Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Priority Order of importance in 7.1 set up - Surround vs Back Surround

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Howzit
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 94
Bronze Member
Howzit Posted: Thu, Aug 16 2018 9:42 AM
So Iv been researching about getting a good 7.1 setup.

In which priority order would you consider the Surround L/R vs the Back Surround? From what I have seen, it looks like Surround L/R over back.

However, forum discussions quickly end up on Front L/R vs Center, so I will preemptively put a debate on that too.... For movies, apparently 80% of audio comes from the Center. I saw though, that some people argue Front L/R make more of a difference, should one like to play music too. We have seen this argument before, but here is the twist. Some people suggested and swear by NO Center channel at all, but rather, much higher end Front L/R, (like BL 90 or BL50, or BL5) that would then play a phantom center, better than a regular center could. Surely a pair of BL8000+BL2 or BL9, sound better than a single BL7-4, even if they are running it as phantom? I mean, the BL7-4 only has one small driver and tweeter... and thus, possibly why a set of BL4000 is a popular choice for Center, since it’s 2 drivers and two tweeters vs 1 driver and 1 tweeter?

So this got me wondering, for us less fortunate, can we run a BL9, or BL8000 (running through a BL2), with no center, (running phantom center) do better, than say, a Front L/R BL6000 with a BL7.4 Center setup?

The main question still remains however, any thoughts on Surround vs Back Surrounds priority?

Regards

Chris

Beolab 9 | Beolab 8000 | Beolab 6000 | Beolab 2 | Beolab 3 | Beosound 9000 | Beoplay A9 | Beomaster 8000 | Beovox M75, / S75, / S45.2 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Howzit:
So Iv been researching about getting a good 7.1 setup.

The main question still remains however, any thoughts on Surround vs Back Surrounds priority?

That should be an easy one.

The 7’s/the backs stands for the extra 2 speakers added to the 5.1 setup.

Since relatively few recordings are available in 7.1, the 5’s/the surrounds are priority.

However, if you watch material with 7.1 channel sound, you should have equal speakers for surrounds and rears...when possible.

And, if your sound processor (like the one in the BSys4-based units) are good at upmixing 5.1 to 7.1,

it is not a bad thought to consider adding the last two speakers - again some, that are equal to the surrounds.

As with all things concerning speakers, the room and the placement of the speakers are important parts of getting it right.

Note: there is no 7.1 (or 5.1 for that matter) without a center channel - ottherweise it would be 6.1 ;-)))

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Howzit
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 94
Bronze Member
Howzit replied on Thu, Aug 16 2018 9:43 PM

Ok, that makes sense, that in a 7.1 setup, that they essentially both play a role enough to warrant them both being at an almost equal priority.

I will be using BL8000 for surround, and BL6000 for rears. I was wondering weather I should upgrade the rears to be BL8000 as well.... this is where the question originated for me. I was wondering, because as you mentioned, not too much material is available in 7.1 outside of Bluray, or particularly with TV shows, albeit it is increasing in popularity; although the wave of soundbars makes me think if it really is.

I suppose a more specific question is, would it be a good idea to upgrade the rear BL6000 to BL8000? Or at that point, is it good enough?

Beolab 9 | Beolab 8000 | Beolab 6000 | Beolab 2 | Beolab 3 | Beosound 9000 | Beoplay A9 | Beomaster 8000 | Beovox M75, / S75, / S45.2 

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Aug 16 2018 11:04 PM
Howzit:

I was wondering, because as you mentioned, not too much material is available in 7.1 outside of Bluray, or particularly with TV shows, albeit it is increasing in popularity; although the wave of soundbars makes me think if it really is.

I found this interesting https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Atmos

Note that Apple’s ATV upgrade of its software is already out in public beta, the release will happen this year. Apple is already posting ATMOS content in its store. And there may be new ATV to provide further enhancements.

And remember that B&O has its IFA Berlin announcement soon ... and read Geoff Martin’s article and cross your fingers 🤞

http://www.tonmeister.ca/wordpress/2017/09/15/bo-tech-its-not-just-a-soundbar/

So I live in hope Smile

BeoNut since '75

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

I’d be very surprised, if we would see anything Atmos from B&O there.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS