Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Mr Roasts BG4000

rated by 0 users
This post has 95 Replies | 2 Followers

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig Posted: Mon, Jul 30 2018 7:28 PM

Having finally completed the replacement of the body panels of my 17yr old BMW Z3 I can get back to doing the things I enjoy more.....Mr Roast dropped this off

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Dave has asked me to do a recap, I will get in touch with Beolover for some of his shapeways laser printed parts, I will enquire about replacing the relay and the lamps too while it is dismantled,

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Jul 30 2018 9:55 PM

Great project!

I see that the carriage pulley has already been replaced. Good!

The hardest part for me was setting up the suspension. I think I still have to find how to do it properly. No matter what I do, the platter will always sit below the top panel’s surface.

Mmm.

Jacques

MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 340
Bronze Member
MrRoast replied on Tue, Jul 31 2018 12:15 AM
And so it begins! Big Smile

Craig, besides NZ Sauvignon is there anything else you’re partial to? A single malt or something else perhaps?
ProGram
Top 200 Contributor
59269 Beckum, Germany
Posts 383
Bronze Member
ProGram replied on Tue, Jul 31 2018 8:18 AM
Hi Jacques,

It is not the suspension, it is the subchassis itself. The material deformed over the decades. Now the heavy platter hangs lower than the rest. When you try to align the platter with the cabinet by the springs, the rest will bump from the underside. And when you screw up the platter bearing, the tonearm rails will be too low. I thought of taking the subchassis out and try to bend it back, but never came to that point.

Chris
Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Tue, Jul 31 2018 7:03 PM

Dave

Sauvignon is our poison of choice, we have several bottles of single malts that have accumulated over Christmas and birthdays etc....and although very nice we prefer more refreshing tipple ;¬)

MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 340
Bronze Member
MrRoast replied on Tue, Jul 31 2018 10:52 PM
I shall search for something special!
chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Wed, Aug 1 2018 2:28 PM

ProGram:
Hi Jacques,

It is not the suspension, it is the subchassis itself. The material deformed over the decades. Now the heavy platter hangs lower than the rest. When you try to align the platter with the cabinet by the springs, the rest will bump from the underside. And when you screw up the platter bearing, the tonearm rails will be too low. I thought of taking the subchassis out and try to bend it back, but never came to that point.

Chris

Interesting! I had never thought of that.

Jacques

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
Posts 1,249
Bronze Member

Craig

Working on this BG is like taking a paid holiday.

I ALWAYS enjoy it, even when unexpected glitches crop up.

Menahem

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Menahem....I agree, its very therapeutic.....I don't want too many glitches popping up however ;¬)

thought it wise to remove the stylus before commencing any activities

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

I have a shipment of parts on order from Rudi, shapeways parts...miniature relay, LED lamp replacements and so forth....so whilst I'm waiting I decided to take a look at the carriage transport switches, easy start. 

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

When I removed them I found they are in exceptionally good condition, I was rather looking forward to gold plating them, I bought a kit of ebay thinking to do my BM6000 (both of them), looks quite easy to do and the kit was quite cheep to, don't see the point in disturbing these just to satisfy my curiosity so will put them back as is...……... 

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Aug 4 2018 3:39 PM

Wow, I’ve never seen that before ! Very nicely preserved example.

Jacques

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member

Good timing Craig,

I'm mentally preparing myself for restoring my 4002... 

Popcorn time :-)

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Moving on to the control panel the switch contacts are not as well preserved.....

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

As I know Rudi may be looking in on this from time to time (his package of shapeway parts,LED's and relay are now in the post) these will have to come out.....they are held in with quite a large amount of solder.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Rightly or wrongly I decided the best way to get them out was to apply the soldering iron and use my solder sucker to remove all the excess solder, then nit the sides together and pop them out.....worked fine, as can be seen quite a lot of solder needs to be sucked out.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Flip side of the board....have to say this machine is very clean.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Next will be an attempt to gold plate the contacts, they will require a clean up with 2000 grit emery first as they are a little tarnished.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

First one cleaned up, de greased and acid pickled followed by the actual electro plating, whole thing took around 30 mins.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

It's difficult to decide how long to keep the piece in the solution as I'm not sure how thick the plating needs to be, I have a vague memory of relay contacts being flashed with noble metals to ensure longer life, but I have no idea how many microns thick that would be.....so im going for a nice looking finish!

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

And another pic of the first one alongside its peers...…..

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member
Beo_Jean replied on Mon, Aug 6 2018 10:53 PM

OK, this is serious work now! Thumbs Up

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Finished up the gold plating....looks better and should prevent the contacts tarnishing for some time.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Wed, Aug 8 2018 6:30 AM

Nice! Can you PM me the link to where you purchased your plating kit?

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Wed, Aug 8 2018 7:24 AM

Sure....was an ebay purchase, quite good too complete with lots of information and a blow by blow description of how to carry out both pen plating and tank plating.....I did a bit of both, or rather a combination of both, just to get a feel for it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gold-Brush-Plating-kit-for-Jewellery-and-antique-repairs-Gold-Plating-Kit-x/253328481919?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Wed, Aug 8 2018 5:02 PM

Great. Thanks for the information. 

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Awaiting Rudi's package before I progress.....

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Thu, Aug 9 2018 6:09 AM

Not quite convinced that I understand the function of the lamp that's sitting on 1PC.....I've had a look at the circuit diagram but it's not obvious, and more importantly should it be replaced? Martin......I'm looking at you ;¬)

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Thu, Aug 9 2018 6:27 AM

I didn't replace it on my two Beogram 4000 turntables. The Beogram 4000 power supply takes AC from the mains transformer and converts it to DC voltages for the Beogram control circuitry. The platter motor is AC though so the Beogram 4000 has a circuit that generates the correct AC signal for 33 1/3 RPM and 45 RPM. The Beogram 4000 uses a Schmitt trigger in that circuit to generate that AC motor drive signal. The incandescent lamp is used by that trigger circuit. 

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Aug 9 2018 7:01 AM

The lamp is part of a Wien-bridge type oscillator, where its special resistance properties (varying with the current flow and filament temp.) are used, rather than its ability to light up.
It doesn't really wear and there's usually no need to replace it.

Martin

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Thu, Aug 9 2018 7:42 AM

Wien-bridge...that is the name I couldn't remember. I had Schmitt trigger stuck in my head for some reason.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Thu, Aug 9 2018 7:55 AM

I knew it had to be something cunning from the B&O boys.....talk about lateral thinking! will take a closer look

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Thu, Aug 9 2018 10:16 AM

Here is a quick video of the function of the light bulb in an oscillator circuit.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Rudi's shapeway hardware has arrived, he even included the capacitors...…...

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Keypad complete and can be re assembled....

MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 340
Bronze Member
MrRoast replied on Sun, Aug 12 2018 3:52 PM

Looking good Craig! Just back from a week in sunny Norfolk and excited to see the progress!

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sun, Aug 12 2018 10:23 PM

Those gold plated switch contacts really stand out don't they. Great job.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Annoyingly on re assembly I discovered that not all the switches where operating crisply, this was also experienced by Rudi on one of his many exercises...Rudi identifies this as a design fault, it may be down to wear over the years...however I have resolved the problem in the same way, a blob of epoxy resin to build up the plastic spigots causing the grief...….. 

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

While waiting for the epoxy to go off fully I have made a start on the main PCB.....new relay fitted and the big electrolytic capacitors replaced, tantals next up along with the 33 & 45 rpm trimmers. But for now a glass of wine is called for ;¬)

Page 1 of 3 (96 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS