Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beosound 2

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan Posted: Wed, Nov 7 2018 9:39 PM

I've been on the fence about buying a BS2 for a couple months. 

I'm looking to potentially replace a pair of BL8000 MK1s in my office.  I work at home so I usually listen to this system at least a few hours a day, but not exactly critically.  Once in a while, I'll turn them up and LISTEN, but usually it's background music - think of a normal conversation volume vs whispering or yelling.

The problem with the BL8000s is I can't really place them optimally - they're currently against the wall, to the side of my desk.  There's no way to place them for proper stereo imaging. 

The BS2 would give me more placement options so it could hopefully sound better - like on the shelf directly behind my desk, and, maybe, be less fiddley.  I mostly listen to Spotify via a Chromecast connected to my BS9000 via a BL Active, and the Chromecast hangs, drops out and needs to be rebooted from time to time.  I also like the ability to listen to my BeoVision audio.

Are people generally happy with it? 

Does it suffered from the dreaded B&O flaky software? 

Do you get some stereo imaging if you are directly in front of it?

Does it sound good at all volumes, or does it require a certain minimum level to sound good?  

Would you buy one again?

What about the Beoplay M5?  

Other ideas?

Opman
Top 200 Contributor
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Posts 443
Bronze Member
Opman replied on Wed, Nov 7 2018 10:09 PM

Hi Stan

My primary audio was BeoSound 3000 and BeoLab 4000. Like you the layout of the room didn't lend itself to positioning the speakers for optimal stereo image. This has now been retired to its original boxes and is stored in the loft. In its place is a BeoSound 2. 

Personally I find this a more than adequate replacement. I had the opportunity to try a BeoSound 1 which was ok but I felt a little lacking in power.

I also have a Beoplay M5 which to be honest is probably under used as I tend to use the BeoSound 2. I also have my BeoGram 6500 connected to the line input.

Due to the placement position in the room the stereo image has never been a factor and I don't tend to sit and listen to music like I used to, it is really background music while I'm pottering about on my day off.

Perhaps you could see if your local dealer will provide a home demonstration as that is the acid test.

Regards

Opman

Opman
Top 200 Contributor
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Posts 443
Bronze Member
Opman replied on Wed, Nov 7 2018 10:14 PM

Sorry. I forgot to address your other questions.

Yes I'm more than happy with it.

Not had any software issues.

Sounds great at all volumes.

Personally I'm happy not to have Google Voice Assist integrated, but this is now on option if you live in a country that supports this feature.

I went for the Infantry green which is far more subtle when you see it in the flesh and in my opinion the name is somewhat miss leading as it doesn't look green at all.

Opman

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Wed, Nov 7 2018 10:55 PM
Software has been fine. I use mine as background listening in my kitchen, usually Tune In, Deezer, NAS stored music or very often BV audio.

It's probably overkill for the kitchen, in my case, but it's very solid.

Whether it's worth the money, compared to an A9 for example, which to me sounds more impressive.
Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
I don’t have A BS2 however I have a BS1 and no flaky software. It’s very solid and reliable.
Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Thu, Nov 8 2018 2:47 AM

Thanks for the information. It's good to know the software is solid.

I've already considered some of this. I think the A9 is definitely overkill, and doesn't exactly solve my placement challenges. The BS1 doesn't have an aux input so it's off the list.  I hesitate with the bs2 because it could be overkill, but the m5 seems like a big step down from the bl8000s. I used to have an original bs1. Anyone have an opinion on m5 vs original bs1?

Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 174
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Thu, Nov 8 2018 3:05 PM

Stan,

I sadly do have software issues with my BS2, still.

I just tried it out of curiosity and they persist:

After latest firmware update end of may 2018, FW 1.17.22535.7625124, I could no longer play Qobuz via Chromecast. Chromecast simply didn't connect any more, no sound coming from the BS2 playing Qobuz.

Chromecast worked for Amazon music, Tunein and several radio players, but not for Qobuz.

Ms Andersen from Beocare kindly sent me a file for downgrading and installing the previous firmware on my BS2 again, FW 1.16.19909.162640994.

With the previous FW Qobuz via Chromecast worked again - the only way for streaming Qobuz with the BS2, because Qobuz is not integrated.

But the previous firmware had another bug, and still has, which is annoying:

After having played something via line-in or from Tune-in integrated radio player, Chromecast doesn't connect anymore. To nothing. Not only to Qobuz. Connects with nothing.

To get Chromecast back again I need to power off the BS2 and restart it. The only way to get Chromecast working.

... I just tried it, out of curiosity, and made an update for the latest firmware: the bug persists. No way at all to stream Qobuz. That's annoying.

I will have to install the old firmware file again from my computer.

Apart from that I am really happy with the device and I even would buy it again :)

Stereo imaging - there is none.

But for my needs it's quite right that way. I use it for multiroom playing via Chromecast, for parties, having guests, in addition to my classical stereo:

Impossible to locate the BS2 in the large room playing, and that's a nice feature, for me.

I don't think the BS2 would be "too much" for a smaller room.

After having activated "loudness" it sounds good at low volume levels as well.

And you can make adjustments - select between three ways of playing:

In the middle - which is really powerful and maybe too much for a small room.

At the wall, which is less powerful.

And in the corner, which is the softest way.

Hope this helps,

Ulrike 

tobeyone
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 125
Founder
Very happy with my BS2, no issues.
Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 174
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Sat, Dec 1 2018 3:20 PM

Update:

All issues, all bugs are gone :) with new firmware version 1.18.26655.191030915

Everything works perfectly now! Big Smile

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Sat, Dec 1 2018 6:17 PM

Update:

Bought a mk1 dealer demo in bronze. Very happy with it.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS