Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Choosing my first Beogram and Speakers

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

CJM1
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Bronze Member
CJM1 Posted: Wed, Dec 26 2018 8:31 PM

Hi everyone!

I have recently started getting back into vinyl. The sound it has produces has bitten me again and its just a totally different way of listening to music. Especially in this busy world of streaming.I have been searching about after having a couple hours read up about which one to get. And I have found a couple very nice 3300's for sale. Both with MMC4 cartridges 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bang-Olifsen-B-O-Beogram-3300-WITH-MMC4-Cartridge-Excellent-Condition/302994136829?hash=item468bdb9efd:g:0BAAAOSwu3dbwLF9:rk:29:pf:0

https://www.quality-dream-audio.co.uk/category-34/16051105.html

Which brings me to my first question. I believe one has a built in pre amp (RIAA PRE AMP)  and the other one doesn't. Or were the 3300 fitted with them as standard...?

If so, I take it a couple of Beovox speakers will simply plug into the back? Or will I need a sound stage or external amp for this deck to work?

Which brings me onto speakers. I have been having a search and came across loads of Beovox's for sale. Some from £40 to £200. The CX100 and CX50's pop up quite a lot. I take it these will work with a 3300? And if anyone knows of any other Beovox and give suggestions that would be much obliged!

Hope everyone had a good Christmas. 

M next curio 

Brian
Not Ranked
California
Posts 72
Bronze Member
Brian replied on Thu, Dec 27 2018 5:01 AM

It really depends on what you're trying to achieve. From your post, it looks as if you just want to play records on a Beogram and listen to the music on some small speakers. As far as I know all the Beograms are just component record players, and you will need at least an amplifier to hear the music on speakers. The amplifier and speakers can be B&O or some combination of B&O and non- B&O.

RIAA: My layman explanation is records are not good at producing certain sound wavelengths. The sound cut onto a record is distorted, to take advantage of the wavelengths that a record can reproduce and eliminate the ones that it can't. The only purpose of the RIAA Pre-amp is to remove that distortion and bring the audio-signal back to the original range. It doesn't produce the power required to drive speakers.

Some amplifiers have a built-in RIAA pre-amp. If you get a Beogram without the pre-amp, just make sure your amplifier has one. If you already have an amplifier without an RIAA pre-amp, then you can either find a Beogram with the RIAA pre-amp built-in, or you can buy an external pre-amp that you install between the Boegram and the amplifier.

There's a million ways to mix and match components. It all just comes down to what you like best, as you're the one who's going to have to listen to it.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Thu, Dec 27 2018 8:26 AM
Hi,

One of my favourites is the old Beocenter 3500, which in effect comprises a Beomaster 3000 and a Beogram 3000 in one package.

This makes beautiful sounds, especially if you add up a nice pair of Beovox S45-2 to the equation.

Oh, and that lid is just beautiful too!

I use an SP12 cartridge.

Jacques

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS