Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beovox S 45-2 Silent Woofer

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Seth Powers
Not Ranked
Des Moines
Posts 12
Bronze Member
Seth Powers Posted: Mon, Oct 22 2018 7:45 PM

Hello, all, 

I recently acquired a free pair of S 45-2s. Unfortunately, there is no sound from the woofers. Sound comes from the smaller speakers, however. I took the woofers out to check the wiring and did a battery and multimeter test. One woofer reads over 7 kohms, while the other reads near 4 ohms. I have limited to no knowledge of how speakers work, so I thought I might ask you folks for direction. 

I have read through a number of threads here and am a bit lost.

How likely can these get fixed?  

Thank you,

Seth

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Mon, Oct 22 2018 8:11 PM

Hi Seth

Welcome to the site......sounds like the magnets have become detached from the frames, will light pressure on the paper cones allow free movement up and down on the diaphragms? the speaker that reads 4 ohms will probably be repairable, the one reading 7k ohms is suspect. there are a number of threads here that describe the diagnosing of these issues and also methods of repair, take a look and more importantly post some pics.

Craig

Seth Powers
Not Ranked
Des Moines
Posts 12
Bronze Member

Yes, the cones both move freely when pushed lightly. I have discovered, and repaired, an issue with the speaker reading 4 ohms. It seems a wire came out of place. I have since soldered it into its correct position. 

The other speaker, with the 7 kohm reading, is, unfortunately, still silent. When I apply a 9 volt battery to it, it emits the faintest scratching sound.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-xF8_ZWMx2TZ1FMR29tUHdnbjdodTR1aUZCeEQ2MUZrRG9B

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-xF8_ZWMx2Ta2xDemM4STNpZVYxYmt4eW5QUVFOTjNDNFd3

Seth Powers
Not Ranked
Des Moines
Posts 12
Bronze Member

So I see I either smack open the speaker magnets for reasons I don't fully understand, or I attempt to locate replacement woofers. 

I am fine with trying either. However, if any of y'all could point me in the direction of some possible replacements, I'd like to look into that first. 

If that is unreasonable, I will follow the instructions I found on other threads to reset the magnet.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thank you,

Seth

Seth Powers
Not Ranked
Des Moines
Posts 12
Bronze Member

Oops

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Tue, Oct 23 2018 2:57 PM

Sounds like you have sorted the speaker with the 4 ohm reading. As you say both speakers move freely when lightly pressed its unlikely that the magnet of the 7kohm speaker has been dislodged, when this happens the voice coil is held firmly and wont move under pressure of any kind, therefore smacking it open wont help, i'm not sure what would give a 7kohm reading other than a dry solder joint. you are measuring with the speaker disconected?

Craig 

Seth Powers
Not Ranked
Des Moines
Posts 12
Bronze Member

I am measuring the speaker disconnected. I might try resoldering the connections I have access to. 

Thank you for your guidance.
Seth 
Seth Powers
Not Ranked
Des Moines
Posts 12
Bronze Member

I checked out the solder joints I could reach and resoldered them. Unfortunately, now the impedance reads 20 kohm. I took the speaker to a local vintage speaker/stereo repair shop and the owner declined to attempt a repair. He said the speaker is dead and I might as well buy a new one.

I suppose so, but are there any alternative options to stalking ebay?

Seth

Seth Powers
Not Ranked
Des Moines
Posts 12
Bronze Member

I was able to locate an accessible replacement woofer on ebay. Lucky day!

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions.

Seth

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS