Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BM 901 question

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

ewqers
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
ewqers Posted: Fri, Nov 16 2012 9:27 AM

Hi

Whenever I turn off my Beomaster 901 and the volume is not muted, I get a a loud cracking noise form my speakers. Is this normal?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 9:30 AM

It's normal for a Beomaster 901 in need of new capacitors and a good switch cleaning.

It will always give a (occasionally quite heavy) thump sound from the speakers when switched on and off and
when switching source but it shouldn't crackle.

Martin

ewqers
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
ewqers replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 8:31 PM

Ok. I'm considering doing a capacitor replacement, but  as i'm a real novice when it comes to electronics i'm not sure if i'm up for the job. What would a pack of new capacitors cost?

Any advice on switch cleaning? What to use for cleaning them?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 9:18 PM

The Beomaster 901 is not a very complex thing but - and don't get me wrong - electronics takes
a little knowledge, education, skills and tools. And that goes for B&O things in particular. They are nothing like
the more-or-less standard stereos, you will normally find.
If you are a complete novice with electronics I suggest you leave the restoration, because that's what it
really is, to someone with a little more experience.
The electronic parts needed are pretty much standard components, not very costly, and it shouldn't take too
many working hours to replace capacitors and clean the switches, of which the latter could easily prove to
be the most tricky part since they would need almost complete disassembling to do it right.

Martin

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

ewqers:

Ok. I'm considering doing a capacitor replacement, but  as i'm a real novice when it comes to electronics i'm not sure if i'm up for the job. What would a pack of new capacitors cost?

Any advice on switch cleaning? What to use for cleaning them?

If you never done it before, I suggest you start with something more easy, like a speaker crossover, and go from there, the 901 was one of my first 3 years ago, look here as Martin says, you will need some pre knowledge, and the right tools.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Algor
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
Algor replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 11:20 AM

A simple and important thing to do is to clean pot sliders. You can do it also without disassembling them  Buy a good contact cleaner  spray for electronic use as Philips and sprays it into sliders. Then move sliders and spray it again. Place some sheet of scottex under slider before, so you do not dirty the circuit board
Now you will not  hear any scratch when you move sliders.

If you hear a low noise as "mmmmm", it is a 100hz noise and you have to change the big capacitor of the power supply
Do not change all capacitor without reasons that is without testing them It is not cheap, it can not be very useful and set looks  less "vintage" and original That is my humble opinion A capacitor must be changed only if it is damaged or if it has not acceptable  values

When you change the big capacitor you could place the new into the old so the look of circuit board of radio will be the same

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS