Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 5500 tone arm lowers too soon

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 0 Followers

Brammie
Not Ranked
Netherlands
Posts 7
Bronze Member
Brammie Posted: Tue, Sep 24 2019 3:48 PM

Hello, 

De tone arm of my Beogram 5500 lowers too soon and the needle will not find a groove but slide back off the record. I did not have this problem before, it started suddenly.

Does anybody have an idea what might be causing this. Maybe some sensor for the tone arm to know when to lower itself is broken or...? 

I searched high and low for an answer but can't find it.

Hope to be playing records again soon!

MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
Posts 1,106
Bronze Member

I had the same problem with my Beogram 6500.  Here's a link to the post.  You'll need to upgrade your Beoworld membership to access the technical manual.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Sep 25 2019 6:50 AM

The hook for the carriage wire is about to break off.
Repair this and readjust the excentric for the set-down point.

Martin

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Wed, Sep 25 2019 8:06 AM

Brammie:

Hello, 

De tone arm of my Beogram 5500 lowers too soon and the needle will not find a groove but slide back off the record. I did not have this problem before, it started suddenly.

Does anybody have an idea what might be causing this. Maybe some sensor for the tone arm to know when to lower itself is broken or...? 

I searched high and low for an answer but can't find it.

Hope to be playing records again soon!

As Dillen says….

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/34517/254593.aspx#254593

/Weebyx

Brammie
Not Ranked
Netherlands
Posts 7
Bronze Member

I took the top of and see this. You mean that little hook that holds the wire and spring shouldnt' be laying flat?

And should i fix it as on photo here? (with bolt and nut) https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/34517/254593.aspx#254593

And what is the 'excentric' ?

Thanks again.,

W.Frankenberg / Gandalf
Top 500 Contributor
Heilbronn / Germany
Posts 290
Bronze Member

Brammie:

(with bolt and nut) https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/34517/254593.aspx#254593

And what is the 'excentric' 

Hi,

the black round plastic around which the rope is led is an eccentric two adjust the tonearm setup point!

wilfried

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Wed, Sep 25 2019 2:06 PM

Brammie:

I took the top of and see this. You mean that little hook that holds the wire and spring shouldnt' be laying flat?

And should i fix it as on photo here? (with bolt and nut) https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/34517/254593.aspx#254593

And what is the 'excentric' ?

Thanks again.,

Exactly, the tap is broken. I have fixed quite a few with nut/bolt method. Since the bolt is a bit thicker than the plastic tap, I normally loosen the black

disc all the way, so there is less stress on the string while putting the spring end over the bolt.

When you release the string completelly, try to keep a bit of pull on both ends so it will not hop off the big carrier wheel.

/Jacob

Brammie
Not Ranked
Netherlands
Posts 7
Bronze Member
Brammie replied on Wed, Sep 25 2019 2:19 PM

Great. How do I adjust de excentric ring/black disc. I see the nylon tab that points to plus and minus. Can I just turn it with a screwdriver or do i need to loosen the crosshead screw that the metal tab pivots around?

Brammie
Not Ranked
Netherlands
Posts 7
Bronze Member
Brammie replied on Wed, Sep 25 2019 2:19 PM

Great. How do I adjust de excentric ring/black disc. I see the nylon tab that points to plus and minus. Can I just turn it with a screwdriver or do i need to loosen the crosshead screw that the metal tab pivots around?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Sep 25 2019 2:43 PM

Just a screwdriver.

Martin

Brammie
Not Ranked
Netherlands
Posts 7
Bronze Member
Brammie replied on Wed, Sep 25 2019 2:47 PM

Ok got it! Now i have a new problem. The arm doesn't lift anymore. It is lowered now and when I turn the Beogram on it just rams into the side of the record. I quickly turned it off but it keeps spinning, the arm won't move back either, seems to be locked. 

W.Frankenberg / Gandalf
Top 500 Contributor
Heilbronn / Germany
Posts 290
Bronze Member

it may be that your problem is described here and the solution given

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/29276/233348.aspx#233348

but it is also conceivable that the tonearm bearing is broken off, as described here:

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.PostAttachments/00.00.26.82.06/BG3300.jpg

Solution suggestion

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.PostAttachments/00.00.26.82.07/BG3300_2D00_1.JPG

wilfried

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Sep 25 2019 3:58 PM

You got the black lifter arm on the wrong side of the tilting white bar.

Martin

Brammie
Not Ranked
Netherlands
Posts 7
Bronze Member

Martin, you were absolutely right. 
Ok, everything seems to be in place BUT it it is still not working. 

What happens now in order: I put power on the Beogram. The slider with tonearm is in the far left position. The motor that turns the platter is turning. The tonearm is lifted. 

I press 'turn', nothing happens. I press 'lift' nothing happens. I press 'play', the letters '33' briefly show on the display arm but nothing else happens. I press '45', the motor spins faster. I press 'off' (the dott) and the slider moves back but only for about a third of the way. 

Meanwhile the motor keeps spinning. I press 'off' again and the slider moves back further. Pressing it more often doesn't work.

When I press 'off' the smaller motor (blue arrow) spins, but the excentric ring doesnt move. The white slide with teeth moves out (red arrow) shortly before moving back again. All this time, the cog left doesn't move. (green arrow)

My guess; I pushed the cogs (black plastic ones) out of 'alignment'. I mean that i rotated them by hand a bit to try and loosen the slider and that now they are not grabbing teeth properly.

I tested all this without the platter installed, with the top removed (but wires to buttons still attached ofcourse) Maybe there is a sensor that does not let the Beogram play if there is no platter on?

See attached pic. 

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Sep 26 2019 3:52 PM

The subplatter drives all the mechanics.
Fit the subplatter and the platter belt and try again.
Carriage parked position is far right (outside the platter).

Martin

Brammie
Not Ranked
Netherlands
Posts 7
Bronze Member
Brammie replied on Thu, Sep 26 2019 7:39 PM

Yes!!!! It works now. Perfect. I will try some more records but the arm and needle come in far enough it seems. 

Are there more common problems I will encounter in the future?

Everyone who helped; I am very grateful for your time. Appreciate the help.

GaSelle
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member
GaSelle replied on Mon, Nov 23 2020 11:50 AM

Yet another time an old thread here on Beoworld solved my problem. My Beogram 5500 started to lowered the needle to soon for a while and then stopped working last week. Mounted a small screw and nut instead, and gave it a clean and some new belts. Now playing like new again :) Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS