Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

What software for macmini?

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 4 Followers

Rikard
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 218
Bronze Member
Rikard Posted: Sun, Nov 18 2012 2:18 PM
After all the discussions regardingsmart tvs and appel tv. I went to the Apple store and asked about the atv. The sales girl said that my current setup with macmini was a far better since the mac can do more things.

Since smart tvs is just applications a atv or computer/ps3 can do the same and more.

So to my question, what software(s) do you Mac users use?

Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Flere replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 5:14 PM

I use a Macmini connected via hdmi+puc to BV10.

For the Macmini I use:

http://twistedmelon.com/mira/ software to control what my beo4 does.

itunes with remote app on ipad to play music.

www.plexapp.com plex with plex app on ipad to play movies and TV series.

www.tunein.com TuneIn radio app on ipad to stream radio to Macmini.

www.airserverapp.com to make my Macmini a very good airplay server like the ATV is to stream anything to the Macmini.

www.hdfury.com Dr HDMI to let the Macmini think the BV10 is always on.

Best regards

= Flere

- Flere

smile and enjoy the moment

Rikard
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 218
Bronze Member
Rikard replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 6:02 PM

I have the Plex app on my mac, I have not really got into it yet, or I dont really like it too much. 

So I end up using vlc.. 
I shall try other apps/program that I can have as auto at startup. It needs to be easy to navigate with my beo remote. I want it to work out easy without the mouse and keyboard.. 

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 7:56 PM

Hi Rikard,

I must say that i'm a HUGE iTunes fan. It's 100% stable and just damn easy to use.

I love the B&O radio app for the iPhone very much.

For broadcasting we use Serato DJ / Pioneer Rekordbox which uses the playlists from iTunes etc.

Digital sound editing, it's the industry standard Adobe Audition.

For £99/Euro/$ it's still most definitely worth investing in Apple TV.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 8:45 PM

I started with my MacBook Pro interfaced to a BV when I needed to.

Now I have a MacMini dedicated as a media centre -- but whilst LinkPlayer 1 was stable and useful, a change to OSX Lion created some difficulties.

LinkPlayer 2 is in Beta and making slow progress.

So now days I tend to use the MacMIni as a headless disk drive for the media and access it via either iPad Apps (e.g. Plex client) or remote desk top access from the MBP.

When I use iPad Apps like Plex I can then airplay to Apple TVs.

I now have two ATVs since I have two BVs -- I would not want two MacMinis Smile, much more expensive than adding two ATVs to a single MacMini.

The big problem with the ATV is entering search terms - this is why an iPad is really useful.

Of course the ATVs can also receive media from any visiting iDevice or MacBook.

It comes down to whether you want:

(a) a computer interface on your BV's screen (i.e. it becomes a monitor)

(b) a sophisticated media centre interface (which is what I wanted originally for my wife, family and friends ... but people are now frustrated that it is not reliable)

(c) simple media centre interface that streams from the cloud for music already purchased materials or photos from friends, purchases/rents movies & TV shows and stores them in the cloud, gives you access to your iTunes libraries (mine versus my wife's), and can receive media sent to it from iDevices

We mainly now operate as (c) with the ATVs - just wish we had Siri so we could command the search and not have the ridiculous click, tab, tab, click for every letter.

KMA's review of the BV11's SMART TV interface however shows that the ATV can easily be displaced as TVs evolve ... and who knows what 2013 will bring.

Flere's link below appears to be a nice compromise for have (a) with out having to use a keyboard and mouse, and so the MacMini can start to approximate being (b)

Flere:
http://twistedmelon.com/mira/ software to control what my beo4 does.

Which ever route you chose I can assure you that all will offer hours of entertainment and enjoyment of your media assetsSmile

And options (a) and (b) will now doubt offer you offers of technical enjoyment, otherwise know as frustration Big Smile

BeoNut since '75

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 9:01 PM

Thread moved from Beoworld B&O General forum to Beo-Mac.

Martin
Beoworld moderator.

Rikard
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 218
Bronze Member
Rikard replied on Mon, Nov 19 2012 5:14 AM

I have had the Macmini for a year, using my tv as a monitor. Watching tv/movies works good, but you always need the mouse and/or the keyboard, this is something that I want to do without - just using the Beo remote. 

Until I got the BS5 i had all my music on my macmini - this worked out ok - I used the ipad as a remote for the music, but I often needed to start the tv to start itunes, that bugged me alot. 

Now I want to use the mac as a mediacenter, the atv has alot of advantages, as it is very easy to use. But you need to convert the series and movies to fit itunes, that is also a thing that bugs me alot. So I think finding a good program to use the mac as a mediacenter would be the best thing. 

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, Nov 19 2012 9:14 AM

Rikard:
Now I want to use the mac as a mediacenter, the atv has alot of advantages, as it is very easy to use. But you need to convert the series and movies to fit itunes, that is also a thing that bugs me alot. So I think finding a good program to use the mac as a mediacenter would be the best thing. 

Just saw MacRumors / MacLegion talking about an application called Beamer which looks good on the site ... describes how you can airplay without needed it in Apple format

http://maclegion.com/software.htm?app=beamer

BeoNut since '75

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 562
Bronze Member
DoubleU replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 9:42 PM

Rikard:

I have had the Macmini for a year, using my tv as a monitor. Watching tv/movies works good, but you always need the mouse and/or the keyboard, this is something that I want to do without - just using the Beo remote. 

Until I got the BS5 i had all my music on my macmini - this worked out ok - I used the ipad as a remote for the music, but I often needed to start the tv to start itunes, that bugged me alot. 

Why don't you give Plex a second chance? No need to convert and it has one of the nicest graphic interfaces. The only thing you have to do is rename your rips or downloads the right way so Plex can get a match for TV-series (TVDatabase) and movies (IMDB-database) to give you the right fan-art and covers. 

To start iTunes is easy to set in your System Preferences -> User & Groups -> Log in

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member
J River Media Center 17 on a Windows-boot/Parallels 8. Greetings Millemissen

There is a tv - and there is a BV

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

I use my Mac mini with the TV, only for movies. (iTunes)

My music library I control from the iPad. (On the same Mac mini)

Too long to list.... 

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 881
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 2:53 PM
I have my Mac mini tied to Tape2 of my Beosystem 5000 running BitPerfect on iTunes. I control what music plays using the apple remote app on my iPhone and iPad. I usually have my music selection on constant shuffle, and find it very convenient to be able to make selection changes on the fly from any of my link rooms.

I've also loaded handbrake and Vlc to allow me to load my DVDs to my iTunes for playback on my ATV. I have a 2TB USB drive mounted to my AirPort Extreme for movie and music storage. It just makes it easier for the family to use.

I've also loaded vinyl studio to capture my LPs digitally and clean up any pops and ticks. I store them as 96k 24 bit flac files before converting then to lower but versions for iTunes. The high res files sound very good to my ears and still seem to capture the magic of the BG5000 and MMC3.

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, 2014 Audi S5 with B&O sound, and ambio 

hfat
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 663
Bronze Member
hfat replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 5:25 PM

Hi Rikard,

Maybe you can find some ideas here: http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/3868.aspx

hfat

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 881
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Sun, Mar 3 2013 10:55 PM
dmacri:

I have my Mac mini tied to Tape2 of my Beosystem 5000 running BitPerfect on iTunes. I control what music plays using the apple remote app on my iPhone and iPad. I usually have my music selection on constant shuffle, and find it very convenient to be able to make selection changes on the fly from any of my link rooms.

I've also loaded handbrake and Vlc to allow me to load my DVDs to my iTunes for playback on my ATV. I have a 2TB USB drive mounted to my AirPort Extreme for movie and music storage. It just makes it easier for the family to use.

I've also loaded vinyl studio to capture my LPs digitally and clean up any pops and ticks. I store them as 96k 24 bit flac files before converting then to lower but versions for iTunes. The high res files sound very good to my ears and still seem to capture the magic of the BG5000 and MMC3. BeoSystem 5000 (BM 5000, BG 5005, BC 5000, CD50), BeoCenter 3500, BeoSystem 2500, BeoVox S-45, BeoVox S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, CX-100, 3 MCL82 link rooms, A8, 4001 relay and ambio

I forgot to mention I got a custom built cable set from Steve at Sounds Heavenly and they are absolutely awesome! Definitely a high quality set of cables.

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, 2014 Audi S5 with B&O sound, and ambio 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Hi DMacri,

nice setup you have there - I like it Yes - thumbs up

Which cables from Steve are you using?

Are we talking about connecting the MacMini to Aux/Tape2?

How do you get the sound/only out f the Mini?

Greetings Millemissen

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 881
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Mon, Mar 4 2013 11:33 AM
Millemissen:

Hi DMacri,

nice setup you have there - I like it

Which cables from Steve are you using?

Are we talking about connecting the MacMini to Aux/Tape2?

How do you get the sound/only out f the Mini?

Greetings Millemissen

Millemissen, yes, Steve custom made a cable to connect the input and output of the Mac mini to tape 2 of the BM. That way I can not only record to the mini, but I can use the tape monitor feature. So a DIN connector to two 1/8" plugs. I just run iTunes in shuffle constantly, and use Vinyl Studio when I record my favorite LPs.

Dom

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Hi DMacri,

seems that you have an "oldschool MacMini" Huh?

Or are you using the headphone/mic-connections?

That would not be my choice anyway - I use a usb-dac.

Since you use FLAC and FLAC in 24/96 I suppose you use Bitperfect, Amarra or alike?

Or at least you could, if you want to hear the ripped LP's in 24/96.

Note: This thread has bin moved to the Beo-Mac forum. So I think it will be OK to ask these Mac-specific questions Whistle

Greetings Millemissen

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 881
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Mon, Mar 4 2013 10:42 PM
Millemissen:

Hi DMacri,

seems that you have an "oldschool MacMini"

Or are you using the headphone/mic-connections?

That woulld not be my choice anyway - I use a usb-dac.

Since you use FLAC and FLAC in 24/96 I suppose you use Bitperfect, Amarra or alike?

Or at least you could, if you want to hear the ripped LP's in 24/96.

Note: This thread has bin moved to the Beo-Mac forum. So I think it will be OK to ask these Mac-specific questions

Greetings Millemissen

Hi Millemissen,

Yes, I sought out an old Mac mini specifically because it had the analog input and output connections. I didnt want to add a USB DAC just yet. I am also using BitPerfect along with with iTunes.

I am still using the demo mode of Vinyl Studio and made a 24/96 copy of an LP last week. I think the software did a great job of removing the noise without damaging the music. I'll buy it to gain full functionality soon.

I may try ALAC next time, if possible to see if it's more compatible with iTunes without having to be converted first. I would like to move these files to my iDevices too.

Dom

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Tue, May 13 2014 5:54 PM

Millemissen:

- I use a usb-dac.

What are you using Bitperfect or Amarra?

I'm preferring Amarra Symphony with IRC, nice analog sound coming from it. Although I'm not so wild of the IRC adjustment. Think I'm still a old fashioned person  Embarrassed  when it comes to sound adjustment. But the player engine itself is very good. Have also Audirvana + and Pure Music

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

RobN
Not Ranked
Posts 54
Bronze Member
RobN replied on Mon, Aug 11 2014 2:12 PM

Hi Rickard,

I'd say the sales girl was right, a Mac-mini gives you a lot more flexibility. I've run one for some years into my B&O Mlink set-up via BM-Link software and a BeoPort. The advantage of this is you can get music on any B&O device in the house and then put an AppleTV behind each TV and stream films. The quality is excellent.

The next advantage is you can put Handbrake on the Mac-mini so you can rip your DVDs into the Mac-Mini. I recommend getting a 2TB external drive for music and films because they fill up the internal hard-drive very quickly.

You can control all this from an iPhone, iPad or iTouch combined with your BEO4. Plus if you want to get really good sound put a Cambridge Audio DAC magic between the Mac-mini audio digital optical output and the BeoPort. It sounds excellent! Big Smile

Best, Rob

crossbytje
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 224
Bronze Member

I'm using an old white macbook, running xbmc, free software. It accesses a NAS on which many movies and series are placed. 

XBMC automatically updates its library, shows movie and series info, automatically search for subtitles on all popular subtitles websites, and does it all through the small apple remote (I'm sure it can be puc controlled so it would work with the beo4 as well).

It's similar to plex (although I haven't used plex) but simpler in my view.

Plex requires a server somewhere (could be the same computer) and acts as a client. It is loved for its ability to access this server through many different devices. Say you start watching a movie in one place through a mac mini, and need to stop. You can later continue watching this movie on an android phone, a computer, (not sure if non-jailbroken iphones are supported).

With XBMC, there is only one system and it acts as a stand-alone. I prefer xbmc for its remarkably simple (and well-designed) interface, and its ability to tailor it to your own wishes (if you want, but you don't have to). I don't need to access movies through different devices.

There is a nice remote app for smartphones too.

Beolit 12 - Beolab 4 pc (dead now) - Beoplay H5 - Beolab 9 - BeoRemote One BT - Beoplay M3

Page 1 of 1 (21 items) | RSS