Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

B&O 150 Cartridge

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Macquid
Not Ranked
Geneva, Switzerland
Posts 16
Bronze Member
Macquid Posted: Tue, Nov 27 2012 11:56 AM

I've unsuccessfully searched the web for information about the Bang & Olufsen 150 Cartridge. To the best of my knowledge it dates from the 1950s.

Can any of the B&O experts here provide some information about this component and/or point me at an online resource about it?

Thank you.

Friendly regards,

Macquid

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 12:42 PM

I don't recall that number (350).
If you tell us a little more about it, what it is, what it is/does, maybe we can help you.

Martin

Macquid
Not Ranked
Geneva, Switzerland
Posts 16
Bronze Member
Macquid replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 12:48 PM

Yes, I looked again with a magnifying glass and it's a B&O 150 rather than 350 as I previously misread...

Macquid
Not Ranked
Geneva, Switzerland
Posts 16
Bronze Member
Macquid replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 12:56 PM

I purchased it because it's similar in appearance to the cartridge (marked Jensen) from my AMI IMA Jensen jukebox.

But the housing of this B&O 150 cartridge is made entirely of transparent plastic, revealing the interior mechanism...

Dennis
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 627
Bronze Member
Dennis replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 1:02 PM

A picture says more than thousand words. Smile

- Dennis

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 1:24 PM

Sounds like a pickup needle for a radiogram.
Some came in small cylindrical plastic boxes with a B&O logo and partnumber on top.
I suggest you ask Leslie. With more than 40 years of experience in matters B&O, he will know it all and be able to tell you much more.

Martin

Macquid
Not Ranked
Geneva, Switzerland
Posts 16
Bronze Member

Have had some difficulty with the image upload procedure... Hope this works Smile

Macquid
Not Ranked
Geneva, Switzerland
Posts 16
Bronze Member
Macquid replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 1:33 PM

Thank you Martin. Perhaps Leslie will see this thread and "chime in"...

Friendly regards,

Alan

Macquid
Not Ranked
Geneva, Switzerland
Posts 16
Bronze Member
Macquid replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 8:37 AM

Update:

Didn't want to manipulate the cartridge unnecessarily so I didn’t previously remove it from its box... Now I gathered the courage to do so and examined it. There is a thin gold label affixed under the protective metal cover, just above the stylus, marked “B&O 350” (with the & over the smaller sized “o”). My “sharp eyed” daughter originally had told me that the text on the box bottom contained the term B&O 350; but when I checked later I thought she had misread 150… However the gold label on the cartridge definitely does say “B&O 350” and - though difficult to read - I now agree that  the box bottom probably does say B & O  350,  NOT B & O  150.

The text on the box bottom, which I initially “discounted” as simple promotional copy, states “This is your new B&O   350 cartridge, custom built and thoroughly tested at the famous Bang & Olufsen Laboratories, Struer, Denmark. You should test it too when purchasing it. All B&O cartridges have standard RETMA guarantee for six months. Your dealer has a pickup arm with B & O mounting hardware. In less than three seconds you can snap your cartridge into your dealer’s demonstration unit. B & O cartridges are easy to mount. Instructions and mounting screws are inside the box. Fenton Company 15 Moore Street New York 4, N.Y.” 

Also, looking at the mechanism I can see a large horizontal coil and hence the cartridge is magnetic, rather than crystal as I initially thought it would be. 

Finally, especially since nobody appears to have immediately recognized this model B&O cartridge, I'd be very grateful if the B&O history experts here still could tell me something about the place of the B&O 350 cartridge within the greater B&O story...

Thank you.

Friendly regards,

Alan

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS