Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Taking on the BM8000

rated by 0 users
This post has 168 Replies | 1 Follower

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Mon, Oct 26 2020 7:45 PM

I'm afraid I did't record values on mine for those. I also don't have my workbench BM8000 completely assembled for testing right now. Otherwise I could do a quick measurement.

-sonavor

dahiyas
Top 500 Contributor
United States
Posts 145
Silver Member
dahiyas replied on Tue, Nov 3 2020 5:09 AM

I hope to replace the connectors this weekend. If everything works well, I will report back on the temperatures. 

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member
krais replied on Sun, Nov 8 2020 2:01 PM

Hmm I might have been wrong on TR210.

I did another round of tests and it appears that my IR temperature gun is not very accurate. What I think I was measuring was the heatsink of TR211 (BF857) which is too hot to touch for more than half a second. In fact, all the BF857s get quite hot both in the left and right output amplifiers (75 for TR211 vs 65-70 for TR207/TR107/TR111). 

I'm assuming that high temperatures are expected for these transistors...  Is there a benefit in replacing these with BF858s as I have read some people do? Or wouldn't that really affect heat generation?

dahiyas
Top 500 Contributor
United States
Posts 145
Silver Member
dahiyas replied on Mon, Nov 16 2020 2:22 PM

Sorry..I have been slowed down due to parts. I started on the updates to the display and ran out of LEDs (lost/damaged couple of them). Half-way through and waiting on LEDs now.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Nov 16 2020 3:15 PM

krais:

Is there a benefit in replacing these with BF858s as I have read some people do? Or wouldn't that really affect heat generation?

No.
The heat dissipated will be the same regardless of the max operating voltage rating of the transistor.

They run warm. That's normal.

Martin

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Mon, Nov 16 2020 4:45 PM

I put my workbench BM8000 back together and the BF858s run around 68 degrees C on that one.

-sonavor

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member
krais replied on Sun, Dec 20 2020 3:26 PM

Thanks for measuring Sonavor and apologies fo the late response (I have been preoccupied with work lately).

Today I did another round of temperature measurements, this time with a small thermocouple pressed against the BF857 heatsinks. TR211 measures at 88 degrees C and the other BF857s on both channels settle at around 82 degrees C (after a warming up period of around 20 minutes, no audio input and volume set to zero). 

Quite a significant delta with your measurements. However still within the working range of the transistors and given they run hot at both the right and left channel not necessarily indicative of a problem perhaps? 

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member
krais replied on Sat, Jan 23 2021 10:58 AM

Finally it's time to wrap this one up. I did some additional tests but concluded that heat dissipation is probably fine. Frequency response, power output and listening tests did not show any additional problems (in fact it sounds amazing). Here is the the Beomaster in its full glory after reassembly. 

Many thanks to Sonavor, Martin, Manfy and others for all the incredibly helpful advice and tips. When I started this project I knew I was in for a challenge given my limited domain knowledge and experience. I faced quite a few problems and setbacks (some due to my own fault) but with your help I managed to get the BM8000 restored and learned a great deal along the way. Thank you!  

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sat, Jan 23 2021 4:38 PM

Nice work.  Your Beomaster 8000 is an excellent example of one.  I think you will find, as I have, that the more you listen to it the more you like it.

-Sonavor

Page 5 of 5 (169 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS