Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoSound Moment questions

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 2 Followers

beccasapp
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
beccasapp Posted: Sat, Nov 17 2018 1:53 AM

I am considering purchasing a BeoSound Moment sound system but I have a few questions. If anyone with this product can chip in (or have knowledge they are willing to share), it would be much appreciated!

I have searched as much as I can but I couldn't find out what this system is capable of now that it has had a couple software updates since it's 2015 release. 

Are there any new features other than those listed in the 2015 reviews? New streaming services? Is the software/product buggy or fine for use now? Do you think it is a great product? What is it's best use case/how do you use it?

I would also like to get some clarity regarding wired speaker compatibility and this system. I do not own any B&O speakers, but I was hoping that I can connect the BeoSound Moment to my none-B&O wired speakers set-up. Is this possible? If so, how? Are there limitations? I read that the wired connection is through Power Link (RJ45). Is there an adapter from power link to Coax, optical or Aux? These are the only wired options my current sound system offers.

Links (urls) of accessories that would be needed would also be appreciated. Feel free to ask if you need me to clarify something written in this post.

Thank you all for your help!

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sat, Nov 17 2018 8:50 AM
For me the Moment is a nice system. Software is solid, and I have no problems.

Mine is integrated with a Beovision 11 and use the Beolab 11 and Beolab 3 speakers connected to the TV.

It’s nice to use the screen to browse for music on Deezer or my own collection on the NAS. Sometimes I want to do something without my phone.

There is still only Deezer and Tunein services, so the main tweaks in later versions of the firmware has been more around the GUI and fixing bugs I would say.

Your main problem will be to connect your speakers. Moment does not include an amplifier. Think others on the forum can give better advise on how to do that.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

beccasapp
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
beccasapp replied on Sat, Nov 17 2018 10:47 PM

Thanks Hiort.

Was connecting it to your NAS difficult or pain free?

I reread the manual and it does state non-B&O speakers can be used but it was a bit confusing how to set this up for the initial set up.

I believe I know the answer but can someone use a free Deezer account on this now or is it still only for paid accounts? 

Many thanks!

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sun, Nov 18 2018 9:54 AM
beccasapp:

Thanks Hiort.

Was connecting it to your NAS difficult or pain free?

I reread the manual and it does state non-B&O speakers can be used but it was a bit confusing how to set this up for the initial set up.

I believe I know the answer but can someone use a free Deezer account on this now or is it still only for paid accounts?

Many thanks!

Connection to NAS is super simple. Just select from that NAS that Moment find from your network.

Your are correct. You need a paid Deezer account. With Deezer premium the sound is really as good as it gets.

Regarding non B&O speakers I hope others can give advise.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Sun, Nov 18 2018 10:44 AM

Hiort:
non B&O speakers
You additional need an amplifier (MCL2P, Beolink Converter MCL/ML, Beolink Passive or Beoamp) presuming the non B&o speakers are passive speakers.

beccasapp
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
beccasapp replied on Sun, Nov 18 2018 2:14 PM

Hi Carolpa,

My current non-B&O speaker set are active speakers with wired inputs Coax, optical or Aux. How do I connect these to the Moment? This is the only thing holding me back from making a decision.

If there are accessories I have to purchase, please share them.

Thanks.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Nov 18 2018 6:09 PM

I would recommend you do a search on the forum here for the Moment and review a lot of what's been said about it before committing to buying one. Hiort's experiences are by no means in the majority, the number of serious issues and problems with the Moment are substantial, and B&O dropped it after only 3 years of production. Just a warning to go into this eyes open as it were.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

beccasapp
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
beccasapp replied on Sun, Nov 18 2018 6:21 PM

Thank you Jeff. I have been doing just that: reading a lot for the old threads here. The thread "The Beosound Moment Beta 2.x thread" seems to give the impression that most of the kinks have been worked out with the new OS update. By chance, do you have one yourself? If so, what are some of the problems that you have faced with it?

The BeoSound Moment is certainly not a *need* for me but a very expensive *want*. I don't mind being talked out of it. :) The device's design is what I really love.

I will not be using it for Deezer (I do not like the idea of paying for streaming services) but for playing/accessing music locally stored on my home network. I understand, however, that streaming music is what this device is really designed for.  Are there any other products that are comparable to the Moment from other companies?

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Nov 18 2018 6:33 PM

No, I don't have a Moment. I thought at first it looked like a brilliant concept but the execution was seriously flawed. I just replaced my Playmaker a short while ago with an Auralic Aries Mini. Previously I had my ripped music on my laptop and streamed it to the Playmaker, as well as using my iOS devices to stream Spotify to the Playmaker. Now, I put a solid state drive in the Auralic and transferred all of my ripped CDs and such to it, and use the Auralic app to playback music on the hard drive. I still stream Spotify but now to the Auralic. The Auralic just works, flawlessly and reliably. While my Playmaker worked pretty well at first (not everyone's experience, it was flawed from the get go for many), it got worse and worse and the s/w updates did not help.

My Auralic goes into the Aux input of my Beosound 9000, and thence to my Beolab 9's. The Auralic is nothing special to look at, a small white box, but I have it hidden in the cabinet.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

beccasapp:

Hi Carolpa,

My current non-B&O speaker set are active speakers with wired inputs Coax, optical or Aux. How do I connect these to the Moment? This is the only thing holding me back from making a decision.

If there are accessories I have to purchase, please share them.

Thanks.

Allow me to give an answer to the question asked!

You will have to use an analog connection (AUX) between these *

There is no digital output on the Momment - even if rhere were you would not be able to control the volume that way.

For suitable adapter cables please contact Steve SoundsHeavenly (the site sponsor, whose link you can see below).

* Does your active speakers have a built-in volume control?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

beccasapp
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
beccasapp replied on Sun, Nov 18 2018 7:05 PM

Thanks again Jeff.

I am definitely going to have to reevaluate this potential purchase.

beccasapp
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
beccasapp replied on Sun, Nov 18 2018 7:13 PM

Hi MM,

Thanks! Yes, the speaker set has a remote with volume control, among some other features. It does have an AUX port, so are you saying it can work? The speakers are currently connected to another device through optical and the host device cannot alter its volume either. I change the volume using the remote only (which does not bother me).

I will reach out to Steve but first I want to be sure that this is even possible.

MM, are you willing to share your brief impression of this device (if you own/used one)?

beccasapp
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
beccasapp replied on Sun, Nov 18 2018 8:46 PM

It can be connected so that's good.

Now I just have to decide if this device is worth it. Hmm...

kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,562
Bronze Member
kallasr replied on Sun, Nov 18 2018 9:24 PM
I have been thinking about a Beosound Moment as well, but cannot see any advantage over our Sonos / iPad setup...

Ralf

Living Room: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab 9 (Fronts), Beolab 8000 (Rears), no Subwoofer. Screen: Sony KD-85XH9096
Dining Room: Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 4000 on stands, fed by Amazon Echo Show 8
Home Cinema: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-4 (Center), Beolab 1 (Fronts), Beolab 4000 (Rears). Projector: Sony VPL-HW55
Home Office: Beosystem 3, Beolab 7-4, Beolab 5000, Screen: Sony KD-55XH9005 on Beovision 7-40 stand, ML to Beosound 9000 MK3 and Beosound 5/Beomaster 5 (1 TB SSD version)
Bedroom: Sony KD-65XH9077, Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 6002 and Beolab 11 (all white, wall-mounted)

In storage: Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000 (1960s). 

beccasapp
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
beccasapp replied on Sun, Nov 18 2018 9:44 PM

For me, I am not interested in using an iPad or other tablet or phone. I'd rather just use my computer then.

The Moment would have been something dedicated to music but I know this is not a need for me. What is your use case?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

beccasapp:

Hi MM,

Thanks! Yes, the speaker set has a remote with volume control, among some other features. It does have an AUX port, so are you saying it can work? The speakers are currently connected to another device through optical and the host device cannot alter its volume either. I change the volume using the remote only (which does not bother me).

I will reach out to Steve but first I want to be sure that this is even possible.

MM, are you willing to share your brief impression of this device (if you own/used one)?

You must know then, that you will have to deal with two volume controls.

I’d say - for convenience - set the volume of the speakers at a suitable level and leave it there....then control the volume using the Moment.

Please notice, that not all AUX inputs offer good sound quality - since your speaker are unknown, it is hard to tell how that will work out in your case in daily use.

(Normally/theoretically you should always control the volume in the latest possible device).

Controlling the volume directly in the speakers (and leaving the volume of the Moment basicly at one level and the untouched) would contradict the convinience of axdevice, that features one big remete control = the jukebox.

You will have to know (and approve) the concept of the BS Moment!

The philosophy of it, is to serve you with music you like to any given time of the day.

The algorhitms used for this are called MoodWheel and PatternPlay.

It is not an audio player/streamer in the classical way - however, you can browse the music collection and the radio stations, but this is not the primary force of the device (of the concept).

It works best with a streaming service = with Deezer. You can connect it to a DLNA server as well for playback of local files from the network/a NAS.

Recommended from B&O is the Twonky server. Some people have had trouble with this, especially when using other (DLNA) servers.

There may be problems with very big local collections.

As long as you mainly use it for Deezer (and netradio), I see no problem in recommending it.....with the latest sw, of course.

I do have some experience with it, but I don’t use one in my setup.....

.....I am not a guy, who wants to be ‘nursed’ when listening to music.

Rather I am someone who likes exploring and picking music actively.

That said, I accept - and know - that many costumers prefer a more passive way of choosing music......as long as they get to hear, what they like!!!

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Nov 19 2018 7:29 AM
I agree with a lot of the points MM write.

The beauty with Moment for me is the way it blends music I listen to on Deezer with my own music collection, and that I do not have to use my phone.

To sit with the tablet and browse for music is really nice, now when the search feature has been revamped.

The integration with my Beovison 11 is also a big plus, so that Moment can share its speakers.

But, if you do not use Deezer and do not have B&O speakers connected, you loose a lot of the beauty and convenience with this product.

(I use a Synology NAS with around 3000 songs and have no problems with that. Moment is wired to my router using power line adapter)

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi beccasapp,

Which model of speakers do you have please?  I will then be pleased to help you to find the best way to connect these to either a Moment, or to your computer if you prefer.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

IA64
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 135
Bronze Member
IA64 replied on Sun, Aug 25 2019 6:35 PM

Hello Steve,

Is it possible to connect the moment to an AVR with line in input ?  So far I have a crestron multizone amp and a seperate B&O ( BL20 + moment + etc.. ).

Many sources are connected to the AMP to feed every room. Would it be possible to connect the moment to the crestron  c2n-6x100 ) ? 

Maybe powerlink to RCA or anything like that. Appreciating your input. 

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hello IA64,

Yes, you can use this cable to play the output of the Moment into a stereo RCA Line input of the amp (please set the Moment volume near to maximum to give full volume control from the amp:-

https://soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/65-366-rj45-powerlink-compatible-to-twin-phono-cable-output-from-new-bo-devices-to-amps-receivers-etc.html#/2-length-1m

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS