Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Transformer Spec for BG 4000

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Facel
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 94
Bronze Member
Facel Posted: Tue, Aug 21 2018 4:00 PM

Hi Guys

I am currently trying to repair a BG 4000 (thanks to Sonavor and Beolover who gave me the faith !)

My (first) problem is related to the transformer that seems to be faulty.
One of the two 250 mA Fuse blows directly when powering On.

My country voltage is 220 V - 50Hz

I plan to buy a new toroid transformer .

Could you tell me what would be the spec of such a transformer ?

What is the solution for powering the strobe light ?

Thanks for your help

Facel
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 94
Bronze Member

I Remove the transformer to take measurements.

here are my results:

The inputs seems Ok to me, there is only the Red Output (675 Ohms) which seems to be wrong.

Facel
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 94
Bronze Member

But the wiring diagram that I deduce from my system is different than the Sonavor One  :"https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/13217/118750.aspx"

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Fri, Aug 24 2018 4:18 AM

Correct.  My drawing was for the voltage switch at the 130 VAC setting which is what I am using.  Yours is for the 220 VAC setting.

Facel
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 94
Bronze Member
Facel replied on Fri, Aug 24 2018 6:53 AM

Yes but it should be the same transformer for every voltages

I was meaning that I the 5 inputs of my transformer are not connected the same way as yours.

Your schematic has more sense to me in the way that you keep one 2 inputs Red/White (upper) separate coil and a 3 inputs coil (Lower) Yellow/Green / Black.

My schematic is using a B&O schematic on which I simply apply the cabling color effectivly present on my BG4000.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Fri, Aug 24 2018 7:24 AM

Right, your diagram is what the Beogram 4000 service manual schematic shows in the circuit.  That is the 220 VAC selection.  The voltage switch changes the connections between 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9 and 10.  I re-drew the service manual schematic with the 130 VAC connections to figure out what I should be seeing. As it turned out my transformer was bad so I had a toroid replacement made. Because I am located where line voltage is 125 VAC I didn't replace the top secondary which needs to be 220 VAC (50Hz or 60Hz) for the strobe lamp.  125 VAC, 60Hz won't drive the lamp.  I ended up making a strobe out of a rectifier and LEDs.  So no more voltage switching for my Beogram 4000. 

Facel
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 94
Bronze Member
Facel replied on Fri, Aug 24 2018 3:48 PM

For a new transformer 

- how many Ampere is necessary for the 24VAC output ?

- How many Ampere is necessary for the  6 VAC output ?

As the main power is 220V , can I connect the strobe directly on the line voltage with a fuse in between ? (what should be the amper value of the fuse ?)

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Fri, Aug 24 2018 5:16 PM

I used 1.5A RMS on the 24 VRMS secondary and 0.4A RMS on the 10VRMS secondary.

I wouldn't run the 220V primary to the strobe circuit.  Are you going to try and have the new transformer support primary voltages of different values (via the voltage selection switch) like the original?  Or are you going to make the transformer for 220V only?  If the latter then just include a 1:1 secondary for the strobe.

Facel
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 94
Bronze Member
Facel replied on Sat, Aug 25 2018 9:13 AM

I will probably go for a 220 V only transformer.

I would prefer to have a toroidal model in order to have a better audio signal without any Hum, but it will be probably diifcult to find a small one that will fit in the space, with the 3 outputs

Why is it better to get the strobe signal from a secondary 1/1 instaed of the primary ?

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sat, Aug 25 2018 3:06 PM

If you pull the strobe off the primary then you are essentially plugging the strobe directly into the wall outlet. That signal would pass through the little power supply board for the switch. It would work but I would feel better with the isolation of a secondary like the original had. I didn't find any ready made toroid transformers for my Beogram 4000 so I had a transformer company here in the USA (Toroid Corporation - www.toroid.com) design and build one to the size I needed.

Facel
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 94
Bronze Member
Facel replied on Mon, Aug 27 2018 10:26 AM

To me the 220 V through the secondary of a transformer is the same signal as the one from the wall outlet (220V - 50hz)  apart from the fuse protection that would be missing and need to be added.

I will contact Toroid corp , but I am afraid that the transportation cost could probably lead me to find an european manufacturer

BeoWaff
Not Ranked
Posts 25
Bronze Member
BeoWaff replied on Wed, Dec 5 2018 10:38 AM

I am based in Australia and need a new transformer for my Beogram 4000, I was reading through this post in regards to a toroidal transformer so that there isn't the humming sound. 

I found these guys in Australia and the transformers they have available, are any of the ones in the website below suitable for this turntable? sorry i am not really savvy when it comes to amps etc. 

https://www.tortech.com.au/category/toroidal-transformers

If not then I will have to contact them and see if they can custom make me one.

Thanks,

bulldog
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Gold Member
bulldog replied on Mon, Jan 31 2022 10:47 AM

HI Facel, did you manage to find a replacement transformer - if so where did you get it from?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS