process but never stops. If I listen to the tape afterwards I can hear the tones but only in the left channel. Almost nothing in the right. Anyone have any idea of what the problem could be? I'm thinking maybe a capacitor is bad somewhere. Maybe some idea of where to look.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Goodrat

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Jul 17 2018 7:14 AM

Put a scope to the record signal path and see, where the signal gets lost.
If your deck has the switch at the bottom plate, give it a shot of contact cleaner (NOT WD40 or such nasties) and exersize it a bit.

Also check that the bottom plate is fitted and properly grounded.

Martin

goodrat
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
goodrat replied on Tue, Jul 17 2018 2:26 PM

Hi Martin,

Thank you very much for taking the time. I only have a partial owners manual and was not aware of the switch on the bottom plate. After cleaning this switch the machine now records tones in both channels. Thanks. Unfortunately it didn't solve the auto calibration problem. So here is the situation with a little more detail. When trying to auto calibrate the "Record Cal" and the "Record" lights on the front panel flash. But the auto calibration never stops. I have tried several different tapes with the same result. I have cleaned the heads properly. When I listen to the tape afterwards I can hear a single recorded tone repeated in both channels (Both channels now recording after switch cleaning). Are there supposed to be a few different tones? Or just one tone recorded? Any further thoughts on where the problem might be?

Also if you don't mind, A couple more questions.

The partial manual I have doesn't mention the switch on the bottom. What does this switch do? Is it just for recording gain? Where should it be set? The switch says Din and Line.

One of the lights in the machines meters is out or not lighting. Do you know if this is an easy fix or does the entire meter need to be replaced?

Thank you so much for your time and help. It is greatly appreciated.

Goodrat

goodrat
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
goodrat replied on Tue, Jul 17 2018 5:30 PM

Sorry spoke to soon. The right channel went out again. More cleaning of the switch has no effect. Also I made a din to rca cable to try out recording. Trying to record from the DIN on the back does not work. No signal either channel. So I switch to the DIN on the front. If I put the switch on MIC then I get a recording in the left channel only. If I put the switch on AUX I get nothing.

Thanks again for any help.

Goodrat

jonbawn
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
jonbawn replied on Thu, Oct 4 2018 5:03 PM

Hi Martin,

I have this exact same problem with my Beocord 9000 now it is fresh back from a complete overhaul! 

All functions do seem to work great, apart from calibration sequence never ends... Can that be caused by bad grounding etc?

Cheers,

Jon

jonbawn
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
jonbawn replied on Thu, Oct 4 2018 5:05 PM

Hi Goodrat,

I wonder, did you ever fix your never ending calibration issue? I have exact same thing with mine, even though it's just back from a full professional service.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Jon

goodrat
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
goodrat replied on Thu, Oct 4 2018 7:52 PM

Hi Jim,

I'm sorry but I never figured out what was wrong. I am just using it for playback and it sounds great. Hopefully someone here will reply with more suggestions. I would love to get mine working as well.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Goodrat

chilibt
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
chilibt replied on Sat, May 22 2021 9:49 PM

Hi,  I have the same constant cal occurring with my Beocord 9000.  Did anyone figure out the problem?

Thanks, Terry 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS