Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Bang&Olufsen App freezing - what can I do?

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

HH1971
Not Ranked
Posts 58
Bronze Member
HH1971 Posted: Fri, Jul 5 2019 6:37 PM

I own a Beosound Shape, a Beosound 35 and two Beosound 1.

I have currently some problems with my Internet provider. The DSL connection is not working stable. So far so bad.

My home network is perfectly stable. No problems to access my NAS, printers etc. As always I tried to use the Bang&Olufsen App to stream music from my NAS / DNLA server to my Beosounds.

But the Bang&Olufsen App freezes after opening. No error message nothing, just freezing.
When I use cellular instead of wifi at my iPad the Bang&Olufsen App works normal, but then I do not have any access to my Beosounds and NAS.

What (where ?) do I have to adjust in the Bang&Olufsen App, so that it works without internet in my home network?

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Jul 5 2019 9:32 PM
HH1971:

What (where ?) do I have to adjust in the Bang&Olufsen App, so that it works without internet in my home network?

You will not be able to use the B&O app when you are on cellular. The app require WiFi to access the devices and your NAS.

It’s confusing that you earlier in your post says that it works when the phone is on cellular.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sat, Jul 6 2019 8:34 AM
I think what HH1971 means it that the App seems unusable when his Internet connection is in trouble while his LAN works perfectly.

This is possible as the app looks for information in B&O Cloud for some operations but it should not prevent the management of products.

If it is the case, it’s a point to escalate to B&O.

I’ll see what I can simulate here

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

HH1971
Not Ranked
Posts 58
Bronze Member
HH1971 replied on Sat, Jul 6 2019 2:07 PM

Thank you very much for the fast help and answers, really great Forum. And sorry for my confusing wording. 

My problem is, that the Bang&Olufsen App is freezing and not usable. I guess it is because my home network has no internet connection. But why do I need a internet connection? My home network is stable and I have access to my NAS and to my Beosounds without problems. So everything should work, but unfortunately the Bang&Olufsen App does not work. And I do not understand why, there is no error message displayed within the app nothing, just freezing of the app.

And I would expect, that the B&O App is working! Why should I need an internet connection? For deezer streaming OK, but for access to my NAS ?!?

I am search for setting within the App to turn off internet connection. But unfortunately I do not find it. And I hope that somebody can tell me how to manage it.

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
Posts 711
Bronze Member

HH1971:
But why do I need a internet connection?

That is indeed a very good question with wide implications. I could make some qualified guesswork but i would rather wait for some qualified answers Big Smile

HH1971
Not Ranked
Posts 58
Bronze Member
HH1971 replied on Sun, Jul 21 2019 7:48 PM

Any ideas why I need internet to use the Bang&Olufsen App within my home network?
Perhaps somebody from B&O can explain it?

mm08642
Not Ranked
Posts 42
Bronze Member
mm08642 replied on Sun, Jul 28 2019 6:14 PM

HH1971:
Perhaps somebody from B&O can explain it?

I will give you a answer, because B&O unfortunately seems too busy to care for their customers.

Don’t worry, B&O only want’s to watch and control you all the time. Who knows what you are going to do with their loudspeakers when B&O is not watching you? B&O anyway knows best what is good for you. So it is better big brother is watching you, don’t worry! It is only in your best interest.

Additionally they are earning too less money with the B&O loudspeakers sold, just look at their poor share price. So they really need your privat data additionally! Somehow companies have to make money,  and one way is to collect your privat data (certainly following EU data privacy rights). And when you do not give them your privat data, because you do not have internet access, please understand, that you are not allowed to use their high professional best in class Bang & Olufsen App. Just look at their great rating at the Apple App Store. There is not one customer who gave the B&O App 0 stars. So everybody must be happy with the world best Multi-Room App. So nothing to change nothing to optimize for B&O.

HH1971
Not Ranked
Posts 58
Bronze Member
HH1971 replied on Sun, Aug 4 2019 8:21 PM

I do not criticise B&O because it collects my privat data (in difference to mm08642 or many negative comments in the Apple App Store). When they need my data to optimise their products, that is OK for me.

But what is happening in case of insolvency?

Looking at the low stock value and the high cash burning rate it is a realistic scenario, that Bang & Olufsen will follow Loewe into bankruptcy in near future.
Are my B&O loudspeakers and headphones suddenly useless in this case? Because B&O has to turn off its internet server and I will have no working B&O App and no access anymore to my expensive B&O equipment?

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 303
Bronze Member

HH1971:

I do not criticise B&O because it collects my privat data (in difference to mm08642 or many negative comments in the Apple App Store). When they need my data to optimise their products, that is OK for me.

But what is happening in case of insolvency?

Looking at the low stock value and the high cash burning rate it is a realistic scenario, that Bang & Olufsen will follow Loewe into bankruptcy in near future.
Are my B&O loudspeakers and headphones suddenly useless in this case? Because B&O has to turn off its internet server and I will have no working B&O App and no access anymore to my expensive B&O equipment?

No worries about bankruptcy. If you keep products more than a few years they probably won't support them, anyway. BTW when it comes to private data B&O is not your problem, but hackers that might get inside the B&O network could be. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

The main purpose of the Bang & Olufsen app is to control sources (on different devices) that are internet based....unless you choose to use it solely for your own local offline (NAS based) collection.

In that case you are a rather unique user of the app.

Which does not mean that you are the only one - but it is definitely not the usercase that B&O thought of when creating the app.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

HH1971
Not Ranked
Posts 58
Bronze Member
HH1971 replied on Sun, Aug 18 2019 6:41 PM

In my eyes it is a question of professional programming not a question of a use case. Considering the price B&O asks for their products, I expect a professional programmed B&O app not a cheap amateur version. The app should handle errors and not just freeze, when there is no internet connection. At least I would expect an error message „no internet connection possible“ or „page can not be loaded“ instead of freezing after 2 to 6 minutes with WLAN but without internet connection. For example the Deezer app is able to display a message and you are not wondering what is going on. Even better is Plex (it required an internet connection for registration, too) but during my 3 days internet failure I could use the app without any limitations for my local content.

The ONLY app on my iPhone / iPad was the B&O App that was not able to handle this kind of problem. When it would be an amateur app from somebody who is working in his free time on it, OK. Sorry, but for a professional company in the high price segment that is a NO GO!

Looking at the Apple app store ratings, these are almost entirely negative. It seems that I am not the only one who is maximum frustrated from the quality / functionality of the B&O app. It would be interesting what an official B&O representative is thinking about this situation. And if there is a chance in near future that something will change ?!?

HH1971
Not Ranked
Posts 58
Bronze Member
HH1971 replied on Mon, Aug 26 2019 8:24 PM

The new version 2.7 is released. But the bug that courses a freezing app (after 3 to 6 minutes when there is WLAN / LAN connection to B&O products but no Internet connection) is not solved.

Instead „very important“ issues are implemented, like round instead of squared artist pictures and left-justified instead centered captions.

WoW that is really the correct priority, wasting time and money for non-sense changes nobody needs. But leaving B&O customers with their problems in the rain! 

No surprise that B&O is losing so much revenue. I cannot recommend to buy any B&O product anymore.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS