Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beocord 2000 belt replacement and repairs

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

bradutsuciu
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
bradutsuciu Posted: Mon, May 20 2019 8:46 AM

Hello,

I just acquired a Beomaster 2000, receiving a Beocord 2000 as a bonus, with the mention that the Beocord has mechanical issues. I suspected worn belts. Accordingly, after opening it, at first glance I noticed belt pieces. After trying to remove themI found out that the belts were not only torn, but melted. I suspect they were severely torn and then the beocord was kept in a hot dry storage. But this probably doesn't matter now.

My first question is if it's ok to clean the rubber I can't get out with tweezers using isopropyl alcohol. 

Next, can I still find belt replacements here? I saw most of the 2000 posts are pretty old.

Third - after cleaning the belt residues, could i try using some elastic bands instead of belts only for a very short time to check if the mechanism works or I risk damaging it? Considering the potential shipping costs I prefer ordering all parts at once if I need more than belts.

I will attach pictures as soon as I figure out how to insert them. :)

Thank you

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Mon, May 20 2019 5:10 PM

Hi bradutsuciu,

I'm not as experienced in vintage items as some members here so I would first advise you to wait for some sort of confirmation on what I say.

I did change various tape belts on diverse machines. you can take out the remains and clean the pulleys with isopropyl alcohol. Use Q-tips and proceed with caution. take care to not spill alcohol everywhere and have a tissue to clean it if it happens and let it dry well.

As for replacing temporary the belt with a rubber band? i did it various time too, just to check there's no other issue with the deck, before investing to much on it. As long as the rubber band is more or less the same length and not putting too much strain on the pulleys, I don't think it should be a problem.

Over time, the rubber bands will dry and break so it's just a temporary fix.
Try to use the remains of the old belts if you can to guess his size.
If you can't you will maybe pay it a little more to find one by the reference but you'll be sure to have the right one.

Hope this helps.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

For belts contact Martin (Dillen on this forum) he can also provide caps and lamps kits all kits and belts comes with installation instructions  

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

bradutsuciu
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member

Hi matador. Thanks a lot for your clarifications. I'm only considering a test run with elastic but I couldn't find instructions about how to change the second belt so I'll probably for the original onses+instructions.

bradutsuciu
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member

Søren Mexico:

For belts contact Martin (Dillen on this forum) he can also provide caps and lamps kits all kits and belts comes with installation instructions  

Thanks a lot, I will contact him.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS