Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Taking on the BM8000

rated by 0 users
This post has 168 Replies | 1 Follower

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member
krais Posted: Sat, Dec 28 2019 11:56 AM

Hi all, 

I've recently started restoring an old BM 8000 (type 1901) that I bought second hand years ago. The seller told me that the BM would not turn on (repeatedly clicking relays). I did not try to power the unit up to avoid blowing the output stages so not sure what the actual symptoms are.

After not being able to find a B&O technician in the Netherlands that is willing to take on a BM8000 due to the labor involved I decided to have a go at it myself. I know, I know, these are complicated amplifiers, not really stuff for an inexperienced hobbyist with little knowledge of electronics... I just cannot resist the challenge so decided to give it a try with the help of information available online (beolover website). 

Any help along the way would be appreciated. I love this design so would be awesome to get it working again (or at least take care of the laborious tasks such as recapping and rebuilding the LED displays).

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member

So far I have disassembled the BM and cleaned out most of the dust and debris. Here's the beast with all the boards removed and cables marked.

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member

I'm now in the process of rebuilding the output stages (replacing caps and trimmers), cleaning and applying new thermal grease to the Darlington transistors. Here's the right output amplifier removed.

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member

First question I have is on the trimmer replacements. I ordered Bourns 100ohm 12-turn 1/4W trimmers (PV37 Series). However they seems smaller than most of the trimmers most others are using. Would these be ok or should I really use 0.5W trimmers instead? 

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Dec 28 2019 4:37 PM

Use the good old black Piher PT-10. It'll be fine for the job.

But - I really would recommend diagnosing and repairing before making any "updates" and "improvements".
The initial problem may not be capacitor or trimmer related (indeed I don't think it is in this case) - and by doing a lot of work there's a huge risk of
introducing more faults, - including faults that have no "natural" cause, - and that could make diagnosing very difficult.

THEN - do one module at a time. Adjustments and all.

Now, when you've messed with the idle current settings, you will have to set those right away (both of them!), when the Beomaster starts up (if it will start), leaving you no time to do any other diagnosing at start-up, which could have been of interest with regards to the initial problem.
If you don't set the idle currents (and DC-offsets) right, the Beomaster may not stay powered on long enough for you to do the settings, or if set all wrong it may overrun and do enormous damage to one or both output stages.
Keep an eye on the current monitor of your variac the first time you start up the Beomaster - and cut the power immediately, if the power consumption is not normal.

Martin

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member
Beo_Jean replied on Sat, Dec 28 2019 5:11 PM

I would advise the same as Martin for the trimmers, PT-10 or PTC-10 for the cermet version for better thermal drift.

As for the capacitors, the red ones must go out, from past experience.  Actually, one looks dirty on top.  Might be a leaked cap or liquid with dust mixture...

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Sat, Dec 28 2019 5:35 PM

I have to applaud your ambition....and the amount of work you have already done is quite impressive too. Myself I would have chased down the actual fault before going to town on the whole unit....but hey you are where you are....this is going to be an interesting project, keep the pictures and dialogue coming Smile

Craig

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member
krais replied on Sun, Dec 29 2019 8:58 PM

Thanks Martin, 

It was my understanding that it would be wise to change the trimmers before powering up. So figured I should start with the output amplifier boards first and it would make sense to replace the capacitors on those boards as well. In fact most of the caps I checked were either out of spec or completely gone.

I'm planning to set the idle current and DC offsets with the output boards out on the workbench and refrain from making too many updates.   

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Dec 29 2019 9:30 PM

krais:

I'm planning to set the idle current and DC offsets with the output boards out on the workbench and refrain from making too many updates.   

Great idea.
- But how?

And I agree on replacing the caps, but they will not be the reason for the present fault.

Martin

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Mon, Dec 30 2019 6:43 AM

Hi,

I use this method to do my initial restorations of the Beomaster 8000 output amplifier assemblies. I have also successfully reworked the assemblies while they are still inside the Beomaster but I have found that I like reworking boards outside the cabinet better. Besides making the desoldering and soldering work easier, a lot of the units I have come across have required a lot of cleaning (dust, dirt, debris, rust, etc.). In addition, more than one output amplifier board has required some repairs to burned/damaged traces. 

-sonavor

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member
krais replied on Mon, Dec 30 2019 10:21 PM

Thanks Sonavor, that's exactly the guide I was planning to follow. Those blog posts are so incredibly helpful.

Quick question on the dummy speaker load: I assume that for the DC offset adjustment procedure output power is limited so using two 50W 4ohm resistors in series would be ok? Thanks

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Tue, Dec 31 2019 6:33 AM

That should be fine. The audio inputs to the output amplifier are shorted in my test setup so the audio signal is zero. After the output amplifier assembly is complete I recheck the no-load current adjustment and DC offset adjustment again when the assembly is back inside the Beomaster. 

-sonavor

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member

Finally found time to make some progress on the output amplifiers. Replaced the elcos and trimmers (used the Bourns after all as my local supplier did not have the Pihers in stock). Also, I swapped the 0.5W resistors for 1W carbon film versions to alleviate some of the heat issues (the boards had significant burn marks).

I'm currently working at cleaning the dried out thermal paste and mica insulators on the Darlingtons. However, I noticed that although most transistors had a single mica installed, some had multiple (thinner) mica sheets. Does anyone know if there is a logic to this (there does not seem to be consistency between the right and left heatsinks)? 

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sat, Jan 11 2020 5:56 PM

The original mica insulators were probably flaking apart. Using mica and thermal paste only requires one mica insulator (plus the thermal paste).  Use thermal paste designed for transistor heat sinks. Not the paste used for computer processor cooling.

I like those Bourns multi-turn trimmers as well.

The bank of resistors on the output amplifier board do get hot. The discoloration on the PCB from their heat is normal but shouldn't be black...as I have seen on a couple of boards. I don't think increasing the wattage rating will reduce the heat. Were the original resistors still in tolerance?

-sonavor 

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member
krais replied on Sat, Jan 11 2020 7:44 PM

It's weird, on one transistor I even found 3 thin mica insulators, one of which fell apart when cleaning. Do you think it would be ok to reinstall the micas even when using the thin sheets (I'm using Wakefield 120 for thermal grease btw)? Or would it be better to use sil pads instead? . 

The boards were quite dark but not black. Replacing the resistors was probably overkill although about a third of the old ones measured out of spec.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sat, Jan 11 2020 8:17 PM

Replace the insulators with new mica insulators and grease. You can opt for sil pads instead of the mica/grease insulators if you want. I have restored using both methods without any problems. I just wouldn't re-use the old insulators at this point on yours. 

-sonavor

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member
Beo_Jean replied on Sat, Jan 11 2020 10:34 PM

Good choice on the Nichicons, I like them!

Personally, I'm using thermal pads instead of the micas, much cleaner work and one versus the other, a matter of preference.  Now, if you had multiple layers of mica, I would give the edge to the pad for heat dissipation performance.

I'm also concerned about the cooking PCB.  Mounting the resistors with a gap from the PCB is a good practice if you have clearance on top.  Consider adding cooling for that transistor that seems to suffer from heat too!

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Jan 12 2020 7:44 AM

"Also, I swapped the 0.5W resistors for 1W carbon film versions to alleviate some of the heat issues"
The same amount of energy will be dissipated, regardless ot the components wattage range.
You could do as Jean suggests and lift the resistors a milimeter off the board, though it's usually not a problem - unless completely burned - in which case something else will most likely be amiss too.

Lifting components without fitting some kind of relief under them puts stress on their solder joints, which must now carry
the components weight - "upwards".
The lifted components will easily be pressed down, forcing the solder pads from the board. Vibrations will also be much higher and will eventually cause cracking to the solder joints.
Using radial capacitors instead of axials will also do something like that. Why not use axials?

Martin

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member
krais replied on Tue, Jan 14 2020 8:43 AM

Thanks for the great feedback all, I have ordered new mica insulators and will finish the output boards when they arrive. 

Dillen:
You could do as Jean suggests and lift the resistors a milimeter off the board, though it's usually not a problem - unless completely burned - in which case something else will most likely be amiss too.

Yes, indeed the resisters are raised slightly from the board.

Dillen:
The lifted components will easily be pressed down, forcing the solder pads from the board. Vibrations will also be much higher and will eventually cause cracking to the solder joints.

Good to know, I will be more mindful of minimizing vibrations when replacing components. I'll see if I can add some stress reliefs here and there (on the radial caps for example).

Dillen:

Using radial capacitors instead of axials will also do something like that. Why not use axials?

The reason I used radial capacitors for C205/C211 is that I couldn't find axial capacitors with -10%+50% tolerance as specified in the service manual. Maybe this is not a strict requirement?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Jan 14 2020 10:10 AM

krais:

The reason I used radial capacitors for C205/C211 is that I couldn't find axial capacitors with -10%+50% tolerance as specified in the service manual. Maybe this is not a strict requirement?

It's not that critical. 20% tolerance caps will be fine.

Martin

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member

Worked this weekend on replacing the mica insulators and performing the no-load current and DC offset adjustment procedures. Here are the completed output amplifier boards. 

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member

I followed the adjustment procedure from beolover.com (link). Here's the setup using a small collection of vintage linear power supplies (one PSU each for -55V +55v power rails with 150mA current limit, one for the +15V line).

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member

Setting the no-load current test voltage to ~18 mV

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member

The +55V/-55V power rails were drawing around 100mA. 

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member
krais replied on Mon, Jan 27 2020 8:22 AM

I was a bit nervous when trying this procedure for the first time but it all worked out. The no-load test voltage was a little difficult to get right as the voltage was drifting. It steadily increased from ~15mV to around 18mV after a few minutes. However, the voltage kept creeping up to 19.5-19.7V after 45 minutes as the components were getting warmer.

No issues with setting the DC offset voltage. After warming up the voltage kept drifting between -1.5mV and +1.5mV which I assume is ok. 

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Jan 27 2020 8:28 AM

I prefer adjusting when everything is back in place into the BM.

Do check your voltages when the amp board are back in place.

Jacques

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member

Moving on to the power supply. Here is the board just after removal from the chassis.

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member

Notice that C40 has bursted? This was one of 3 capacitors along with C39 and the one on the board with the voltage regulators that are not original. The guy who replaced those caps made a mistake and put in C40 with reversed polarity which caused it to fail.

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member

Here's the recapped board. I also reflowed all connector solder joints.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Feb 1 2020 9:04 AM

Very nice.
MKS is probably not the worst choice here, but I really would have chosen tantals for the two in the remote receiver amplifier.
B&O chose to use tantals here for a reason.
We talked about tantalum capacitors vs. electrolytics in a thread here some time ago, but I can't seem to find it right now.

EDIT:
Found it

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/25190/202897.aspx

Martin

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member

I measured the -15V voltage regulator IC6 that is connected to C40, which seems to be ok. Any other components I should perhaps check?

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member
krais replied on Sat, Feb 1 2020 11:59 AM

Dillen:
MKS is probably not the worst choice here, but I really would have chosen tantals for the two in the remote receiver amplifier.

Thanks Martin, very helpful. I'll order some tantals to replace the old ones on the various boards. 

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member

Dillen:

Very nice.
We talked about tantalum capacitors vs. electrolytics in a thread here some time ago, but I can't seem to find it right now.

EDIT:
Found it

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/25190/202897.aspx

Martin

WOW!  Thanks a lot for that Martin!  However I always fitted tantals where tantals where used before except for the signal path where I would replace them with films and I will certainly rectify that.  But to add you your outstanding tantal application 101, I do not hesitate to replace other type of capacitors around IC's and controllers with tantals to keep those chips healthy and stable (depending on their purpose of course).  I've seen a lot of people here replacing tantals on the FM circuit boards of the reputable BM4400 with electrolytics and I believe this is a bad pratice.  Thanks again!

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member

Quick update: I finally found some time to work on the Beomaster and continued with the replacement of the reservoir caps. As I don't have a 3D printer I had to come up with another way to secure the capacitors (the new caps are considerably smaller compared to the old ones). At my local hardware store I found some thin walled PP tubing that fit in the cap holders rather nicely. Here are the 4 sleeves cut to size.

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member

New vs. old

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member

Here are the new caps installed in the chassis.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sat, Feb 22 2020 1:49 PM

Looks great. Nice work.

-sonavor

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member

The plan is now to connect all boards and do a power up test. However, it looks like someone made an 'improvement' to the preamplifier and tone control board. First of all the filter out and filter in RCAs have been bypassed with jumper wires on the preamp board connector.  

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member

From the RCA panel a cable is connected to the tone control board (I assume with the purpose of a PRE-IN without the need of U-cables).  

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member

Here's the connection to the backside of the tone control board (P24).

Page 1 of 5 (169 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS