Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Need recommendations for quality restoration services for Beo 5500 system components

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Couldbfishin
Not Ranked
Houston, TX USA
Posts 16
Bronze Member
Couldbfishin Posted: Wed, May 29 2019 4:15 AM

Hello,

I have a Beo 5500 system that needs refurbishment/restoration. I wouldn't mind sending the different components to different shops if that gets the best work, or saves money. I also have a non-working Beo 5500 system for parts, if that helps.

I would like to start with the turntable, receiver, and the table top remote. And, then the CD and cassette decks.

Do you have any recommendations? Advice?

Chris
Not Ranked
Oakland, CA USA
Posts 36
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Thu, Jun 27 2019 3:26 AM

I have the same question.

--Chris, in California

Schletti82
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Bronze Member

I do not know any stores for that, but I do things like that. Nearly every b&o equipment.

martin from the Germany is good for any questions too.

so if you like to try with every support we can give you here, feel welcome to ask.

or maybe you ship it to Germany.

Couldbfishin
Not Ranked
Houston, TX USA
Posts 16
Bronze Member

If you are willing to  help, and others are also willing, I would enjoy learning to do some of my own repairs.

I have accumulated 3-4 non-working pieces of every component of the BeoSystem 5500. Turntables, CD players, Cassette Players, Receivers and Remote Controls.

My first question is simple. Is the 5500 system a good system to put this much time and effort into? Are the later systems more desirable?

I bought the first BeoSystem 5500 at an estate sale here in Houston. I didn't know much about B&O equipment but I liked the way it looked. To my surprise it worked perfectly when I got it home and set it up. Most of it has continued to work through the past five years or so, since I bought it. I think the desk top remote control stopped working, and I bought another on eBay. It is working.

The original system didn't include a turntable, so I bought a 5500 turntable on eBay and use it with this system. I have also purchased a couple of used cartridges, numbers 3 and 1.

And, during that five years or so, I have bought additional pieces of the BeoSystem 5500 to use if the original components fail. Unfortunately, most of what I find on eBay does not work.

I have accumulated lots of catalogues, manuals, and schematic drawings for the BeoSystem 5500. So, I believe I have all that I need to do repairs, except for the help understanding the schematic drawings and how to do the investigative work to identify the problems. My soldering skills are marginal right now, but will improve with practice.

So, my first question- Is the BeoSystem 5500 worth putting time and money into? Compared to other B&O systems?

If so, I would like to start with a turntable that is acting up. I ordered two new sets of belts and I am ready to work on it. I can post photos and describe problems if you can help with direction.

I live in Houston, TX. I am retired from the Oil and Gas Industry and managed operations and sales organizations for most of my 35 year career. I have an electronics workroom upstairs in my home. It is my 'man cave'. I will start with a photo of my working system in my study and then as I get started on the turntable, I will take and post photos.

Will this be part of the open threads on the B&O World website, or will this be a private conversation? What do you think?

My on line name is Couldbfishin, and Gary in real life.

Thanks Schletti82.

Well- I cannot figure out how to post photos. This won't work if we cannot post photos. So my first question should be "Can I post photos and how do I do it?"

Chris
Not Ranked
Oakland, CA USA
Posts 36
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Sat, Jun 29 2019 10:10 PM

I think you could be the USA B&O hero...give it a try, practice soldiering, I may be your first customer. 

:)

Chris
Not Ranked
Oakland, CA USA
Posts 36
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Sat, Jun 29 2019 10:15 PM

I uploaded a picture of my dog to the "Media" section. Now I am going to try and use the "insert media" button here to see if it will show up in this forum thread.

Chris
Not Ranked
Oakland, CA USA
Posts 36
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Sat, Jun 29 2019 10:16 PM

There you go, it seem to have worked loading a picture.

Schletti82
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Bronze Member
Schletti82 replied on Sun, Jun 30 2019 12:32 PM

We can do this here on general forum or private. Up to you.

so my name is Markus and i‘m from Munich Germany.

up to your questions.

if it make sense putting in money and time in your Beosystem 5500? Defenitly yes. It is one of the best systems bang&olufsen ever built. The newer ones 6500 and 7000 are nearly the same expect of the possibility to control active speakers via powerlink and the built in RIAA in the turntables.

the RIAA Phono Preamp of the 5500 system is built in the Beomaster, and if there is a need to control active speakers there are possibilities to do this, or even update it with din sockets for that.

The sound quality of the systems are great and I would say the same. Later systems like Beosound Ouverture, 2300,3000 or beosound 9000 or what ever systems they have built are in quality and sound not even nearly the same as the old beosystems.

I have three of those systems, Beosystem 5500 white. Beosystem 5500 Upgradet to a 7000 because of the use of a Beolab 2 and two 8000 on it.

and a Beosystem 7000 in white.

and a few others of bang&olufsen TVs and stereo equipment 😉

so give it a try, and i‘m Really shure, with our help you built a gorgeous system.

yes it will take some time but more is not the problem.

after renovation and make some things better than it was built from bang&olufsen original the system will blow you away😁

Schletti82
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Bronze Member

Wounder my self if you do not need any help?

Edgy01
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member
Edgy01 replied on Mon, Dec 28 2020 9:08 AM

For a minute your input here sounds like what I could have written! I also have a 5500 system that I have done some preliminary work to when I get a free minute, but my time is also divided up with many other activities.

Recently, my 5500 CD player has been playing intermittently.  Could it just use a good cleaning of the sensor?  Thoughts?

i have two of the large D-cell powered ‘remotes’ to the 5500 but they are also a bit challenging to keep running.  In the meantime, my volume is stuck at a default of ‘24’

dan

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS