Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Are your kids unimpressed?

rated by 0 users
This post has 25 Replies | 0 Followers

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 881
Gold Member
DMacri Posted: Fri, Nov 23 2018 6:16 PM
I just explained how my BeoSystem 6500, BeoSystem 3, and remote rooms with MCL2 and Masterlink are all configured so you can listen to anything anywhere in the house and even control iTunes on the Mac Mini using the Beo4 remotes.

*Glazed over look* Unsure. “Yeah, ok, cool.”

Maybe it’s because they are so used to WiFi and everything at you fingertips using smart devices, but come on! This is awesome tech for someone who grew up in the 70s! Am I alone in this, or is this a function of me tending towards being an early adopter of tech that they’re just desensitized to this by now? Is this just my fault?

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, 2014 Audi S5 with B&O sound, and ambio 

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Fri, Nov 23 2018 6:27 PM
It’s just kids. My son (22) mocks my B&O addiction - although he does grudgingly like the eclipse

For example, he says it’s unintuitive, purposely confusing and different for the sake of being different. I counter that his brain has been warped by the world of poor interfaces to which he is accustomed. If he could forget his expectations of how AV equipment is “supposed” to work maybe he could begin to appreciate it. He says this is too much trouble for something that should be simple.

He might have a point about the bs5 Whistle
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@DMacri

Yes, why the hassle, when a mobile phone and some earbuts can do the same 😏

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Howzit
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 94
Bronze Member
Howzit replied on Fri, Nov 23 2018 9:59 PM
I too have cobbled together a system that can work in any room, but most importantly, incorporates systems from today’s product lines, going all the way back to the 70s as well.

They don’t get the allure, nor are impressed with any of it.

However, when they grow up, and begin shopping for their own equipment, trying to configure their own setups, and upon a visit back to my home, that’s when it’s going to hit them. One day, they will aspire to something better, whatever that might be, but the price tag and configuration options is going to be overwhelming, and that’s when the appreciation will kick in.

In addition, Millennials, and GenZ to an even greater extent, don’t value most things generally. Looking after things, mending or repairing things, are all attributes seen as a waste of time. When it comes to products, any work that needs to be put by the user is seen as “not smart”. Even switching a light on with a finger in the near future will be seen as too much work, let alone having a HiFi system using different components configured to make a greater unit.

A pair of headphones is as complicated as they want it to be, and even then, if that headphone has a wire, that starts to become a bit of a problem, the the work it takes to plug it in is just too much... which is ironic, since the pairing of wireless devices takes more time and work, and consistently has issues... but because it’s on a phone screen, it’s still “smart”, lol.

Another example Iv noticed is that surround sound systems are falling out of favor, where instead, just a wireless sound bar will suffice, and THAT’s a BIG undertaking.

But I think the appreciation kicks in when they reach the phase in their life when they are building out their own home, and they look back and remember the system you have, and realize what the big deal was. They will then just head over to a home electronic store and just pick up a wireless speaker knowing how much work the alternative is, lol.

The one thing I will say however, is that Iv trained my young kids to notice, and they do notice, the difference in audio quality in a proper, well design and built speaker, versus a cheap useless one. Small victories, one at a time my friend!

Beolab 9 | Beolab 8000 | Beolab 6000 | Beolab 2 | Beolab 3 | Beosound 9000 | Beoplay A9 | Beomaster 8000 | Beovox M75, / S75, / S45.2 

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Kids would not be impressed with that setup because it is not immediate

If you flip it let them be unimpressed cos then you know they won’t stuff it up by touching it leaving it pristine for your enjoyment Big Smile
DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 881
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Sat, Nov 24 2018 10:53 AM
Aussie Michael:

Kids would not be impressed with that setup because it is not immediate

If you flip it let them be unimpressed cos then you know they won’t stuff it up by touching it leaving it pristine for your enjoyment

You’re absolutely right. Most everyone is afraid to touch it because they think they’ll break something. Maybe I’ll stop trying to encourage them to use it other than to use the remote receivers to turn it on and off in the link rooms Big Smile.

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, 2014 Audi S5 with B&O sound, and ambio 

MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 340
Bronze Member
MrRoast replied on Sat, Nov 24 2018 11:17 AM
My son is 9 and has grown up in a house where B&O is part of every day. I think that the familiarity with technology (of all kinds) makes it almost disappear into the background for the younger generation.

I grew up with rotary dial telephones and no internet so still am in awe of what we can do today.

It’s nice to see my son’s reaction when the Beolink 7000 sits up at a touch but I guess that’s part of the B&O magic. I had it seeing the 2500 glass door open for the first time.

The test will be when he’s older and buys his own stuff and realises that his old dad’s old wooden speakers sound better than what he’s just bought 😆
chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Nov 24 2018 12:12 PM

My three kids have seen vintage B&O in the house for years. They know.

And a good part of it all is intended for them. 

They also listen to bad mp3 thingies on the move but they know the value of a good vintage hi-fi system.

Jacques

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Sat, Nov 24 2018 3:45 PM

For all the grief my son gives me about my B&O, he still had no problem taking my first gen bs1 to college with him. He also related some stories of "sound snobs" dissing his "boombox" ... until he turned it on. Not much brand recognition of beo among today's youth.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Stan:

Not much brand recognition of beo among today's youth.

Sadly, you never see it advertised anywhere anymore.
Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
MrRoast:

I grew up with rotary dial telephones and no internet so still am in awe of what we can do today.

They will never know the pain of having to enter a radio station competition or having to request a song and you had to wait for that bloody rotary return! Haha
Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Dom. How do you use the Mac mini with the BR4 ? Is that just a puc with the BS3 ?

How do you see what songs you’re actually selecting ?
Jon
Top 500 Contributor
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Posts 241
Bronze Member
Jon replied on Sat, Nov 24 2018 10:41 PM

Aussie Michael:

Sadly, you never see it advertised anywhere anymore.

There was a radio ad about a month ago for a dealer in my area (they went from being slap bang (😏) in the middle of a furniture store to being a proper dealer I think) and I was really pretty surprised

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 881
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Sun, Nov 25 2018 12:46 AM
Aussie Michael:

Dom. How do you use the Mac mini with the BR4 ? Is that just a puc with the BS3 ?

How do you see what songs you’re actually selecting ?

I have the mini audio connected to both my BS6500 and my BS3 with a Y adapter. I sent the DVI video through an HDMI converter cable to one of the BS3 video inputs. Yes, I’m using the Apple Remote option in the BS3 PUC from the Mac Mini input.

So if I’m just listening in a link room, I’ll typically use my iPhone remote app. to switch songs. If I’m in the living room, the I can use the Beo4 to switch songs and the album art will appear on my video display.

Dom

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Nov 25 2018 12:54 AM

Are your kids unimpressed? Dare I say it, are you the pipe and slippers brigade? Stick out tongue

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

neilgk175
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Bronze Member
neilgk175 replied on Sun, Nov 25 2018 8:22 AM

I’m 31 and at this point I’m unimpressed. I splurged for the bv11-46 but my friends Sony xbr and oled TVs look better. I see a ton of banding on my tv and the black levels aren’t the best. The remote is impossible to use in the dark with it not being backlit and the multiroom app is ok at best. 

BV11-46, Beolab 3, Beoplay A1, A9, H3ANC, H8, H9i

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
Every single guy in this thread be standing in front of their kids like this:

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, Nov 25 2018 8:57 AM

Jeff:

Are your kids unimpressed? Dare I say it, are you the pipe and slippers brigade? Stick out tongue

Well I am! Although I don’t smoke. I also listen to Quad electrostatics and my kids are impressed!

Jacques

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
I need new slippers for Christmas
andy_js
Top 500 Contributor
Englandshire
Posts 223
Bronze Member
andy_js replied on Mon, Nov 26 2018 11:36 PM
I’m 29 and impressed with my BV 11 on a daily basis.
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Nov 27 2018 6:07 AM
The list of things that impress me and not my three adult sons is as long as my arm.

And vice versa.

BeoNut since '75

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

A friend of mine has the 90’es.

His kids are very inpressed by them.....

.....I am pretty sure the neighbours can verity this 😏

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

marexy
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 710
Bronze Member
marexy replied on Tue, Nov 27 2018 10:32 AM

My daughter is excited only about the Beoplay A2 that she uses for dance exercises.
Having a really large collection of B & O devices is the only thing she likes.
Others are just simply devices for dad :)

Stefan E
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 101
Gold Member
Stefan E replied on Wed, Nov 28 2018 10:05 PM

I can just see how my 6 year old daughter mange to control netflix etc via my apple TV on my different Beo visions, she know its the same button on the Beo4 regardless of what room she is in and how to paus and navigate in the menus.  She have BC1 in her own room and that remote was was easy for her to learn and adapt to, but with a link setup its not the best remote to use so I plan to swap the to a Beo4 as well.

When she is at her mothers place with a Philips TV and and an Apple TV she always need to ask for help how to turn on the TV and how to navigate the Apple TV and she have said dad have a much easier TV to watch on :)

So I've been thinking about program a LinTronic and use that one together with a spare Beo4 so she can navigate at her moms place as well. 

I can also see the magic she feels about the opening doors on my Ouverture in the kitchen, she constantly waves her hands in front of the glass just to have it open.... was an education to learn her not to touch/hold the glass.

BS3 DVB-HD, BV7-40 MKIII, BC6-26, BC6-23, BV4-50/BS2, BS5, BS9000, BL3500, MLGW, BLGW, PlayMaker, - BS6500, BS4500, LX6000, VX7000, MX5500, VX5000 - Beo6, Beo5, BeoTimex2, Linctonic

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Thu, Nov 29 2018 11:56 AM

I don't have any kids but my dog loves listening to Radio Bach through a beolab2000 in the bedroom and Beolab 3500 in the kitchen when I am out - she will settle down in front of and in the middle of the big speakers to listen to music through the B&O system but goes to another room when I put the Roberts Radio on - so at least she is impressed.

My nephews I don't think listen to music and will only watch blue ray DVDs rather than normal ones. My Parents don't have a stereo system at all anymore and most of my friends stream to loads of different devices - I can say that I am unimpressed that half the time things don't work and that they need their phones with them the whole time to listen to anything.

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Thu, Nov 29 2018 5:25 PM

I think I found a picture of your dog:

Page 1 of 1 (26 items) | RSS