Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beoplay A2 Sound Quality compared to A1

rated by 0 users
This post has 26 Replies | 0 Followers

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 Posted: Tue, Dec 24 2019 2:17 PM

Hi Guys,

I need to bring sound into my restrooms, to give guests a little "privacy" Big Smile

It's a perfect excuse to have another piece of B&O gear. My choice point towards the Beoplay A2 because it's form factor is perfect to what i need to do (hanging to a power socket, hide an Airport express behind, Aux-in Jack…). And i've found a second hand one for a fair price.

BUT, Searching the forum gave me the impression that that little speaker dont have the same love and praise that the Beoplay A1 (which sounds my Bathroom via Airplay too!).

Most of the critisicsm is about comparing it with the Beolit Range ut I didmd managed to get a clear idea of how it perform by itself compared to the A1 one the same use and without considering the size.

I'm amazed about the sound of the A1 so my question is: will the sound be as good or do i must expect some sort of deception because they're very different sound wise.

Thank you and Merry Christmas to you alls.

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 742
Founder
Merry Christmas to you and yours, or should that be Feliz Navidad?

I have both the A1 (natural, royal blue) and the A2 (natural, blue). The A2’s bass goes noticeably deeper than the A1, so if space allows, that would be my preferred option. But remember two things:

- The A2 has speakers on both of its flat sides. If you’re positioning it against a wall, it sounds best with at least an inch gap between it and the wall. This may be problematic if you choose to hang it from a hook directly against a wall.

- An A2 standing on edge is less stable than an A1 sitting on its rubberised base, and so may be more at risk of being knocked off its perch.

Lawrence
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Wed, Dec 25 2019 7:03 AM
I own both and agree with the comments Lawrence makes. I find the bass from the A2 particularly strong/impressive when placed on a wooden floor although that might not suit your requirements.

But ultimately I think both are great devices for what they coast.
matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Wed, Dec 25 2019 8:46 AM

Good Morning and Merry Christmas to you alls. Thank you for your replies.

lawrencejmcook:
Merry Christmas to you and yours, or should that be Feliz Navidad?

Yes, you should not, but you can! Feliz Navidad para ti tambien if it's relevant Yes

Duels:
I find the bass from the A2 particularly strong/impressive when placed on a wooden floor although that might not suit your requirements.

Are you saying that because it will hang against the wall, it will end sounding worst or just that deeper bass may not be good in that "room"?

Anyway, thank you for your both answers as they help me to get more comfortable in my choice.

If anyone interested here is the plan:

The restrooms are quite large for restrooms only but the only power socket is very badly located (just under the light switch) and anything which could use that socket can't be placed around. So the idea is to make a sort of socket with a hook on it to hang the A2. That thing has to be long enough to push the A2 maybe 3 or 4 cm away from the wall.Just enough to hide an airport express behind somewhere against the grill where there's not a speaker. The AE will be powered with the socket/hook and connected to the A2 via Aux-In to join the house music network. Guests should have power on/off and volume control from the device. And I'll need to charge the speaker from time to time unless i found a way to hide a power supply also behind the speaker. This why the form factor is important. I was able to hide the AE for the A1 in the bathroom but here, it's not possible.

All the best.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Merry Christmas to you too.

Just wondering why you are so keen on having the AE’s in the mix?

As a guest (probably just for short amount of time) I’d be happy with using Bluetooth directly to the A1/2.

Do you need these for access to your home network or is it just to provide the internet connection (....which could be done in another way)?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Wed, Dec 25 2019 10:48 AM

Thank you Millemissen,

Thank you for asking as it will help me ton confront my choices!

The main reason is the home music network is Airplay based. I think that when people need to go there, they will not always take their phone with them and go into the pairing routine etc… But they maybe will like to being "covered" by the ambiant music? Comments welcome about that!

Maybe I should be more clear on two things:
- First, by guests, i mean diner guests, not people staying couple of days.
- The restrooms are far enough from the living space to people have enough privacy during a dinner. But, as it make sense theoretically and i love to see that long list of airplay speakers, then… Whistle 

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, Dec 25 2019 11:02 AM

matador43:

And I'll need to charge the speaker from time to time unless i found a way to hide a power supply also behind the speaker.

If you get an A2 Active then the charger connection is USB C.  I am not sure where you live, but perhaps you could replace the restroom power socket with something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maclean-MCE73-Socket-USB-german/dp/B00UTR3830

I did wonder if you could use the USB socket on the AE, but apparently the output from that is limited to 40mA, and I doubt that is enough to keep the A2 charged.

(EDIT: I just tried charging my A2 Active from my AE, and there was no response!)

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 742
Founder
Matador43,

Instead of having to carefully position 2 devices in each room, why not try a single M3 in each room instead? You may even be able to build a combined power plug / wall bracket to hold it beneath the power socket. And it will be fully Airplay and Multiroom compatible.

Unfortunately, I can’t advise on the sound quality vs A1 or A2 as I’ve never heard the M3.

Lawrence
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

matador43:

Thank you Millemissen,

Thank you for asking as it will help me ton confront my choices!

The main reason is the home music network is Airplay based. I think that when people need to go there, they will not always take their phone with them and go into the pairing routine etc… But they maybe will like to being "covered" by the ambiant music? Comments welcome about that!

Maybe I should be more clear on two things:
- First, by guests, i mean diner guests, not people staying couple of days.
- The restrooms are far enough from the living space to people have enough privacy during a dinner. But, as it make sense theoretically and i love to see that long list of airplay speakers, then… Whistle 

Of course that is your choice, but I would not grant my guest access to my home network (mine have access to a guest network for internet connection).

Given that these are ‘rest’rooms, it might also be that your guests just want to ‘rest’ ;-)

Another idea/possibility could be some Beoplay S3’s. Since you plan to have the device/s connected to power that would be no problem - they are designed to be mains connected.

They are really powerfull and will surely give your guests a blast, when they are through with ‘resting’.....and the freedom to choose whatever they want to listen to (using BT)

And you can still get the wall brackets from STBBrackets!

Ok - that would not give you the good feeling of having the ‘long list of AirPlay speakers....I know.

But it would be much easier to manage....BT is straightforward and surely sufficientvforca smallish speaker.

Just an idea and maybe a help for finding the right solution.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

matador43:

The process of hooking ones mobilephone up to a BT speaker is straight forward.....and the guests can choose to do it or leave it for the ‘resting’ time.

I imagine, that it would be more troublesome for them to connect to your music network.

And what if they just want to listen to a podcast or the news.....?

If they rather should be covered by ‘ambient music’, you would have to organize that......play to these speakers from a central point without the guests being involved - is that maybe what you want to?

Lots of options - all depending on what you think should happen.

MM

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Wed, Dec 25 2019 2:36 PM
matador43:
I think that when people need to go there, they will not always take their phone with them and go into the pairing routine etc… But they maybe will like to being "covered" by the ambiant music?

lawrencejmcook:
Instead of having to carefully position 2 devices in each room, why not try a single M3 in each room instead?

Beoplay M3, hands down Yes - thumbs up
matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Wed, Dec 25 2019 5:48 PM

Guy:
If you get an A2 Active…

Hi Guy,

It will be a Beoplay A2 first gen. I've always wanted to try the AE usb port, wondering if it could at least keep useable charge to any device plugged in. thanks for doing the experience !

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Wed, Dec 25 2019 5:57 PM

lawrencejmcook:
Matador43,

Instead of having to carefully position 2 devices in each room, why not try a single M3 in each room instead? You may even be able to build a combined power plug / wall bracket to hold it beneath the power socket. And it will be fully Airplay and Multiroom compatible.

Unfortunately, I can’t advise on the sound quality vs A1 or A2 as I’ve never heard the M3.

Lawrence

The whole house is already "Meshed" with AE stations which relay local wifi and are also connected to B&O sound centers to sound the rooms.
Reasons for that is mostly construction over the years and very low cost (an AE is roughly 20€ and the second hand market for B&O, you know it…).

I like the M3 too, but costs and a certain distrust in anything B&O wifi related makes me stay away.

Finally, in that precise case the power socket is far from where i could have had the speaker standing hence the combo Speaker+AE+power+hook, all-in-one.

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Wed, Dec 25 2019 6:05 PM

Millemissen:
If they rather should be covered by ‘ambient music’, you would have to organize that......play to these speakers from a central point without the guests being involved - is that maybe what you want to?

Yes that what i want. There's always background music in the house and i want to voice it from a restroom source as it would be from the kitchen or the living room. People would choose to turn it on/off or louder/quieter using the BP2 commands but won't be able to choose the music track. Unless they have their phone with them and choose to pair the speaker by BT by themselves.

But usually guest don't spend too much time there when there's a good Bourbon in the living room so it's mostly to "cover" if necessary or better a proof of concept than really for the sake of listening the music they like comfortably seated.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Dec 25 2019 6:48 PM

matador43:

Millemissen:

Yes that what i want. There's always background music in the house and i want to voice it from a restroom source as it would be from the kitchen or the living room. People would choose to turn it on/off or louder/quieter using the BP2 commands but won't be able to choose the music track. Unless they have their phone with them and choose to pair the speaker by BT by themselves.

But usually guest don't spend too much time there when there's a good Bourbon in the living room so it's mostly to "cover" if necessary or better a proof of concept than really for the sake of listening the music they like comfortably seated.

I guess the better your cooking the less time your guests will need to spend in the rest rooms. Smile

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Jeff:

matador43:

Millemissen:
If they rather should be covered by ‘ambient music’, you would have to organize that......play to these speakers from a central point without the guests being involved - is that maybe what you want to?

I guess the better your cooking the less time your guests will need to spend in the rest rooms. Smile

Well said Jeff.....but then matador43 would not have his ‘proof of concept’.

I’d say - go for it....even if it is just for fun.

As for A1 vs A2 - why not just try it out!

MM

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Thu, Dec 26 2019 9:23 AM

Jeff:
I guess the better your cooking the less time your guests will need to spend in the rest rooms. Smile

Big Smile 

I should collect the A2 this afternoon… I'll show you when installed!

Tanks to all who helped.

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Thu, Dec 26 2019 4:22 PM

So, I collected the Beoplay A2 in Ocean Blue this afternoon.

First thing first: the sound is not disappointing at all: same good surprise as the A1 even if the A1 is more impressive, maybe because of its size.
Second: in the Beoplay App, there's an option to add another A2 as stereo pair. I thought it was only a feature with the A2 Active? Anyway.

I setup my little installation starting with the wired hook. You can't see it on the picture but the other end of the cable as a figure of 8 C4 plug to fit the AE:

Then the final assembly:

I've still to tweak little details like the visible part of the plug (will add a silver rim) and the painting and precise placement of the AE hidden behind (where it will not block any speaker and give stability to the speaker against the wall). And to answer lawrencejmcook:

lawrencejmcook:
- The A2 has speakers on both of its flat sides. If you’re positioning it against a wall, it sounds best with at least an inch gap between it and the wall. This may be problematic if you choose to hang it from a hook directly against a wall.

The thickness of the AE and the plug/hook gives room to the speakers to breathe while keeping the A2 vertical.

Cheers!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Dec 26 2019 6:15 PM

What a nice, neat installation! It all tucks up well and looks quite professional.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 742
Founder
Well done - looks neat.

You can pair an A1 with an A1, an A2 (original) with an A2 (original), an A2 Active with an A2 Active, or an S3 with an S3. It should also work with Beolit 15/17, but I’ve never tried. To pair, the models must be identical.

I also have an A2 original in blue Smile
Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
Posts 780
Bronze Member
That’s a very nice install for the A2. I’ve really enjoyed mine.
matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Sat, Dec 28 2019 11:09 AM

Thank you guys,

Final result: the Airport Express is barely visible except from the full side.
The A2 is secured to the hook thanks to a looped rubber ring (hence the reverse position of the hook).

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 742
Founder
Looks great - very tidy! How did you attach the hook to the plug? Glue / screw / other?

Lawrence
matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member

lawrencejmcook:
Looks great - very tidy! How did you attach the hook to the plug? Glue / screw / other?

Lawrence

Well, to be honest  Sad

At first it was only glued with the double side red 3M double side  adhesive, which i believed to be "anything-proof".
But after two days with a pillow on the floor just in case, the hook start to slightly part off.

So i'm now in the process of adding a screw (the one fixing the round plate to the actual hook, but longer to hold the plug backplate within).
The red foil is there for adjustment purpose but would be removed to add stick to the screw.

After that, everything should be "really" done Smile

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 742
Founder
Thank you for sharing your ideas and method. You’ve given me food for thought. I’d never seen those very thin EU plugs until I came to Budapest.

L
matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member

Hi everyone,

I don't think it worth a whole new thread so I'll post here hoping for someone to pass by :-).

Do you know if the Beoplay A2 has a standby timer as the A1 has?
I use them both the exact same way but the A2 seems to never go standby.

I think I've read somewhere all beoplay products have standby timer for (planet) energy saving but it seems mine not so I wonder if it's an issue or I misunderstood what i read.

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 742
Founder
Hi Matador,

My A2 switches off some time after my iPhone stops playing to it. Maybe 15min afterwards.

Not sure if yours is staying on because it’s plugged into the mains.

Lawrence
Page 1 of 1 (27 items) | RSS