Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoVision 11/40 hard disk drive

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Wild Ruedi
Top 500 Contributor
Zürich Switzerland
Posts 102
Bronze Member
Wild Ruedi Posted: Wed, Nov 28 2018 3:06 PM

Hello

on my BV11 the HDD is getting noisy. Since I do not use the record function at all my question is:

- could I remove the HDD complete without replacement?

- has it any other function than just recording?

- how to get access to the HDD

Thank you!

BeoVision11, BeoVision10, BeoSound 5, BeoSound 3500, BeoLab 9, BeoLab 4, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 8000, BeoSound 3200, Beosound Moment,NL/ML converter, delaybox, var.BeoPlay Speakers

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

I thought the hard disk was just in the section at the back of the TV that is accessible and it's plugged in by USB.

It only does recording and can be removed.

On the BV14 it can store apps from the google play store.

Can you access the rear compartment of the BV, Ruedi?

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Thu, Nov 29 2018 10:03 AM

Strange that is makes noise when not in use.

I have never heard anything from mine.

Is it really the HDD that generates the noise?

I have not seen the HDD so I assume its behind some of the panels that are not that easy to remove.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Nov 29 2018 11:42 AM
Hiort:

Strange that is makes noise when not in use.

I have never heard anything from mine.

Is it really the HDD that generates the noise?

I have not seen the HDD so I assume its behind some of the panels that are not that easy to remove.

I believe when watching tv it might be enabled to make it possible to rewind when ever that would be wanted with a small buffer.

Usually drives don’t start to sound much louder (at least not laptop drives, which I guess is fitted) but hopefully it breaks down completely rendering it quiet (might just start to shriek of the heads trying to align forever thoughSmile).

It’s not user accessible so taking it out would require a service call or knowledge of taking the set apart, and voiding the warranty or risk at least damaging stuff.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Wild Ruedi
Top 500 Contributor
Zürich Switzerland
Posts 102
Bronze Member

Thank you all for the quick reply.

Whenever the BV11 starts from deep standby, without using it at this instant, I can clearly hear an HDD. It is not just the turning noise, but a more scrubbing noise. That is why I would like to stop it from turning. Within the menu, there is no option to stop the recording device.

Please, could someone verify if the HDD runs all the time on his BV11? Is it possible to find a workshop manual for the BV11?

Ruedi

BeoVision11, BeoVision10, BeoSound 5, BeoSound 3500, BeoLab 9, BeoLab 4, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 8000, BeoSound 3200, Beosound Moment,NL/ML converter, delaybox, var.BeoPlay Speakers

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Thu, Nov 29 2018 2:41 PM

If you upgrade you can access the workshop manual on the main site. Looks as if the HDD is on a drop down panel.

I'd be wary about removal. Record function, but also pause, and the Smart features???

My BV11 came with the satellite tuner which I also understood to be part of the same module as the HDD.

I don't know whether the BV11 has cooling fans, but it is the fans that tend to become noisy on earlier BV models.

Graham

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Thu, Nov 29 2018 2:45 PM

Yes, the disk is always recording what you are viewing. You can test this by recording the very end of a programme you have been watching. When you go to recordings you will then find the whole programme, not just the last few minutes.

Graham

Wild Ruedi
Top 500 Contributor
Zürich Switzerland
Posts 102
Bronze Member

Hi Graham

in that case, the HD runs always whenever the BV11 is turned on. Even when Iam using the unit to play music from my BS Moment trough the BS11 speaker setting.

For me the HD function is useless, I can watch programms back for the last minutes to 7 days with the provider. Also recording on a cloud basis is possible. 

So the HDD never bothered me until it started to become noisy.

Where can I get information about an upgrade?

Ruedi

Boardcore
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Boardcore replied on Thu, Nov 29 2018 4:40 PM

Hello Ruedi,

the continuous recording function is called Timeshift and it can be disabled in the menu:

Go to

Recordings (Aufnahmen)
Settings (Aufnahmeeinstellungen)
Timeshift

Choose Timeshift Off (Aus) and store by pressing the Centre button on your remote.

BV 11, BL 8002, BL 4, BR One   •   BS 4, BLC   •  A6   •   M3   •   BS Core, BL 4000

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Thu, Nov 29 2018 4:42 PM

Hi Ruedi,

The manual on the main site has lots of diagrams, but I wouldn't personally trust it to give me enough information. If you are sure about the disk being at fault then replacement should be no more difficult than just removal. Whatever you do there could be formatting and software issues. I would first  seek dealer advice, and hope that they don't just say put in a new module costing xxx.

Graham

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Thu, Nov 29 2018 4:46 PM

Boardcore:

Hello Ruedi,

the continuous recording function is called Timeshift and it can be disabled in the menu:

Go to

Recordings (Aufnahmen)
Settings (Aufnahmeeinstellungen)
Timeshift

Choose Timeshift Off (Aus) and store by pressing the Centre button on your remote.

This sounds like the quick fix Ruedi needs!

Wild Ruedi
Top 500 Contributor
Zürich Switzerland
Posts 102
Bronze Member

FIXED IT!

@boardcore  This was the solution! No hardware issue - just a setting with the remote control and the noise is gone! Thank you so much.

@vikinger  You are right, I was too focused on eliminating the noise by removing the HDD. But now everything is fine. Thank you for the advice. I shall leave the HDD in place: do not disturb a sleeping dog....

I am always impressed, how quick and professional the help is on this Forum. Hope I can be helpful too for someone. 

Regards Ruedi

Boardcore
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Boardcore replied on Thu, Nov 29 2018 5:57 PM

I am glad I could help.

BV 11, BL 8002, BL 4, BR One   •   BS 4, BLC   •  A6   •   M3   •   BS Core, BL 4000

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS