Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

How many Beolabs can you daisy chain

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Howzit
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 94
Bronze Member
Howzit Posted: Tue, Aug 7 2018 12:20 AM

Iv tried searching, and no mention of it in the manuals, but i have what maybe a bit of an odd question;

Iv noticed that a lot of people use a Y splitter for connection Beolab 8000s, if not coming out as separate channels from a source, or Beolab subwoofer.

Most of the rest of the Beolab speakers have two PL sockets, allowing for daisy chaining.

My question is; how many speakers in Stereo can you daisy chain? Is it theoretically an indefinite amount, just choosing L or R channel as you go along, or is there a limitation to daisy chaining?

Secondly, how many times can you Y split (not daisy chain) a PL line, effectively daisy chaining?

(And a bit of fun on the side, and out of curiosity, who has a large number of daisy chained speakers around here?)

Chris

Beolab 9 | Beolab 8000 | Beolab 6000 | Beolab 2 | Beolab 3 | Beosound 9000 | Beoplay A9 | Beomaster 8000 | Beovox M75, / S75, / S45.2 

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Chris,

I don't think there is a definitive answer, someone at B&O did mention 16 speakers as the practical limit to me years ago (but I haven't tested this).  Cable length would also affect this.  In practice, you can certainly use 8 speakers together on a stereo output without any loss of volume or sound quality, I know of several customers who have setups like this in larger rooms.

With decent cabling, you can have as many Y splitters as you wish without any issues, although I would suggest keeping the total cable length to the furthest speakers below 50 metres as a maximum.  Y splitters can help to reduce signal loss in very large setups like this, by reducing the length of the longest part of the daisy-chain.

I would be interested to hear in anyone has more than 8 Beolab speakers connected to a single stereo system?

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS