Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BM4400 FM not working after recap

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Jim
Not Ranked
Nebraska, USA
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Jim Posted: Sun, Dec 23 2018 10:07 PM

I sent my bm4400 to be recapped as I wanted to give it as a Christmas present.  I homed it up this weekend and the FM would not work.  The signal meter never moved and both red lights were lit.  I have contacted the person who did the recap but have not heard back yet.  Does anyone have any pointers that I could pass along to help get this fixed.  Obviously it will not be a present this year!  Thanks

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sun, Dec 23 2018 11:21 PM

Was the Beomaster 4400 fully working before having it recapped?  It sounds like the Beomaster wasn't thoroughly checked out after the capacitors were changed out. 

-sonavor

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member
Beo_Jean replied on Tue, Dec 25 2018 3:26 PM

I second that.

Could be that one or more capacitors has the polarity reversed.  Or, happened to me, some of the leads jumping from the multiplex board to the tuner box are broken inside, visually impossible to see. 

Jim
Not Ranked
Nebraska, USA
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Jim replied on Tue, Dec 25 2018 10:11 PM

Iowa’s asked by the repair person to try and reseat the fm board.  I will try this tomorrow but I don’t have my hopes up too high

Jim
Not Ranked
Nebraska, USA
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Jim replied on Tue, Dec 25 2018 11:52 PM

Yes

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Make sure your friend has reconnected the green lead on the stereo decoder to the correct pin, as shown in the pic below, I made the mistake of connecting to the wrong pin following a recap....click on the pic to see it all

Craig

Jim
Not Ranked
Nebraska, USA
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Jim replied on Thu, Dec 27 2018 2:09 PM

Thank you to everyone who has responded.

--- Was the Beomaster 4400 fully working before having it recapped?
Yes, at least the last time I used it prior to the recap.

--- Make sure your friend has reconnected the green lead on the stereo decoder to the correct pin, as shown in the pic below, I made the mistake of connecting to the wrong pin following a recap.
It appears correct to me based upon your picture.

The work was not done by a friend but b a repair shop here in the United States.  He asked me to be sure the FM card was still properly seated (which it was).
I am waiting to hear back from him as to what we do next.  I am considering contesting the credit card charge, but I understand these are complicated pieces of equipment and want to give him a chance to make things right.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Dec 27 2018 3:57 PM

Jim:

I understand these are complicated pieces of equipment and want to give him a chance to make things right.

Beomaster 4400 is not particularly complicated. It's a good and solid construction, built by the book. - The good book.

They are only considered complicated pieces because there's only a few people left with the skills to repair it.
The younger generations will not learn to repair anything. They will have to accept to throw away and buy new.

The job must still be under warranty, so instead of "messing around" inside, I suggest you wait for their reply and suggestions - and
eventually return it for repairs under warranty.

Martin

Jim
Not Ranked
Nebraska, USA
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Jim replied on Thu, Dec 27 2018 7:59 PM

Thanks Martin.  I wish you lived here in the U.S. so I could have you fixit!

I have heard back and it was suggested that a new part be sent and I put it in or I ship it back and have them do it.  Since I lack the skills I will be shipping it back.  I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
Posts 780
Bronze Member
Dillen:

The younger generations will not learn to repair anything. They will have to accept to throw away and buy new.

On a side note, this is changing around my part of the world. People much younger than me are keeping a small local shoe repair shop open by buying repairable shoes and getting them fixed, teenagers saving to get their trendy boots resoled. There are local bicycle repair classes that are always full. I bought a small truck load of broken tube based audio gear and sold much of the extras I didn’t want locally and every person I sold to was in their 20’s and most knew exactly what they were doing, even tube based HAM radios have a younger generational following here. Instagram is full of pictures of young people building furniture in old style ways or repairing what the older generation has thrown away. It’s trendy and cool to DIY and be sustainable. My young wife picks her new kitchen appliances largely based on if they are intended to be repairable rather than disposable.

I have hope for the future and for the future of Beomaster 4400s around the world.
Jimgunzelman
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member

I returned the unit to the repair shop and he said that the FM board was not seated properly.  I either checked the wrong board or I am incompetent when it comes to electron repair!  I got the unit back and it it now works great.  I am looking forward to it going another 30 years!

Thanks everyone for your input.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS