Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

2 x Beolab 7.4 as stereo speakers

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 1 Follower

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
Posts 1,404
Bronze Member
BenSA Posted: Mon, May 13 2019 12:36 PM

Hi

I have 2 Beolab 7.4 speakers, I find the sound is really good. I want to use them as stereo speakers instead of a pair of Beolab 4000's that I have set up in one of my rooms. If I only feed the R signal to one and the L signal to the other would it work? I am just wondering because of the filtering of the sound due to them being mono speakers?

Thanks

RaMaBo
Top 150 Contributor
near Munich
Posts 626
Gold Member
RaMaBo replied on Mon, May 13 2019 1:05 PM

Hi,

there's no filtering for the mono speaker. It's just adding the left and the right channel to the sum ( =mono).

It will work with two BL 7.4 as steero speakers, if you feed them with a special powerlink cable: the one cable should only feed the left channel while the other one feeds only the right channel signal.

Normal powerlink cables feed both channels !!! Using a normal powerlink cable would give you a great sound in double mono!  Surprise

Simple way is to ask Steve from Sounds Heavenly ( tripple link at the end of the side) to make such a cable for you Smile. or you fiddle around yourself Confused

Ralph-Marcus

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
Posts 1,404
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Mon, May 13 2019 1:10 PM

RaMaBo:

Hi,

there's no filtering for the mono speaker. It's just adding the left and the right channel to the sum ( =mono).

It will work with two BL 7.4 as steero speakers, if you feed them with a special powerlink cable: the one cable should only feed the left channel while the other one feeds only the right channel signal.

Normal powerlink cables feed both channels !!! Using a normal powerlink cable would give you a great sound in double mono!  Surprise

Simple way is to ask Steve from Sounds Heavenly ( tripple link at the end of the side) to make such a cable for you Smile. or you fiddle around yourself Confused

Hi 

Thanks for that! Glad to hear that there isn't any special filtering, 

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
Posts 711
Bronze Member
BEOVOX141 replied on Mon, May 13 2019 2:06 PM

Hi Bensa

The good news, there is absolutely NO need for special cables, just two regular powerlink will do!

The 7-4 sums the L-R signal and thus creates a mono signal from stereo. In you case simply assign L and R correctly. make sure to use the NONE option for the unused channel in the powerlink set.

The bad news, You will be disappointment, listening to music. The 7-4 is tuned towards dialog, at which it truly excels,. Expect for the BL10 it might just be the supreme king of center speakers, but not for music!

They can be used as surround or rear speaker in a 5.1 / 7.1 setup, since those channels are limited anyway.

A suggestion for upgrading the BL4000 would be the 7-1,2 or 6, which I run in several stereo setups!

Truly awesome, secondhand they run as little as 500-1000dkk in Denmark. Proving that the world really is messed up. 6 drivers. 750w Icepower, cast aluminum chassis, and people still prefer a plastic mono BT box they can talk to. A mono configuration will require a custom cable though.

Best of luck with the upgrade Smile

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Thanks RaMaBo!

Yes, I can provide specially wired Powerlink cables to send left audio to the left speaker and right audio to the right speaker (ie. audio summed to both channels) so that 2 x Beolab 7-4 speakers will work correctly as a stereo pair.  Please feel free to get in touch via my sponsor link below if you would like more details.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
Posts 711
Bronze Member
BEOVOX141 replied on Mon, May 13 2019 5:37 PM

Hi Steve

Please elaborate, the 7-4 is already summing the left and right signal, and provided you interface to a B&O...

...and this is where I dawns on me!

I am doing this on a Beosystem/Beovision where i can assign my way out of what does need to be a special cable if its an audio product.

That cable would work with the rest of the Beolab 7 series as well. Thanks for making me rethink Smile

Still not a good proposal using a 7-4 as a music speaker though.

Input summing on BL7-4

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Beovox141,

I make a cable that sends left audio to both the left and right pins in the cable that goes to the left speaker.  This means that when the left speaker sums the two input signals, it plays the correct left channel audio, instead of combining the left and right audio sounds.

The same process is used to send only the right channel sound to the right speaker.  This way, the two speakers can be used as a stereo pair, with excellent results.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Rob - Danish AV
Top 200 Contributor
Melbourne
Posts 376
Bronze Member

BEOVOX141:

The bad news, You will be disappointment, listening to music. The 7-4 is tuned towards dialog, at which it truly excels,. Expect for the BL10 it might just be the supreme king of center speakers, but not for music!

What difference is there with a BL7.4, BL10 & the speaker in a BV9? Same tweeter and driver. the BV9 would use the same volume of air as the 7.4, does the BL10 use the volume in the cabinet for better sound?

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
Posts 711
Bronze Member
BEOVOX141 replied on Tue, May 14 2019 6:12 AM

Rob - Danish AV:
does the BL10 use the volume in the cabinet for better sound?

Good question, short answer,- YES! 

The BL 10 does go significantly deeper than the BL7-4. It has more than twice the volume and the lower bound is specified at 45Hz vs. 50 for the BL 7-4.

And those 5Hz makes quite a difference. Where the BL7-4 has virtually no bass output, the BL-10 does. Besides the BL-10 carries the triangular signature design of the AV9000, and its built like a tank. The mount is the most complex, insane design I have ever seen and must have cost a fortune to manufacture. I am not sure whether or not it was intentional, but it does fit on a BV 7-40 or 55 stand with only 18 mm to spare if you want to be able to open the DVD tray, pretty cool.

Much to my surprise it turns out that a lot of BV7 setups was sold and operated with the BL7-4 as the only speaker,- go figure.

Another oddity with the BL7-4 is the fact that the sensitivity at least with the BS3, clearly is way off, its simply to loud, and the fact that the centre channel cannot be adjusted is slightly annoying.

Both speakers are outstanding as centres and the lens allows for the entire audience to hear every single detail in the dialog, which in most other setups are muffled. I cant help considering the claims that the Avant or Eclipse carries: "The world best TV sound". Simply not true since they absolutely lack in the centre department. I dont care what anybody says, the centre channel cannot be emulated or substituted, it has to be a single point speaker!  

As to the BV-9, it has the specifications of the BL-10 in a BL7-4 sized box, which clearly indicates that the BL7-4 was very much tuned as midrange, dialog speaker. On top of that all three are closed box systems, again leaning towards the properties of a centre speaker. Usually B&O prefers a 2 way bass reflex system, in a 4-5 liter box.

Why B&O decided to abandon the line of what I consider the best centre speaker ever made, is simply beyond me.

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
Posts 711
Bronze Member
BEOVOX141 replied on Tue, May 14 2019 6:17 AM

Hi Steve.

Same way I did the "Stereo/Mono" cables for the BL7-1 and 2. If we really want to go into the nerdy territory, the summing should be done with a couple of small resistors i.e. 100 ohms, but for at least one of my cables I was lazy and just did a short. Whistle

stampfki
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 138
Bronze Member
stampfki replied on Tue, May 14 2019 7:53 AM

Good explanation!

In my 5.1 setup with Beolab 20 as fronts, the 7.4 is superb. 

But I have to admit, that I have never listened to a beolab 10

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
Posts 1,404
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Tue, May 14 2019 9:25 AM

I just assumed that because the Beolab 7.4 used newer technology with the acoustic lens that it would be better than the Beolab 4000's. 

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
Posts 711
Bronze Member
BEOVOX141 replied on Tue, May 14 2019 9:39 AM

Hi BenSA

I would say absolutely no as a full range speaker, BUT try it out, you might have different preferences than me. Try swapping one first (no need for special cables for a test), that way you can clearly tell the difference.

The BL 4000 are very capable speakers, and technically they are identical to the speakers in the CRT Avant, and i have yet to hear anyone complain about the sound in those TVs.

Let us know what YOU think Smile

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
Posts 1,404
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Tue, May 14 2019 9:55 AM

BEOVOX141:

Hi BenSA

I would say absolutely no as a full range speaker, BUT try it out, you might have different preferences than me. Try swapping one first (no need for special cables for a test), that way you can clearly tell the difference.

The BL 4000 are very capable speakers, and technically they are identical to the speakers in the CRT Avant, and i have yet to hear anyone complain about the sound in those TVs.

Let us know what YOU think Smile

I have tested them and they sounded quite nice but I do feel perhaps the 4000's sound a bit fuller. I'll stick with the 4000's and will find a use for the 7.4's somewhere else. Thanks for all the feedback though. 

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
Just add a subwoofer Big Smile

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
Posts 1,404
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Tue, May 14 2019 3:18 PM

leosgonewild:
Just add a subwoofer Big Smile

Actually I didn't find the bass bad at all! Thought maybe it was lacking in the midrange. 

Beozip
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 368
Bronze Member
Beozip replied on Wed, Aug 25 2021 9:16 AM

Steve at Sounds Heavenly:

Thanks RaMaBo!

Yes, I can provide specially wired Powerlink cables to send left audio to the left speaker and right audio to the right speaker (ie. audio summed to both channels) so that 2 x Beolab 7-4 speakers will work correctly as a stereo pair.  Please feel free to get in touch via my sponsor link below if you would like more details.

Kind regards, Steve.

Hi Steve,

I have send a mail to your sponsor link.

Thank you

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Beozip,

Thanks for your email.  I'm sorry that I can't offer these cables at the moment, as the store is exceptionally busy at the moment as so many people around the world are working from home during Covid-19.  I hope to be able to offer custom cables again at some point in the future.  Thanks for your patience.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Beozip
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 368
Bronze Member

Hi Steve,

sorry but patience is not my first nature. Wink

So I go to my dealer and he tried to make these cable for me ....... but only a big "hum" comes out. The cable goes back.

I found an other dealer in Germany. Very kindly and I could talk to him in my motherlanguage about my problem.

This dealer make a special Powerlink Y-Splitter cable for me and solved the problem.

Thank you Smile

Beozip
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 368
Bronze Member

backside ....

The dealer has this Ebaystore ....

https://www.ebay.de/str/superelektrostore

loureed5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 171
Gold Member