Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

B&O wants to know how you feel about ToneTouch

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Shiran
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
Shiran Posted: Wed, Aug 15 2018 2:05 PM

As part of the UX team at B&O, I’m exploring the area of sound adjustments and would like to talk to people who use ToneTouch on the B&O app as well as people who have tried ToneTouch and stopped. 

If you are interested in taking part in a 1-on-1 skype conversation please contact me at: 
smo@bang-olufsen.dk

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Aug 15 2018 2:25 PM
Shiran:

As part of the UX team at B&O, I’m exploring the area of sound adjustments and would like to talk to people who use ToneTouch on the B&O app as well as people who have tried ToneTouch and stopped.

If you are interested in taking part in a 1-on-1 skype conversation please contact me at: smo@bang-olufsen.dk

I don’t use it because I cannot find it on the B&O App.

BeoNut since '75

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Wed, Aug 15 2018 3:47 PM
elephant:

I don’t use it because I cannot find it on the B&O App. BeoNut since '75

It only appear for the devices that support tone touch, like M3, M5, P2 etc

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Wed, Aug 15 2018 10:16 PM

I've never bothered with tone touch.

If you have input into the user experience, though, I WOULD like to suggest offering a setting to adjust and save the TuneIn volume level relative to other sources so that it can be more like the rest of the sources. It's horribly irritating to need to adjust the volume every time TuneIn is used. It's so loud!

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Add a graphic equaliser function, and you’ve got me.

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Shiran
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
Shiran replied on Thu, Aug 16 2018 8:07 AM

Thanks for the feedback! I would be very interested to know why, so please contact at smo@bang-olufsen.dk if you are up for a chat Wink

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Is tone touch that slider that you go between bright etc ?
Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Aug 17 2018 2:51 PM
Aussie Michael:

Is tone touch that slider that you go between bright etc ?

Yep

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Hiort:

Yep

Thanks.

Myers I use that. And also the pinch to expand the dot. It’s a more graphical graphic equaliser
oliverpolden
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member

I think it’s ok. It’s a nicer experience than using a standard equaliser but it would still be nice to have the option of an equaliser. Also, I’m not sure which is which, I think it’s the beoplay app which is being deprecated by the Band and Olufsen app. Functionality seems pretty much identical however the sound stage control seems to not be there. I had the sound stage set larger by increasing the dot on the Beoplay app. When using the bang and olufsen app the dot was initially larger but I couldn’t change it. I switched to a preset which reset the dot to small but I couldn’t increase the size of the dot to increase the soundstage. Was this a conscious removal or is this a bug? It might be nice to see how tone touch changes the frequency response, perhaps a watermark or background behind the quadrants would be nice or a mini graph above or below.

The first product I bought was an A1. I was just happy to set and forget with touch tone because I only used it for listening to music and movies. I’ve recently bought a pair of E8s and find I do want to change the setting depending on whether I’m listening to music or a podcast/audiobook.

I’ve also used the watch app, is that disappearing too? On that there was the ability to change the tone touch preset which is fine but it had no volume control which I think is a serious oversight. If I have the speaker connected to a streaming stick, the only way to control the volume is on the speaker itself or from within the app. Since there is no volume control on the watch app, you have to get your phone out. It would be way more convenient to be able to change it using the crown of the watch.

As you’re asking about user experience more than features, I’m glad the good awful volume control from the Beoplay app is different in the Bang and Olufsen app. I personally think a vertical volume slider would be better for larger speakers so you have finer control of the volume, or potentially a relative circular control i.e. A full turn isn’t 100% but maybe something like 30%. This still gives you fine control and keeps the volume control more compact. I actually really love the app for teenage engineering’s OD11. They give you a huge circle that is the full width of the screen for volume control and mimics the volume control on an amp. Since the primary control needed on a speaker is to control the volume I actually don’t think that the decision to make the volume control so large was a silly one, it almost makes the app and volume control feel more intimate, substantial and premium and moves away from a fiddly child like control. Of course, other controls that aren’t used as frequently can easily be accessed.

tph
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 161
Bronze Member
tph replied on Sat, Mar 2 2019 8:35 PM

oliverpolden:

Functionality seems pretty much identical however the sound stage control seems to not be there. I had the sound stage set larger by increasing the dot on the Beoplay app. When using the bang and olufsen app the dot was initially larger but I couldn’t change it. I switched to a preset which reset the dot to small but I couldn’t increase the size of the dot to increase the soundstage. Was this a conscious removal or is this a bug?

Which product are you seeing this with? The ability to add ambience to the sound (by enlarging the blob) was removed for headphones, because they are always stereo and thus offer the full sound stage anyway. I believe you should still be able to do this with speakers, though.

— Tuomas | Bang & Olufsen | Bang & Olufsen Create

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sun, Mar 3 2019 12:47 PM
tph:

I believe you should still be able to do this with speakers, though.

Yes, on the tonetouch enabled speakers you still can do that.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS