Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

WISA and LG TV's

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb Posted: Wed, Dec 12 2018 9:42 AM

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1544606711

Cant imagine this is bad news, good in fact to see WISA gaining support.

As for sound processing capabilities built in to LG 2019 TV's, i'm not qualified to comment really.

Guess we (if haven't already) need to start thinking about  future without B&O TV's.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

This was expected, after the announcement of the WiSA Ready solution in september:

https://www.dealerscope.com/article/new-wisa-ready-certification-launches-alongside-first-certified-product/

A pre-model was tested a couple of years ago in Struer (with some LG/2016 models).

I would not say that it is bad news - however, you MUST to go wireless.....maybe B&O should start producing extra Receiver 1’s 😉

And you won’t benefit from the B&O audio solutions/engine, the integration of NL and the controlling with a BeoRemote One......

They claim support for Atmos/DTS-X.

With 8 channels I don’t see much support for overhead channels - it might be sufficient for a lot of users, though.

We will be wiser (= wisa) after CES 2019.

MM.

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Wed, Dec 12 2018 10:17 AM

Indeed, useful as an option for more limited setups i.e. an LG TV supplemented by a few B&O speakers.

Otherwise we will have to wait for whatever comes from B&O with respect to sound centres / sound bars / Beosystem 5's etc etc.

At times i think i should change my screens to 4k HDR, but mostly i don't feel any great hurry at all.

I'm well served by what i have at the moment.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
I think it’s great.

People will know what WISA is now apart from the people (generally) on this forum as it will have a wider audience.

Most people I speak to have never heard of it.

If it means more speaker sales to these customers that buy LG TVs - afterall LG ship huge numbers of TVs then that’s a good thing.

I guess this USB device would effectively be like a sound processor ? Obviously more details to come.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Aussie Michael:

If it means more speaker sales to these customers that buy LG TVs - afterall LG ship huge numbers of TVs then that’s a good thing.

I guess this USB device would effectively be like a sound processor ? Obviously more details to come.

1: However, I doubt that many of those will go for the B&O speakers....too expensive!

2: It is a software solution in the (LG)tv’s, that hands over the channels (up to 8) to the dongle - the dongle wiill establish the WiSA/wireless connections.

I can’t imagine that it will he much more than basic multi channel processing - nothing like we know from the audio solution in the BV’s/BeoSystem 4.

We’ll see soon.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Millemissen:

Aussie Michael:

1: However, I doubt that many of those will go for the B&O speakers....too expensive!

Interested costumers will probably go for LG’s own coming WiSA enabled speakers instead.

Ask around.....what the h**k is B&O 🤔

MM

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Millemissen:

2: It is a software solution in the (LG)tv’s, that hands over the channels (up to 8) to the dongle - the dongle wiill establish the WiSA/wireless connections.

I can’t imagine that it will he much more than basic multi channel processing - nothing like we know from the audio solution in the BV’s/BeoSystem 4.

We’ll see soon.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

You never know anyone’s financial position.

Many LG customers I’m sure could afford Beolabs. They just choose not to afford a Beovision. Many people think that a beovision is a waste of money but will happily spend on other speakers.

Look at all those people who have speakers worth double and triple what b&o costs. I’m sure they don’t have beovisions.
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Dec 14 2018 12:45 AM

Aussie Michael:

Many LG customers I’m sure could afford Beolabs. They just choose not to afford a Beovision. Many people think that a beovision is a waste of money but will happily spend on other speakers.

Look at all those people who have speakers worth double and triple what b&o costs. I’m sure they don’t have beovisions.

Yup. Speakers last far longer than TVs. Since 1997 when I got my Beolab 8000s, I've owned 5 different TVs, and still have and listen to the 8000s.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Jeff:

Aussie Michael:

Yup. Speakers last far longer than TVs. Since 1997 when I got my Beolab 8000s, I've owned 5 different TVs, and still have and listen to the 8000s.

I wonder how many years i will have my BL3 for.  Hopefully as many. They are a pleasure to look at. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Aussie Michael:

You never know anyone’s financial position.

That is for sure - wish I really knew my own 🤔

I can’t afford an Eclipse myself - luckily I am very pleased with my BV Avant/2014, so no big deal....

....and I would not change that for an LG tv!

The problem however is, that those who could afford the BeoLabs (you’ll need several for a multichannel setup), have no idea of the existence of Bang & Olufsen.

And if the do - they know that the ‘make expensive design speakers’! Nothing for people ‘with speakers worth douple or triple of what B&O costs’.

I guess most people who do care a bit for better than ‘flat sound’ (and want to spend money there) will go for those that LG soon will offer........probably a ‘wireless soundbar/sub combination’.

When time comes we will see how much impact on the sale of new/newer BeoLabs these WiSA Ready LG tv will have - I have my doubts.

Maybe a new soundbar/soundcenter from B&O will bring more cash into the B&O pockets - but that is another story.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Aussie Michael:

These people will rather go for something like this:

https://www.av-connection.com/?PGr=12368

Something that looks like a real speaker 😉

MM

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS