Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beocord 2000 cassette, head mechanism does not move

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

stevehimself
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
stevehimself Posted: Thu, Feb 21 2019 6:35 AM

I recently got a Beocord 2000 for free, without belts. I just replaced the belts using a thread on this site as a reference. That all seems to be in order however when i press play, there is a click but nothing moves, the tape head mechanism does not move upwards to meet the tape and the gears do not spin. I also do not hear any motor sounds. Just the click upon pressing play.

My suspicion is either some resistor is shot or perhaps a motor has gone bad, but I am completely new to this device (philips reel to reels are more my wheelhouse).

Any advice?

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
Posts 764
Gold Member

This is quite a clever mechanism,but very robust and reliable normally.

When you press play,the main motor is started and a solenoid engages the mechanism in a sequence to move the head and drive roller forward,and also to establish drive to the take up turntable etc.

The click that you hear must be the solenoid actuating,so it seems that the main motor is not running?

This could be due to a seized motor,or is it possible that you haven't fitted the drive belts correctly?

This would jam the mechanism.

Are the belts the correct ones,ie not too loose or too tight.Using the correct belts is crucial for a successful repair.

A full kit of the correct belts is available from forum member Dillen.

Nick

stevehimself
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member

Thanks for your reply. The only thing i can say with confidence is that i bought the correct belt replacement kit.

The three belts all fit nicely where i believe they belong:

...the third, tiny belt being on the front side.

I definitely do not hear a motor even try to start though, just the solenoid as you mentioned. So maybe it is the motor? Not sure how to diagnose that. 

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
Posts 764
Gold Member

The belts look ok,but I notice that the original belts must have "gone native"and returned to goo,which is  common,and often causes the motor and mech to jam.(isn't it terrible stuff to get off your fingers too?)

There is a safety resistor to protect the power supply if this happens,it's R8(4.7ohm) and it's the large resistor near to the left hand side of the heat sink along the rear of the machine.

Check to see if it seems burnt?

It supplies the voltage to the solenoids too,so the fact that you can hear a click suggests that it hasn't blown completely,but if burnt may be stopping the full supply voltage to the motor and mech?

Otherwise,does the motor spin freely when you turn the capstan.

Can you measure the voltage supply at the motor terminals(12v)?

Nick

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Feb 24 2019 9:00 PM

You should clean off all the old junk before installing new belts.
The new square belt is soaked in gooey stuff from the old belts. It won't transfer much torque like that.
Patience, IPA, pipe cleaners and cotton buds.

As Sonavor says - check the voltage across the motor leads. If the old belts tangled up and seized the motor (very likely by the looks of it), the
power supply will have been overloaded. Often a simple fix, - but not always.

Martin

polarityinversion
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member

I wanted to continue this thread because I have the exact same problem. Belts replaced, solenoids clicking, but the capstan motor is not spinning and ofc the play head does not move into place as a result.

Resistor R8 does not look damaged from the top side of the board, but I haven't checked the underside yet nor can I fit my leads in there to get a reading from the top. The capstan motor reads 15V across the terminals. The motor was initially seized and not able to spin at all, but a little force broke it loose and I can now turn it manually. Still does not spin automatically.

Is R8 still the most likely culprit? What else should I look for?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS