Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Wall mounting Beolab 5000

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member
Manbearpig Posted: Mon, Dec 10 2012 2:19 PM

Dear forum,

I've just purchased Beolab 5000 panel speakers and want to put them on drywall. How do you do that? I do have the original brackets included but the holes in the brackets are pretty small in diameter. Therefore, I have my doubts if whether are fitting rawlplugs. What's your solution to this problem? Broaden the wholes in the brackets, mount them without rawlplugs and proper screws only, or anything else?

Thanks a lot!

Greetings,

Kai

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 2:47 PM

Manbearpig:
I've just purchased Beolab 5000 panel speakers and want to put them on drywall.

Nice speakers, is your"drywall" plasterboard mounted on a wooden frame ?

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

Rawlplug Intersets or similar.

I have mounted 5 pairs this way and they work perfectly. I still have one pair now which have been up for 7 years.

I have sold all the others as I am downsizing my property due to retirement and ill health.

Regards Graham

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member

My drywall is on ferroconcrete fire protection wall because there are some tubes or something running behind it. So it's merely in place to make these invisible. No wood or anything.

I'm sorry to hear about ill health.

I'm doing sort of the opposite right now and extending on my equipment. My Beolab 5000s are not perfetc. A couple of hairline scratches to the stainless panels and the plastic covers. But since they are from 1988 that's pretty normal, I guess (still would have loved to find mint ones).

However, I still wonde, how you get the rawlplug intersets to match the diameter of the wall brackest. The rawlplug intersets start at M4 (or are there even smaller ones?) and the holes in the brackets are 3mm if I've measured correctly. So how do you get this to match? Or am I thinking to complictedly?

Regards,

Kai

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

The holes in B&O brackets are more than 3mm. M4 setscrews fit fine, I've used 100's of them as my last two houses have been timber frame.

If you have no cavity behind the drywall then Intersets won't work, so forget them.

Why not drill into the concrete wall and use Rawlplugs??

Regards Graham

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member

Thanks. If M4 works, I'm fine. There is cavity behind the drywall since there are probably some tubes or whatever behind. Therefore the drywall serves as a mere cover. So there is two layers of drywall, then there is cavity and then there are two concrete walls (which I won't reach drilling) - one of my apartment's building and one of the neighbor building. So I think intersets will be fine.

Thanks once more.

Regards,

Kai

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

With 2 layers of drywall that would be 25mm total thickness. I suspect that Intersets would not function correctly with this thickness as they would not achieve the correct "butterfly" action.

I only used them with 12.5mm sheets and they are fantastic. Among other things, all my kitchen wall cupboards are held up with them and some display cabinets in my lounge room as well as all the Beolab 5000's I have ever owned together with RL140's on swivel wall brackets! 

Regards Graham

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member

This will work Graham, I'm sure. I'll take the brackets to a store and they'll have what I need. I wasn't expecting the Beolab 5000s to be that big to be honest. But the design is really beautiful. They just seem to be more easily damaged than other products from BuO.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Kai

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS